Northwestern Health Sciences University Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "LPN"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Salem, OR
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Salem, OR

I have been working at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work and great management.

Cons

It becomes hard with the difficulties to overcome to help the clients.

Advice to Management

great job.

"Amateur Hour"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

On site gym, residential location close to many amenities.

Cons

It's a junior high version of medical school in nearly every respect: poor facilities, laughably bad management, incestuous board, male-dominated locker room type culture, gullible students who believe they will become "real" doctors but the only real thing they experience in many cases is crushing student loan debt. Save your money and become a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant. Much better ROI and you will be employable/ respected.

Advice to Management

Do whatever it takes to keep your job, you would have a hard time making it elsewhere.

"Faculty"

Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Full Time Faculty in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I felt that there was a lot of freedom to direct the learning of individual courses.

Cons

This institution has changed dramatically in the past 5-8 years. Well over a hundred employees retired or left within a 1-2 year time frame. Those that remain are absolutely miserable. It is an unhealthy work environment. This is passed on to students. Students are miserable as well and complain about everything.

Advice to Management

Go back to your strength - chiropractic. Board members have been chosen by higher administration and never see what they need to see. The entire institution needs a complete overhaul, starting with senior administration.

"Re-organizing their institution. Lots of changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making needed improvements in management.

Cons

Not leaving much older experience and knowledge behind. Many of the older employees were let go, or encouraged to retire.

Advice to Management

Retain some of the old talent that is still there.

"Very positive experience, disagree with negative comments here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined this university less than a year ago now, and I would have to disagree with many of the negative comments stated here, at least from a current perspective.

I was made aware that there were troubles in the past, but from what I can see the current leadership is trying very hard to fix vestigial issues. Since I joined the university the leadership has implemented a strong vision statement, made significant staff changes (that from my perspective were needed; I’m left to wonder if some of the negative comments here are likely from those that were “let go” and are just bitter), improved communication and improved HR support immensely. We actually have an HR department that seems to support us rather than just go through the motions.

It’s not possible for me to know who wrote the negative comments, or from what time period is their context, but as I said, I couldn’t disagree more. I also was not here for any former glory to compare to. But from my perspective at this point in time, Northwestern is a good place to work, and getting better everyday. I.e., it is on the upswing when so many other places are on the downswing.

Cons

The technology needs to be updated, but I've seen signs this is being done now.

Advice to Management

Keep up the progress on transparency in communications, and helping faculty and staff understand the trajectory of the university.

6. "A great place to work that, like most, has challenges"

Current Employee - Professor in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Professor in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The current administration is the best we've ever had. These individuals (from the head of HR, to the Chief Operations Officer, to the Registrar, to the head of Public Relations, to the new Provost) are experienced professionals who know their jobs. They are hiring new employees who will bring us that much farther. Our president is very connected. He is a skilled and credible leader. He has initiated many positive changes. For instance, we funded early retirement for folks who are unwilling/unable to adapt to the current environment. Our middle and upper managers are being held to account for their performance and the performance of their reports. The president and the senior leaders are taking a fresh look at what value is being brought to the institution from all programs and departments. Student voices are being listened to. Women occupy many of the senior leadership roles.

Cons

A lot of baggage from past poor leadership -- people who, although well meaning, had absolutely no business being in charge of an institution of higher learning who held their jobs because they had successful practices. It's hard not to fall prey to the barrage of negative thinking of folks that should move on. Lots of bile still being excreted by unhappy and/or malicious people who feel trapped here because they aren't employable anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to have high standards for staff, faculty and students. Stay student-oriented and patient-oriented and expect it of all employees.

"Financial Aid Counselor"

Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Student interaction is the best thing about this job.

Cons

School is still seeking an identity, which creates chaos and uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees.

"Don't work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

Pros

Students are wonderful; co-workers are also another reason for remaining employed at Northwestern Health Sciences University. Management, (VP's, Directors, and Managers) are all in the know and are friends with each other and HR but, don't share with their employees. The HR Department is zero help to its employees, if you're in Management/Senior Management or have been in those roles at Northwestern for a long time you're golden with HR.

Cons

University is in the process of (once again) finding a new president to lead the University. Salaries aren't great; information isn't shared across departments and isn't shared by management. Poor career advancement and occasionally deliberately holding people back for political reasons, if you're not a major butt kisser, you move nowhere.

Advice to Management

Clean house and get rid of some of the dead weight, way too many Directors! When hiring upper management or obtaining new board members, don't hire friends of the current leaders, that's where the problems with communication etc. happen and you get nowhere.

"Not the best place to work"

Current Employee - Res in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Res in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Northwestern Health Sciences University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Lots of holidays
    Good and friendly faculty

Cons

They struggle with faculty welfare, governance and leadership.

"Patient Service Coordinator"

I worked at Northwestern Health Sciences University full-time

Pros

Great management, work environment, and benefits.

Cons

Pay could be better. The environment has changed since I worked there. It's more corporate now.

Advice to Management

Don't forget to let your employees know that you appreciate all their hard work.