Northwest FCU Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 9, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Jeff Bentley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • But I have been told by employees that they are extremely great benefits (in 17 reviews)

• NWFCU has great benefits and good salary (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The work-life balance and schedule were detrimental to my experience at NWFCU (in 4 reviews)

• If upper management supports this type of behavior one could only wonder what else is permitted against employees (in 5 reviews)

"Left indifferent"

I worked at Northwest FCU full-time

Pros

Gave me a career start. The CEO at the time was amazing! great job, I loved coming to work. Was able to learn and really grow my skillset.

Cons

The new CEO (now former CEO) changed the culture and hired executives that were in it for themselves. Didn't care about the employees or members with the service. It became a bank disguised as a credit union.

Jul 14, 2017 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for taking the time to review, and for acknowledging Northwest Federal’s commitment to training and career building. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

2. "NWFCU; a different type of credit union."

Current Employee - Member Solutions in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Member Solutions in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northwest FCU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was fortunate enough to start my career with NWFCU just as they started to make a conscious effort to change the culture to one that is more employee engaged focused. The organization went under some leadership changes just after I came on board and things have been moving upstream ever since. Upper management is sincere and transparent, constantly welcomes feedback and genuinely cares about the development of their employees. The new CEO and Executive team is so humble and down to earth, they serve us lunch once a month! The benefits are truly amazing. I don't remember the last time I've had to pay for any prescriptions. Our benefits team is always looking for ways to enhance our benefits and give us more. The training I received when I came on board is second to none and the amazing Training department continues to be supportive of me in my role and they are always eager to provide me and my employees the tools we need in order to succeed. I'm proud to be a part of NWFCU and I'm honored to be able to share this journey with an organization that takes pride in setting themselves apart from the rest, by putting the employee first!

Cons

Growing pains. With change, struggle is inevitable. But I have no doubt that the organization's turnaround vision will come to fruition sooner rather than later, because of the way the struggle is managed.

Jun 16, 2017 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for your review, and a (belated) welcome to the team! We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge our continued commitment to employees, including delivering outstanding... More

3. "Credit Union with heart"

I worked at Northwest FCU full-time

Pros

Amazing training, company really want a to do right by their employees, want to promote within.

Cons

That It isn't like other financial institutions and is open for everyone.

Advice to Management

Change is good.. but too much at one time is very stessful.

Jun 2, 2017 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for taking the time to review, especially for noting our commitment to employee development. We hope your time with Northwest Federal offered you many such opportunities and wish you the... More

"Polar opposite"

I have been working at Northwest FCU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They go out of their way to show appreciation for their employees,
    The benefits are great.

Cons

The computer systems are old and not user friendly.

The departments are all very different in how they operate. I have notice very click-ish management and at times it can be difficult to function in your role.

May 17, 2017 – Northwest Federal

We’re pleased to hear you recognize our commitment to employee satisfaction in all its forms, whether through supporting workplace morale or providing exceptional benefits. If you have suggestions on... More

"Much Better - Real Improvement Lately"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northwest FCU full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acting CEO and new CFO seem to really care about Employees which is very different than prior CEO. Health insurance is good and 401(k) match is decent.

Cons

A recent promotion of an executive seemed rather odd considering this person has no experience and is not good with understanding people's reactions. PTO and Tuition Reimbursement programs are not competitive. Pay for most positions is well behind regional standards for similar roles.

Advice to Management

Keep working on making progress. However, re-evaluate some members of the executive team. Some are good fits while three are not for this new employee focused culture. Stop empire-building from occurring at the SVP and VP level.

May 17, 2017 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our continued focus on making Northwest Federal a great place to work and our focus on upward mobility for employees. If you have questions or suggestions... More

"Stay Clear"

I have been working at Northwest FCU full-time

Pros

Some great and committed operational people

Cons

Lacking culture and capable leadership

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect

Feb 22, 2017 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for acknowledging our talented operations team members. Northwest Federal has a culture that fosters employee involvement in the credit union and our community. We hope that you have taken... More

"Lacking Infrastructure"

Current Employee - Collector in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Collector in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northwest FCU full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and perks, decent/competitive pay, plenty of opportunities for advancement or lateral growth - if you're interested in cross-training,

Cons

Understaffed, overworked, unrealistic expectations of employees (anyone not on the board), borderline toxic environment

Advice to Management

Review your systems and manpower and adjust your expectations. Don't focus on growth; fix the weak, inadequate infrastructure.

Consider sensitivity training or review your team leads', supervisors', managers', etc., compliance/application of the skill set.

Keep working hard, we see it and we know who cares and who doesn't - who's there to perform and who's there to collect a paycheck. Unprofessional, indifferent, attitudes in management is toxic.

It's great that there's a committee for change but it's like voting in elementary school. Just an exercise in futility. There's no power backing the committee, or very minimal power. It's a front to appease the masses and it's obvious.

Jan 3, 2017 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for acknowledging the excellent benefits we have at Northwest Federal as well as the emphasis on development and engagement. We encourage you to speak with your Manager, Human Resources or... More

"IT Analyst"

I worked at Northwest FCU full-time

Pros

Good benefits especially health benefits - very friendly people

Cons

Not good pay -- Very minimum pay

Advice to Management

give more pay

Dec 19, 2016 – Northwest Federal

Thanking you for taking the time to post about the excellent benefits and great employees we have at Northwest Federal. We are pleased to share that our employees earn competitive salaries in line... More

9. "MSR"

Former Employee - Msr in Leesburg, VA
    Former Employee - Msr in Leesburg, VA

Pros

Great Benefits and somewhat flexible schedule

Cons

Sometimes the members were rude

Dec 5, 2016 – Northwest Federal

We thank you for your employment with Northwest Federal and wish you the best of luck in your new career. Thank you for taking the time to post a review about the great benefits and flexibility that... More

"In the end a great place to work"

Current Employee - Management in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Management in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Northwest FCU (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity for internal/professional growth - outstanding training programs, talent development plans, engagement committees.

Great benefits - better than 95% of other employers. Great 401(k) match. Competitive pay and to some extent, flexible work schedules (must meet the retail needs of our members!). On-site free access fitness center and "wellness" room. Reduced fee on-site day care. Birthday off plus paid volunteer time off. Decent PTO program including a PTO donation policy. Tuition assistance too.

Lots of complaints on this site, but honestly I do not see many of them as "real." The voices of a few disgruntled employees who cannot or will not adapt to the changes required in a growing organization should not distract from all of the good. Higher expectations are often hard to accept. Coasting along, remaining unengaged, is not accepted or rewarded.

Finally, with regard to HR and Marketing - as some have specifically called out those groups, my experience has been totally different. If acting as change agents in moving the organization forward, if not accepting the status-quo, or not joining in the pity parade makes those groups "yes" people to management, then so be it. It looks like both groups have gone through significant change themselves with new leadership and new directives...they're doing a great job in my estimation.

Cons

High volume and growing pains are quite evident. The organization's management has gotten some thing right and some things wrong. Those "wrong" things have been sometimes painful. However, the management team seems to want to learn from its mistakes.

Consistency in communication. Communication should be strengthened. Sometimes it appears that different departments have different agendas and these sometimes cause confusion and clashes. Departments should work to find ways to collaborate not blame.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the rank-and-file employees - recent efforts to do so have been noticed. Find a common voice and common thread - start working collaboratively and less like silos. Everyone at the credit union is important - no one department holds court over any other.

Oct 24, 2016 – Northwest Federal

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on the benefits of working for Northwest Federal and opportunities for improvement. We have a sincere commitment to involving employees at all... More