Northwest Airlines Reviews | Glassdoor

Northwest Airlines Reviews

Updated May 30, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Death of a proud airline in the name of stockholders' dividends...."

Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Flight Attendant in Detroit, MI

Pros

This industry affords employees the opportunity to travel and learn about new environments. I have worked here 23 years, and I've seen the world. I know Paris like the back of my hand, and my entire goal as a young person was to see Paris. I have been able to know Paris intimately thanks to Northwest Airlines. Not many careers can give a person a child's dream. It's been a pleasure finding different cultures, foods, and ways of life; I would not give up my memories for anything, and for anyone who is adventurous in nature, this is the place to be.

Cons

The hours can be completely insane, and unfortunately the climate is extremely volatile. The only positions that I would recommend in the environment would be to try to get a mid level management position. I'm a flight attendant, and it has turned into one of the worst jobs in the world. It's been taken from an elite status to nothing more than a lackey who is yelled at incessantly by strangers for any myriad of reasons. Management can buffer themselves from such atrocities and do whatever work their ivy league towers have bred them to do in today's workforce.

Advice to Management

Start looking at business as not just business. This mantra that allows senior management to treat human beings as expendable parts of doing business is morally wrong and we've turned a blind eye to it for the last 20 years in the name of making money for the stockholder. Hold yourselves accountable to the world and the the ethics you were most certainly taught as a young person. When you look in a mirror, and if you reach down to the breadths of you soul, do you like what you see? Be honest--new concept.

2. "Great travel benefits, if you won't use them, look for different employment"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Travel benefits, travel benefits, travel benefits!

Cons

I do not feel valued as an employee, feel easily replaced. Leadership is lacking motivation skills and many direct managers micromanage. My department does not feel trusted and everything is checked and rechecked by our direct manager. It is a very negative environment, especially when speaking with the union groups. Benefits compensation are not very competitive with other companies and no tuition reimbursment is offered.

Advice to Management

Listen to the typical employee and follow other companys' leads on valuing the employee. It's getting better, but still can improve!

3. "It's not as bad as some people want you to think."

Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst, Marketing in Eagan, MN

Pros

The flight benefits are fantastic. Unlimited space-available travel for free (or next to nothing) on Northwest and Delta Air Lines' global network.

Cons

Very difficult to benchmark your success versus other peers. Not much feedback from management.

Advice to Management

Success can be made by having a less-conservative work environment. Look at Southwest - they can work hard *and* have fun doing it.

"Roller coaster airline career dependant on timing"

Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Captain A320 in Memphis, TN

Pros

Working a flight schedule allows for irregular work schedule. The good part includes avoiding daily commutes. The bad part might include missing certain family events.

Cons

Sector business volatility is disruptive to many families

Advice to Management

Take care of your people

5. "Join the airline, see the world!"

Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The travel benefits are obviously a big draw. Organizational structure, high turnover, and challenging environment allow for competent people to take on a lot of responsibility early on.

Cons

Below-market pay, benefits, and job security (offset to some extent by travel benefits).

Advice to Management

Don't sell us short.

"How to dodge a bullit."

Former Employee - Captain in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Captain in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

A pilot's career field is very narrow. Northwest Airlines was a good place to work after looking at what has happened at other airlines. A pilot cannot make a lateral transfer.

Cons

As is common in this type of work, my base was not always where I lived. To commute was my choice, so I can't really say it was a major downside. Working conditions were sometimes stretched to the limit of contract and federal regulations.

Advice to Management

Try to play to win, not to not lose. Keep your eye on the ball, not on the other guy. I really feel that some of the CEO's that I worked for, used our airline as a stepping stone to bigger and better jobs. I have nothing but hate for this type of individual. I put in 31 years trying to serve the public and doing the best job I was able. I cannot say that for some Senior Management.

"It cannot get any worse."

Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Airline Pilot in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Still not liquidated. The future must be better than the last 10 years. Bankruptcy is hard to go through, and at least they survived. In this environment it is difficult to have a good job with benefits and pay.

Cons

The company has almost no respect or appreciation of employees. Although the market is terrible for airlines, Northwest strategy has always been to beat the employees and compensate them less than standard. They have shrunk for the last several years, so there has been little advancement. Employee morale is terrible. Some of that isn't the fault of nwa, as bankruptcy takes its toll. The money given to the top few for taking a career from the employees speaks a lot about nwa and corporate America.

Advice to Management

Quit looking out for yourself and start trying to pull everyone together. Ever hear of Southwest Airlines.

8. "Good place for airline professionals."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

You get excellent discounted or free travel opportunities and you will work in challenging industry gaining great work experience

Cons

There is no job security and long term potential due to merger with Delta Airlines. Compensation is slightly below average compared to other companies of similar size.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, they want to sell the company so what advice can you give them?

9. "Nervous and uncertain times ahead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

good company with good ethics

Cons

this is currently an industry which is in flux

Advice to Management

keep working to make this company a better place to work

10. "network analyst"

Pros

it is flexible in terms of timing

Cons

not very advance opps in field