Northwest Community Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Iglesias

1. "Great opportunity to help and learn"

Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I worked at Northwest Community Credit Union part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome training, supportive atmosphere. Co-workers like family

Cons

Could pay better, more competitively for my area. Advancement seems slow.

Advice to Management

Great job! Continue to delegate, encourage people to help other departments. It definitely made me a better employee, fast. Keep it serious and fun, use more incentive games

Apr 14, 2017 – Feedback Coordinator

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how we're doing! We appreciate the feedback and will pass it along to improve the employee experience here at NWCU.

2. "One Big Joke!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

I worked at Northwest Community Credit Union (More than 8 years)

Pros

For years there were many, but that all changed with a new CEO.

Cons

Company layoffs and branch closures to pay for a new administration building with an executive suite which was totally unnecessary and stipends for volunteer board of directors, really?

Advice to Management

You can't fake that you care, actions speak louder than words.

Mar 13, 2017 – Feedback Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We recently began offering compensation to board members in 2017 to stay in line with state and national credit union practices. Learn more ... More

3. "Member Connect Specialist"

Former Employee - North Dakota in West Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - North Dakota in West Fargo, ND

I worked at Northwest Community Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Does a good job of servicing members. Great rates make it easy to sell CU services.

Cons

Training could be more thorough when it comes to policies and procedures. Very little time spent in training on procedures.

Advice to Management

Improve the training period to more than just OJT.

Aug 29, 2016 – Digital Content Strategist

Thank you for your feedback! We'll pass it along to relevant managers. We take pride in the growth and development of our employees and appreciate thoughtful suggestions for improvement.

5. "It's a lot like working for a financial institution...mostly because it is a financial institution."

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Northwest Community Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

Great executive staff. Promote from within.

Cons

Truthfully there were not many cons. Sometimes it seems a bit unorganized but for the most part the company is strong and very supportive of its employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! And always follow your heaet.

6. "A great place to work if you land the right position!"

Former Employee - Consumer Loans Processor in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Consumer Loans Processor in Springfield, OR

I worked at Northwest Community Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From lower management up to the executives there is a great open door policy.

Cons

training department was outsourced, making in difficult in busier departments to develop beyond the initial position hired.

Advice to Management

Don't just listen to your employees, but actively listen.

7. "Phone Branch Specialist"

Former Employee - Phone Branch in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Phone Branch in Springfield, OR

I worked at Northwest Community Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are fantastic and the sense of "member's first" is very good.

Cons

The training is terrible, and there is no sense of being a part of a team. You also are no longer able to dress casually, even though you are in the back office and see no members face to face all day.

Advice to Management

Have more team huddles and meetins.

"No opportunities for advancement, poor management."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

Pros

Based on other employes I have worked these are the things I enjoyed about the place:
    *No time clock, they take you at your work you worked what you did. (however this can become a con, depending on the situation which I have been there with them on before and had to get HR involved)
    *About 90% of your co workers (talking about peers, NOT managers) are very friendly, and are here to help you and want you to understand what you are doing. There are a few managers that are the same way, but most don't care and their training SUCKS.
    *If you are into volunteering, they have many opportunities.
    *If you are happy sitting at a place you will be at 20 years down the road, this is the place for you.... although you will be in the same position you started in most likely.
    *Good hours.
    *Absolutely no goals for back office, (unless you work in the phone branch)
    *Pretty laid back work atmosphere.
    *During company events, they feed you snacks or meals which is nice.. They also have prizes (however they will tax you on these)

