Northwest Farm Credit Services Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Northwest Farm Credit Services President and CEO Phil DiPofi
Phil DiPofi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Everyone should work here!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NWFCS really does put it's customers and employees first. They are doing the right things to help customers and take care of their employees as well. Supporting rural communities and agriculture is at the heart of our business and we remind ourselves of that everyday! What a great concept! It is very refreshing to work for a company with this as their culture. I have yet to meet an employee that is not happy here. If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to work here you should do it!

Cons

I have yet to find anything here to complain about. They are doing the best for customers and employees. I wish I would have been fortunate enough to find this company years ago. They are a very quite giant!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! You are doing the right things for the communities we live in!

Jun 23, 2017 – Director

Thank you for the kind words; we're glad you found us!

2. "Great Employee Focused Company"

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides excellent training for new employees, my work life balance has never been better, does an excellent job recognizing successful objectives and outstanding employee contributions. Good people with an important mission.

Cons

Highly disengaged/toxic employees aren't actively addressed even if there aren't many, its noticeable when the issue is ignored by management and peers are forced to deal with a problem employee. Many employees have a very long tenure and strong relationships making it hard for new employees to feel like they are part of the group.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the things you do well, increase focus on addressing disgruntled and negative employees, ideally implement a confidential 360 review so feedback on managers is done by those "in the know" who see a different side from the manger's supervisor.

3. "Northwest FCS is a caring and progressive company"

Current Employee - Training Analyst in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Training Analyst in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Northwest FCS cares about its employees, both professionally and personally. It invests time and money toward each employee's growth by offering training to keep staff skills current and meet expectations of staff. Supervisors and leadership staff are also required to participate in high performance leadership courses that make them effective leaders. In addition, Northwest supports and even encourages volunteer work during work hours to uplift our communities. On a personal level, they are supportive of personal situations that arise and require staff to be out for an extended period of time. The employees at Northwest FCS are quality people that I enjoy spending time with outside of work. Great company employing great people!

Cons

Our new building is so big we don't see enough of each other!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your staff!

4. "Best career decision, impactful life decision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked for several companies and this, by a wide margin, is the best for four reasons:

1. Purposeful: the company has a clear plan and follows it

2. High-Performing Industry Leader: the company is profitable/successful, and is one of the national leaders in the industry in a variety of ways

3. Conscious: the company cares about it's people and this comes through in policies, benefits, wellness, training programs, etc.

4. Aligned: the purpose, promise, and values of the company, employees and customers are largely in alignment which makes work meaningful and effective - there is a flow to it.

The outcome of these four points make work fun and have positively impacted most other areas of my life as I now look forward to work each day. Bottom line for me: I'm a healthier person because of working here.

Cons

There are of course one-off exceptions to the above as no company is perfect. There are two cons for me:

1. I find that most of the folks who function in negative ways at Northwest FCS have limited experience in other companies and don't know how good they have it at Northwest FCS. These folks can be a drag, but there are seemingly less and less of them.

2. Because it's a high performing organization, it can be intimidating at first for a new comer to get up to speed. However, there is quality training and a lot of organizational investment into employees....and if you are a high performer this can actually be an attractive feature/challenge as its fun to be part of a winning team.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and thanks for doing it!

"Credit Officer"

I have been working at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time

Pros

Great company with awesome benefits and training program for young adults out of college. Very involved in the agriculture community and heavily involved in being committed to their customers.

Cons

You often get stuck in places you don't want to be, hard to move up in positions if you aren't willing to relocate.

Feb 1, 2017 – Director

Thank you for acknowledging our benefits and training program; a great deal of thought and effort go into these endeavors. I also appreciate your observation that sometimes at Northwest FCS... More

"Excellent Organization"

Current Employee - Corporate - Operations in Spokane, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate - Operations in Spokane, WA

Pros

Excellent benefits and a great working environment. Great learning/training opportunities. They give many extra perks throughout the year as well. I have worked for many companies that give lip service to a "family" atmosphere, but this company actually lives it.

Cons

Pay is comparable for other positions in the market. The pay may not be the highest that you will find, but the culture and additional perks make up for any pay discrepancy.

"Relationship Manager"

Pros

This company provides great benefits with top-notch HR support and the new headquarters facility is a beautiful place to come to work each day!

Cons

I don't think this is a con but if you want to work here you better come prepared to work hard and hold yourself to high standards.

"Headquarters employee"

Pros

A very progressive company that provides financing and related services to farmers, ranchers, agribusinesses and rural America.
    Strong focus on stewardship and corporate giving--monetary donations and supporting staff volunteerism.
    Employees share a common purpose and that helps foster good work relationships.
    Opportunities for growth and advancement for employees with strong interpersonal skills who are willing to commit the time, enhance their abilities and potentially relocate if needed
    Good benefits and tuition or training reimbursement
    A few items that could be changed (but that applies to any company), but overall a great work experience and employer

Cons

Nothing to mention at this time.

"Ideal for Interns"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Pros

Northwest provides excellent treatment to their employees and customers. They have a genuine, customer-focused culture that distinguishes them from their competitors. The work environment is positive and team-oriented. The majority of the staff are extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what they do and how their work contributes to the overall success of the company. For an intern, it is an ideal place to learn how to be a professional.

Cons

There are no cons that I am aware of.

"Good Vision but Hidden Drama"

Former Employee - Customer Facing
    Former Employee - Customer Facing

I worked at Northwest Farm Credit Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Awesome vision for helping rural communities. Strong internal training program. Generally friendly people. Competitive pay with a fairly new compensation plan that seems straightforward and fair.

Cons

Lack of guidance for employees regarding career path growth. Promotions seem largely motivated by years spent with the company, favoritism, and secret management plans rather than by fair evaluations of knowledge and experience. Lots of rumors and little transparency from upper level management. HR is virtually absent (unavailable) unless you are a new employee. Workplace drama and bullying goes unaddressed in some branches and is overlooked in favor of keeping "high margin" employees. Technology is improving but is outdated and slows down work at times. The company takes a conservative approach to adapting new technology, which is a lower risk business model, but it takes away from employee growth and satisfaction. In terms of technology (and a few other areas as well), learned skills/programs are not transferable (or desirable) to other companies, creating a challenge if you need to look for other work. This company will hire people from any personal background, but diversity is lacking, particularly at the upper levels of the company. White, able-bodied men with agricultiral backgrounds and lifestyles seem to be more successful here than others. For recent college grads, make sure you understand what you commit to. The pipeline training program is brutal. You have to commit to a job without actually knowing where you will be working permanently (location and/or position). That makes it difficult to negotiate salary and then settle down with a strong personal life right out of college.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about plans for the company - not just financial goals, but business organization goals as well. Eat a piece of humble pie and recognize that you are NOT the best company out there to work for. Many people have fit in well and enjoyed employment with you for many years. You are also an industry leader. However, there are a fair number of other banking and financial institutions out there of various types that are ahead of you in a lot of ways. You are comparing yourself to other Farm Credits accross the country, but your employees are comparing you to regional businesses that might be better places to work, even if those places don't have the same wholistic vision as you do. Also, figure out a way to rein in the drama and gossip, as it makes for a toxic environment.

Mar 31, 2016 – Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for giving a shout out to our benefits, compensation, and training programs. Taking care of our employees and the rural communities we serve is a top priority... More