Northwest Lineman College Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2019

4.3
Northwest Lineman College President Aaron Howell (no image)
Aaron Howell
1 Rating
  1. Featured Review

"Great Company, Amazing People"

Current Employee - Internal Communications and Engagement Manager

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

NLC cares deeply about their employees, and ensures that they are not only well compensated, but that they are provided a productive and healthy work environment as well. Even with rapid growth the culture promotes a cohesive team of A players--I seriously work with the greatest and best people. Always dynamic, innovative, and committed to their core values of Passion, Integrity, and Excellence.

Cons

Because of rapid growth and expansion of training offerings, there is constant change which can be challenging. I don't mind it, but if you're not flexible and easily adapt to change it probably isn't the best fit for you.

Northwest Lineman College2019-08-20

"Best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oroville, CA

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've worked for many different company's in the power line industry and I can honestly say that NLC treats employee's better than anywhere I've worked. The staff gets along great, and we have a ton of fun with no drama. It's kinda like having a second family. The best thing about this job is the students, there is not a more rewarding job in the world. You get to make a positive change in someones life almost every day.

Cons

While the pay and benefit package is very good, I personally took a cut in both to come work here. With that being said, I also get to see my family on a daily basis and don't have to think about the phone ringing every time the wind blows.

Northwest Lineman College2017-03-30
  3. "Northwest lineman college electrical lineworker program"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Oroville, CA

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Hi levels of camaraderie. Great pay. Great satisfaction from student success. No call outs. Half-day Fridays. Good benefits. Extra pay for additional training. Opportunities to train in every area of power delivery. appreciation for management = straight talk & profit-sharing

Cons

None. Sometimes it gets repetitive but you learn to deal wi sometimes it gets repetitive.

Northwest Lineman College2017-03-30
  4. "Instructor"

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time

Pros

Great culture, excellent benefits and overall positive working environment. There is a strong brotherhood between the instructors. We are able to help each other out and we work together as a team. We are coworkers but we are also friends.

Cons

The pay is less than what I was making at the utility where I used to work. But, Instructors can earn additional pay for teaching elective or other advanced courses. Overall, it is worth it for me because I'm not traveling much anymore so I can spend more time with my family.

Northwest Lineman College2017-03-10

"Sad sad place"

2.0

I worked at Northwest Lineman College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The students are great to teach and build relationships with.

Cons

The staff is phony at every level. Opinions aren't considered. $13,000 for 15 weeks. And the students are simply educated ground help. A REAL college is cheaper than that.

Northwest Lineman College2017-02-28
  6. "Admin Staff"

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College

Pros

Great Co-workers, amazing benefit package. Every employee is dedicated to the success of our customers both internally and externally.

Cons

Continual company change with the intent of constant improvement. This might be a con for some people who are not comfortable with change overall or it will make you become much better at learning how to handle it.

Northwest Lineman College2016-04-04
  7. "Industry Relations"

Industry Relations Manager in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College for more than 8 years

Pros

I love what I do here at the campus. I also love the fact I have the ability to go outside and train other lineman and share experiences with them. No other company I ever worked for allowed that to happen. This keeps me current in the industry with the trade and materials.

Cons

As the industry changes all the time I think we should attend some of the trade shows each year to interact with the industry professionals to talk and share Ideas with training needs etc.

Northwest Lineman College2015-04-10
  8. "Dynamic, Exciting, Rewarding, Workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Meridian, ID

Pros

The college places the highest value on attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals. To accomplish this wages and benefits are very desirable. A huge pro is that they have an internal training department which provides training and education improving the effectiveness of each employee. The college is committed to and has received awards for work schedule flexibility. Employees are always provided the resources they need to perform their jobs at a high level. The college is receptive to change and encourages innovation at all levels. Outstanding performance is recognized through a high level awards program. The power delivery and communications Industries are dynamic which makes training and education extremely important. The various training services create an invigorating and rewarding environment since they provide such positive impact on the trainees. The college has grown to the point where there are career opportunities for advancement. The best place I have ever worked.

Cons

For the training staff working at the college removes you from the day to day reality of the industry so you need to make a special effort to stay connected with what is going on outside the college. This is not difficult if you connect with individuals in the trade and keep up on changes through the typical information sources - internet, trade magazines etc.

Northwest Lineman College2015-04-08
  9. "The flexibility here is the next best thing to working for yourself!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time for more than a year

Pros

First thing I have to say is that the benefits are fantastic—and that is a good sign of a company that cares about its people. Also, the culture of autonomy is perfect for self-motivated individuals that like to construct their own schedule and workflow. The company is very diligent in their hiring, so all the people here are a great fit, and wonderful to work with. This is easily one of the best companies I have ever worked for, and I have worked in some great places. Paid time off accrues quickly and is easy to use; that's another definite plus!

Cons

Compensation could be better, but the benefits make it doable. There is a little bit of nepotism, but it hasn't adversely affected the culture as far as I can tell.

Northwest Lineman College2014-07-21
  10. "Truly the best job in the world!"

5.0

Pros

Not only do I get to work with awesome people, I have the ability to demonstrate my passion for life long learning. The company has a corporate university where I can take classes during work hours!

Cons

Because there are so many exciting things going on, it is hard to find the time to focus on them all.

Northwest Lineman College2014-07-18