Cons

*Managers aren't there when you need them. In my department and in most departments around here they are in a meeting all day and have little social clubs or "book clubs" with the door shut and HATE to be interrupted and aren't accessable for questions, overrides, etc...
    *Mangers in my department and departents had NO management training and are very tight with one another and are rather buddy buddy and play favorites amungst one another instead of giving others in the department opportunities.
    *No managerial training.. How it works here, is if you don't know what you're doing they will move you into that position (training is really quite bad here) and it's very much who you know and who likes you. Since you can be qualified for an internal position posting, and they won't hire you. They will amuse you and give you an interview, but have already hired someone else for the position.
    *This credit union UNDERPAYS their employees more so than any bank and credit union in town. They just lowered the starting wages as well this month 5/2012 to min wage for tellers, and a lot of back office positions. A few positions start at $11, but they all max out at $15-20 an hour. This is after we just had a company meeting not that long ago saying that they were going to re-negotiate our salarys to be comparing to others in our area.. then lower them even more.
    *A lot of people don't work and take advantage of how laid back things are and just sit and do a half ass job and collect a pay check. We are also one of the highest credit unions for overstaffing. instead of getting rid of people to pay the rest of us more who do our job, they keep everyone and pay us all nothing.
    *The ability to move up in the company is almost non existant. You can move laterally however sometimes, but that is rare.
    *They also just changed the dress code to business casual. This is fine and all, however it's per department and what your manager likes and doesn't like. This is one example for how they don't treat everyone the same. It's always "Up to your manager's descression" and your manager could be a hard ass and another's not. And your buddy two departments over can wear capri pants and you are stuck in slacks every day. They are like this with everything, if you want a company that has a blanket way of treating everyon equally, it's not here. Speaking of which, in my department your manager might like you and let you get away with something, but won't let the person next to you get away with it since she doesn't like.
    *They Also don't have rules set for everyone, it's always up to your mager and you can't ever get anything in writing so their mood and the wind greatly changes what is ok and not. One day something is OK the next day the same thing won't be.

Advice to Management

I think everyone in management needs to go to some managment classes and learn basics such as HR stuff on what you can and can't do to your employees, and how to manage a department. From supervisors to managers. As I said it's very much who likes you and who you know here on if you move up instead of your qualifications. That is my biggest advice is people need to be trained and have management experience.

9. "Great company to work for..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eugene, OR

Pros

I only worked there for less than a year, unfortunately I had to relocate out of the area...but the short time I was there was wonderful. I would have loved to stay. They are a very green company, lots of recycling & reusing which I appreciated. They are very involved in the community, & not in the obnoxious way some companies can be...they get their name out there and seem very respected. And there is not a lot of pressure or expectation for the employees to participate by management, everyone volunteers on their own because they actually pick good events & it's worthwhile. I saw a lot of pride from the employees. The managers in my department were the best I've ever worked with...I cant say enough good things about them. Organized, & had great communication. Very respectful & they did not try to babysit & were never breathing down our necks...& that's how it should be. If you hire professional & responsible people, then there is no need to micromanage. They have no time clock here, no annoying clocking in & out which I have to do at my current job & hate it. The benefits were fine, pretty much standard. Co-workers/management/CEO were all very friendly & helpful, I did not meet one person I disliked. All in all, if I could I would go back in a heartbeat.

Cons

Not many...One thing is they enforced a freeze on raises during the time I was there, not sure how long it was going to be for though...but that was pretty much standard during these times in the financial institutions. Most of the CU's I know of were doing that as well.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can think of, I think they are doing a great job...keep up the community involvement & events. Maybe offer more informational training for those who want it.

"Caring People, Great Place to Grow and Thrive"

Pros

Some of the best people you'll ever meet work for Northwest Community Credit Union. In true not-for-profit credit union fashion, this company truly cares for employees, the community, and the quality of their products and services. Great internal advancement opportunities with training, mentoring, and job shadowing. NW offers "Uncommon Care" to members and employees alike.

Cons

A growing business that is learning how to ethically sell products and services to members. Some employees feel that this is a sales culture, however, it is a reasonable step at this point in the company's growth.

Advice to Management

Keep up the town halls, brand ambassadors, and open minds for your employees' feedback and continue striving for greater unity and communication between distant branches and the corporate center. It's a tough topic to handle, but they are definitely doing their best!

Oct 11, 2016 – Digital Content Strategist

Thank you so much for your feedback! We will use it to improve our employee experience here at NWCU.

11. "CEO"

I worked at Northwest Community Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good people. The member is focus of the branch employee's day.

Cons

CEO has created an environment of fear and distrust. The leadership turnover is horrible!

Nov 1, 2016 – Digital Content Strategist