Northwest Florida State College Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 17, 2016

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Adjunct Mathematics Professor in Niceville, FL
    Former Employee - Adjunct Mathematics Professor in Niceville, FL

I worked at Northwest Florida State College part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

NWFSC has a very flexible teaching and tutoring schedule. They have been a great school to work for over seven years.

Cons

Never leave the school. It is hard to get back into Northwest Florida State College. Once you leave, there is always someone else to take your place 😊.

2. "Overworked, Underpaid, & Abused without any future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niceville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niceville, FL

I have been working at Northwest Florida State College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with a lot of nice people, and get to meet a lot of new students daily. I love helping people in my job it is nice!

Cons

Supervisors and senior administrators are very mean, rude, and hostile. They threaten your job if you don't basically work for free after hours, and throw duties onto you which amounts to you doing 2 or even 3 full time jobs. If you are full time you are salaried so they force you to work far above 40 hours a week without any pay or comp time. If you protest they just threaten to fire you. You don't get a fair wage, or raises, and they never promote people on campus and tend to hire outside the college. Management also tends to be arrogant and literally treats people like they are less than human. I do not recommend working here for too long.

Advice to Management

Be nicer!!! pay your employees fair! It is not right that someone who literally doesn't do anything at the college gets $120k per year but someone who is doing the work of 2 or 3 people gets $24k/yr. STOP STEALING FROM THE COLLEGE! And treat your coworkers like human beings and not slaves.

3. "Hostile Environment, Poor Management, No Career Path..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niceville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niceville, FL

I worked at Northwest Florida State College full-time

Pros

The people you work with are great, as most employees of the college love the institution and want to make it better. They work hard to ensure that their support props up NWFSC. Honestly the only good thing about working here is your coworkers, and the flexibility offered by the generous vacation and sick leave package.

Cons

The college is notorious for hiring underqualified, hostile individuals in senior management positions. They will also promise a career-path but if you ask anyone who has worked there for more than a few years, they will tell you that it is extremely rare for anyone to be promoted on campus, let alone be considered for a vacancy, internal or otherwise. Those who are promoted tend to occur under dubious circumstances.

The pay is also far below local market standards. Benefits are mediocre and can be very expensive if you have a family, as employees get "Free" coverage for themselves, but if they have a family it can be over $700 per month!. They also put you on a contract, which requires yearly renewal, so you never know if you're going to have a job or not! The environment is also based on fear as anyone that speaks out will be dealt with.

The college is going through numerous financial troubles and may not be around in the near future, so plan accordingly.

Advice to Management

Develop your people, setup a career advancement plan for them. Remove hostile individuals from positions of leadership and try to cultivate a more respectful, less fear based work environment.

5. "An excellent public college to work for."

Former Employee - Tutor in Niceville, FL
    Former Employee - Tutor in Niceville, FL

I worked at Northwest Florida State College part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked in the Learning Resources Center as a tutor. My supervisor mentored me and working with another students only made me a better student and worker.

Cons

The college had a major data breach in 2012. Not sure if it was properly evaluated after it became public knowledge.

6. "I love my job!"

Current Contractor - Associate Professor in Niceville, FL
    Current Contractor - Associate Professor in Niceville, FL

I have been working at Northwest Florida State College as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Northwest Florida State College has outstanding, professional leaders.

Cons

Working on a contract as an adjunct can be stressful; instructors who are not full time rely on enrollment, so if a class doesn't make you might not have any classes to teach.

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "missed opportunities"

I worked at Northwest Florida State College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The college does attract good quality people and the work environment is decent.

Cons

Lots of improvement to be done - people should be treated like the best asset, instead of treating some tiers of employees as expendable.

Advice to Management

Work on culture and don't assume there is no room for improvement because things are "satisfactory". If good employees are leaving for other jobs, you're missing something.

8. "I enjoyed working for this company"

Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Niceville, FL
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Niceville, FL

I worked at Northwest Florida State College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was helping students with special needs

Cons

my job was only for a little while

Advice to Management

My boss had passed away

9. "MKEI is a good place to start your career, offering experience in laboratory and office settings."

Former Employee - Laboratory Manager in Niceville, FL
    Former Employee - Laboratory Manager in Niceville, FL

I worked at Northwest Florida State College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

MKEI offers flexible schedules in a learning environment within an active research facility. MKEI researches the effects nutrients may have on phytoplankton populations. Field and office experience

Cons

Interns are hard to come by and may leave at the end of each semester. This job is at a college, so nine month school calendar for interns.

Advice to Management

Keep your research active and try to find an exceptional laboratory manager.

10. "Working here is ok."

Current Employee - Staff Assistant
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant

Pros

Can stay local and don't have to travel far for work.

Cons

The college does not have admission standards.

Advice to Management

None

11. "If company reputation doesn't matter to you..."

Current Employee - Staff Assistant II
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant II

Pros

Employees are granted much time off

Cons

Very little funding in the education field

Advice to Management

Respect subordinate employees & try to be more ethical