Northwest Administrators Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

Seattle, WA

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris R. Hughes

Pros
  • Eastlake neighborhood is nice, good pay and benefits, lots of promotion potential (in 6 reviews)

• Excellent work-life balance, supportive managers, ability to grow within company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Yes, the dress code is conservative, along with very specific rules that can at times seem overbearing (in 23 reviews)

• upper management is very conservative (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Northwest Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance, supportive managers, ability to grow within company. Many people have been there for their entire careers, which speaks volumes for the company's ability to retain good people. Overall, this is the best company I've ever worked for, and I've been in the workforce for over 30 years. You don't have to sit through pointless meetings or endure team-building. You come to work and do your job. You get recognition for a job well done.

Cons

The office is located on Eastlake, which makes the commute a challenge. Some of the people who have worked there a long time are a little resistant to change.

Advice to Management

A little more flexibility to the flex-plan benefit would help ease the commute burden.

"First "real" job out of college"

I worked at Northwest Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

W/L balance with consistent hours
    Some travel to client sites

Cons

Dress code
    Outdated policies
    Low pay
    Minimal upward mobility

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over

"You don't have to go down with the ship!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Northwest Administrators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positions that don't require a degree. Decent pay. Benefits. Resume builder. Hard to get fired because of union protection and their failings to document insubordination.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Lack of training. No flow. Micromanagement. Segregation between salaried employees and bargaining unit employees. Lack of respect for proven valuable employees. Focus on quantity not quality. Subpar systems. Some higher up's have no pension related experience or managerial experience. Failing communication. Morale is the last thing that concerns this company.

Advice to Management

1) More focus should be placed on keeping your employees who have a track record of willingness, ability, and the determination to provide top notch service and products. 2) Morale is important. not just $$. Please understand that a little attention to morale allows your employees to better serve you and your participants. 3) Benefits administration is not a course you can obtain on campus. You may be able to study courses that support the cortical nature of the work, however it is your top priority to provide adequate training and follow up/feed back to ensure your employees and management can preform their duties successfully. 3) When hiring managers/supervisors I believe it would serve you well to ask that they have (at least) a familiarity with benefits administration & proven managerial experience. Ideally, I think you would want individuals who have a solid understanding of the benefit plans you administer, but because you continue to under value your current employees many have determined that the stress producing environment is not worth the pay.

These are all just to name a few. I am certain your thirst for for money rather than desire to provide a quality service to your trustee's, clients, participants, and employees is going to be your eminent demise. Now I'm not able to project when your sinking ship may rest at the bottom of the benefits administration has been pile, but i do know that you can only get a way with less than mediocre service and expect to keep your accounts for so long. Good luck with maintaining your employees, clients, and participants over the next 5 years. Your past is your past, what are you going to do for your future.

"HORRIBLE company"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Nothing good to say about this company.

Cons

Unless you like being spoken to like you're a complete idiot every day - do not work for this company! You literally are treated like children from the second you walk thru the door. Their antiquated policies have no flexibility and are absurd at best. Example, no drinks at your desk, unless it's water in a bottle purchased for $10 from the company.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at your policies and management staff, completely incompetent.

"claims service"

Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Northwest Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay and benefits. Great location.

Cons

high stress environment and no room for error.

"Payroll Compliance Auditor"

Current Employee - Compliance Payroll Auditor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Compliance Payroll Auditor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Northwest Administrators (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation and bonus are competitive. Good raises

Cons

Not a very flexible company. Very passive aggressive.

8. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Northwest Administrators full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The starting salary for a medical claim processor at NWA is competitive,and they truly value experience in this role.

Training is one-on-one, allowing processors to learn at their own pace.

Flexible hours.

Collaborative environment.

Cons

Parking is a slight issue, but not a deal-breaker.

Advice to Management

Too new to provide management advice.

"Good if you lack feelings of entitlement"

Current Employee - Compliance Auditor in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Compliance Auditor in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Northwest Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The office culture in the Audit Dept. is pretty good if you're coming straight out of college. You'll be working with people that are roughly your age, which is an easy-to-understate positive.

