Northwest Lineman College Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Northwest lineman college electrical lineworker program"

Current Employee - Training Specialist in Oroville, CA
    Current Employee - Training Specialist in Oroville, CA

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hi levels of camaraderie. Great pay. Great satisfaction from student success. No call outs. Half-day Fridays. Good benefits. Extra pay for additional training. Opportunities to train in every area of power delivery. appreciation for management = straight talk & profit-sharing

Cons

None. Sometimes it gets repetitive but you learn to deal wi sometimes it gets repetitive.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees.

2. "Best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oroville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oroville, CA

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked for many different company's in the power line industry and I can honestly say that NLC treats employee's better than anywhere I've worked. The staff gets along great, and we have a ton of fun with no drama. It's kinda like having a second family.
    The best thing about this job is the students, there is not a more rewarding job in the world. You get to make a positive change in someones life almost every day.

Cons

While the pay and benefit package is very good, I personally took a cut in both to come work here. With that being said, I also get to see my family on a daily basis and don't have to think about the phone ringing every time the wind blows.

3. "Instructor"

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time

Pros

Great culture, excellent benefits and overall positive working environment. There is a strong brotherhood between the instructors. We are able to help each other out and we work together as a team. We are coworkers but we are also friends.

Cons

The pay is less than what I was making at the utility where I used to work. But, Instructors can earn additional pay for teaching elective or other advanced courses. Overall, it is worth it for me because I'm not traveling much anymore so I can spend more time with my family.

"Sad sad place"

I worked at Northwest Lineman College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The students are great to teach and build relationships with.

Cons

The staff is phony at every level. Opinions aren't considered. $13,000 for 15 weeks. And the students are simply educated ground help. A REAL college is cheaper than that.

Advice to Management

Stop the nepotism.. the family members will sink the company. Hire people who have a clue as to what the industry needs not what NLC think it needs. Besides, Overcharging for tools and materials is horrible.

5. "Admin Staff"

Pros

Great Co-workers, amazing benefit package. Every employee is dedicated to the success of our customers both internally and externally.

Cons

Continual company change with the intent of constant improvement. This might be a con for some people who are not comfortable with change overall or it will make you become much better at learning how to handle it.

"Maintenance technician"

Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Maintenance Tech in Denton, TX

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good amount of pto. Get to work with the next generation of lineworkers. Get do as much or as little "work" as you want.

Cons

Students dont always get the best education/tools to be successful. Strict budget. Not enough tools or equipment for the amount of students. Manaemt looks at bottom line rather than quality of education and taking care of employees

Advice to Management

Treat everyone like we are a team not a bunch of puppets.

7. "Industry Relations"

Current Employee - Industry Relations Manager in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Industry Relations Manager in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College (More than 8 years)

Pros

I love what I do here at the campus. I also love the fact I have the ability to go outside and train other lineman and share experiences with them. No other company I ever worked for allowed that to happen. This keeps me current in the industry with the trade and materials.

Cons

As the industry changes all the time I think we should attend some of the trade shows each year to interact with the industry professionals to talk and share Ideas with training needs etc.

Advice to Management

Work and travel safe. Learn all you can while at Northwest Lineman College and stay open minded at all times.

8. "Dynamic, Exciting, Rewarding, Workplace"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The college places the highest value on attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals. To accomplish this wages and benefits are very desirable. A huge pro is that they have an internal training department which provides training and education improving the effectiveness of each employee. The college is committed to and has received awards for work schedule flexibility. Employees are always provided the resources they need to perform their jobs at a high level. The college is receptive to change and encourages innovation at all levels. Outstanding performance is recognized through a high level awards program. The power delivery and communications Industries are dynamic which makes training and education extremely important. The various training services create an invigorating and rewarding environment since they provide such positive impact on the trainees. The college has grown to the point where there are career opportunities for advancement. The best place I have ever worked.

Cons

For the training staff working at the college removes you from the day to day reality of the industry so you need to make a special effort to stay connected with what is going on outside the college. This is not difficult if you connect with individuals in the trade and keep up on changes through the typical information sources - internet, trade magazines etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to position the college to exceed the training and educational needs of the industry

9. "The flexibility here is the next best thing to working for yourself!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Meridian, ID

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First thing I have to say is that the benefits are fantastic—and that is a good sign of a company that cares about its people. Also, the culture of autonomy is perfect for self-motivated individuals that like to construct their own schedule and workflow. The company is very diligent in their hiring, so all the people here are a great fit, and wonderful to work with. This is easily one of the best companies I have ever worked for, and I have worked in some great places. Paid time off accrues quickly and is easy to use; that's another definite plus!

Cons

Compensation could be better, but the benefits make it doable. There is a little bit of nepotism, but it hasn't adversely affected the culture as far as I can tell.

10. "Truly the best job in the world!"

I have been working at Northwest Lineman College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not only do I get to work with awesome people, I have the ability to demonstrate my passion for life long learning. The company has a corporate university where I can take classes during work hours!

Cons

Because there are so many exciting things going on, it is hard to find the time to focus on them all.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I love it here. I hope to retire with this company.