Northwest Youth Corps Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 10, 2017

4.3
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "AmeriCorps NCCC member"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Northwest Youth Corps as an intern

Pros

The farm is beautiful and the staff welcoming

Cons

Students and neighborhood are a bit roudy.

2. "93% overwhelming stress and anxiety, 7% good hard work"

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- adequate shelter and food are provided
    - they're pretty reasonable and will give you office work to do if you are injured
    - you can meet pretty cool people and have special experiences out there in the woods
    - you get an education award for completing your term of service - basically 1500 to 2400 buckaroos that you can put towards any accredited school
    - ideally you do things called "seeds" which are designed to teach you about different forestry jobs and opportunities

Cons

- you will not have solid poops for however long you are on the crew.
    - they hire anyone and you're not guaranteed to have cool fun coworkers that love you so take heed
    - weird mind control games being played around the clock
    - it's like the idealistic dream of a commune living in the woods together, but a hundred times less fun
    - you never get a second alone unless you're relieving yourself under a tree somewhere
    - CREW DRAMA
    - the educational sessions don't actually happen

Advice to Management

please give the crews better food. also the graduation ceremony or whatever at the end is completely cheesy, fake, and unnecessary. just give me my money and let me go home

"Solid in the Field | Shaky in the Office"

Former Contractor - Crew Leader in Eugene, OR
    Former Contractor - Crew Leader in Eugene, OR

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Northwest Youth Corps offers crew members and crew leaders great opportunities to develop themselves and their career prospects for a host of positions in youth services and natural resource management fields. Crew Leaders are well compensated and able to develop themselves within the organization over the course of a couple of seasons. NYC's field program is strong and creates a great, hard-driving culture that can bring out the best in leaders and members alike.

Cons

Northwest Youth Corps is growing and doesn't have the administrative depth to manage everything adequately. As such, programs are beginning to face gaps in support and staffing that diminish their quality and security. The office staff at HQ are consistently overwhelmed and in the position of putting out short-term fires in a way that limits their ability to proactively enhance programs or adequately support staff in the field.

Advice to Management

Focus on what you can do well and reduce the burden on program management staff by running fewer crews or hiring additional staff. Protect what's still working well in the field and determine what will allow you to thrive in the medium to long terms in light of ongoing political developments that threaten our partner agencies and natural resource management as a whole. More is not always better.

4. "Trail Crew"

Former Employee - Trail Crew Member in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Trail Crew Member in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work, great people, learn a lot

Cons

sometimes disorganized but generally doing a great job

Advice to Management

keep it up!

5. "Crewmember"

Former Contractor - Crew Member in Eugene, OR
    Former Contractor - Crew Member in Eugene, OR

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It teaches you how to be independent and snaps you into shape. This job pushes you. It's amazing, I loved it and I will work their again in the future.

Cons

Again this job pushes you, which is amazing and at the same time is horrible. Which makes it perfect, trying, and absolutely relentless.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is this, try to make it so the supervisors and yourselves get paid more than the children that their/you are trying/helping to work and become independent.

6. "Americorps Volunteer"

Former Contractor - AmeriCorps Member in Eugene, OR
    Former Contractor - AmeriCorps Member in Eugene, OR

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the organization is what makes the long hours worth it. As an Americorps volunteer you are given an incredible amount of responsibility to run projects and develop skills. Staff are down to earth, fun-loving and passionate about serving youth.

Cons

Training can be minimal, must be self-directed.

7. "This is a title"

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps full-time

Pros

You work your butt off for meaningful work and if your heart is in it it doesn't even feel like a job

Cons

The pay is so low for the hours you put into it, but this isn't a career job nor a job for the money, and everyone knows that goingin

Advice to Management

Management rolls with the chaos the best way they can

8. "The most enlightening work experience of my life"

Former Contractor - Crew Member and Assistant Crew Leader in Eugene, OR
    Former Contractor - Crew Member and Assistant Crew Leader in Eugene, OR

I worked at Northwest Youth Corps as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great diversity of skills learned, excellent job reference, fun experience, wonderful exercise, travel opportunity.

Cons

Long Work hours, low pay for hard work, no benefits. Challenging experience, at work and at camp.

Advice to Management

More one on one training, for crew and staff alike.