The work life balance is good, and throw out any review that attempts to assert otherwise. You work 40 hours a week, 8-5, not a moment more. Overtime is extremely rare and is compensated. Nobody will ask you to work unpaid overtime. You can have your schedule switched to 4 10s, or 7-4. Not entirely elastic, but a lot more flexible than many, many offices.

Next, you're doing something that's actually positive. You're working to ensure that hard working people get their contractually promised retirement. For some, this is the difference between eating steak and hamburger for the rest of their lives. For others, it's the difference between being able to retire and being forced to work until death. I am alarmed by the amount of people who take pride in having done poor work out of petty vengeance, but I suppose I understand how a high school culture can rob one of their conscience and work ethic.

Next, it's decent experience. Experience in an office, interacting with business agents and occasional big wigs, accounting experience, etc. Benefits aren't bad either (pretty good dental, decent health, meh vision, 401k match up to like 5.5%.)

Lastly, and this can be a con, but you get to travel domestically. In Seattle, being told you're going down to San Diego in February can be pretty nice. They pay for your food and sometimes you finish early. It's not really a bad deal.

Cons

On the other hand, travel can be tough. Audits can take a bad turn and become stressful due to time constraints, and telling an Employer where they erred can be daunting the first few times you have to do it. This isn't the standard, but it certainly happens. Plus, sometimes you have to go to Fresno, which speaks for itself.

It can be tough to find the promotion opportunities. At the same time, I've never seen someone doing great work not have the opportunity for some sort of promotion. Sometimes it takes a while though, admittedly.

The pay is good coming out of college, but it simultaneously isn't enough in such an increasingly expensive city. You will start out a hair below $40K a year and will probably be at ~$45K if you crack the 18 month mark. This is not terrible, but it can be tough to make ends meet in a single income house that (probably) has student loans.

Sometimes, you'll also be punching in a lot of numbers. The job can be very analytical (those who say otherwise were likely doing it wrong), but sometimes you just have to do data entry. For me, it's a relatively mindless way to get paid that can be grating, but for others it seems to be deeply upsetting.

You don't get paid time off in the first year, which is a bummer. Unpaid time off is tough to get, so you're pretty much precluded from any time off (unless it was planned prior to getting the job.) I know that this vacation policy is somewhat standard, so this may be more of a gripe about life itself.

The higher ups occasionally talk about jeans on Friday, as though they've bestowed upon us the gift of life itself. Sometimes they threaten to take it away if somebody wears something against the dress code. I was taught not to grovel for pseudo freedoms. As long as I'm being asked to wear pants in any context, it's not a privilege.

Advice to Management

Give us a few bucks. Maybe give some unpaid time off to the newbies. Tell Employers to report fiscally and to destroy their paper payroll because Eisenhower isn't in office anymore.

"048+"

I worked at Northwest Administrators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a Starbucks across the street.
    There is free parking on the streets.
    There is a nice view of Lake Union behind the streets.
    There is a cool team you get to work with.
    There is a raise every four months during your first year.
    You get to wear jeans on Fridays.
    Eastlake is a nice neighborhood to walk around.

Cons

There are sometimes a lot of crows.
    I couldn't find a 10 key with a big + button.
    You might get a ticket if you don't check on your car.
    You get to wear jeans on Fridays. Why not everyday?
    Toxic environment makes it hard for new employees to like the job.
    The job is very niche and isn't very accounting/finance related (Maybe a pro. I don't know. Rhymes).

Advice to Management

Pay more to keep employees/change the culture. Happy employees = productive employees.

"Not Worth It"

I worked at Northwest Administrators full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are decent.

Cons

Highly toxic work environment. From the first day I started there was no direction. The training was non existent and the person training me was over working there. I asked for training materials and was told "I haven't gotten around to it." There was no rhyme or reason to how this person was dispensing information and seemed combative when I asked questions.

Management was off site and unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Get your act together before you hire someone. On the job training shouldn't mean absolutely no training materials.