Northwestern Medicine Reviews

Updated May 8, 2021

4.0
Northwestern Medicine President & CEO Dean M. Harrison
Dean M. Harrison
Pros
  • "Great benefits, patient centered organization(in 100 reviews)

• "Good benefits and great coworkers(in 63 reviews)

• Cons
  • "the upper management doesnt care about our position(in 27 reviews)

• "poor work life balance with on call requirements(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Northwestern Medicine and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great company

Apr 20, 2021 - Billing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fair pay, bonus after Thanksgiving

Cons

Because it’s a large organization it’s easy to feel like just a number.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to Work For

May 8, 2021 - Billing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Northwestern truly lives up to their values.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company

May 6, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Huntley, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay and great benefits

Cons

Difficult clinical ladder for nursing, to get large bonuses it is difficult in the community hospital setting

4. 5.0

Great learning culture!

May 4, 2021 - Registered Nurse
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many options for career growth and to advance nursing skills. Super amazing people to work with. Very young group of people with good energy!

Cons

Very high turnover rate because of young workers, moving, advancement, etc.

5. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Punitive salary system for clinician educators; stressful working environment

Apr 30, 2021 - Physician in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lovely location with (expensive) new buildings right near Mag Mile Talented colleagues "in it together"

Cons

RVU system is terrible for non-procedural specialties or for anyone balancing research and clinic - and can lead to annual salary cuts of 10% if you don't meet your RVU target. Demoralizing environment with too many in management and not enough support staff. No work-life balance at all.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Toxic working environment

May 3, 2021 - Purchasing Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

I truly don't have anything good to say about the Warrenville Purchasing headquarters.

Cons

I have worked with some rather difficult people but never have I ever felt the way I did. The leadership used very poor training methods that was very condemning to the entire department, and it all trickled down from the manager. Many people went to HR and the Director about the behavior and work environment that the manager was promoting and no corrective action was taken. I LOVE my job and what I do, but I resigned because of the work environment.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

More Patient's First rather than Employee Satisfaction

Mar 16, 2021 - Operations Coordinator in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Benefits are good if you need medical care that is covered at 100% when in-network. - Nice to have this company on a resume.

Cons

- Be ready as a new Supervisor or Manager to do everything on your own, you will have no support and will need to be self disciplined. - H.R. is rarely involved with employee insubordination issues. Almost all situations are considered a "coaching opportunity". Likewise, there is no support from upper management to assist in this either. - Lack of accountability of employees. (Ex. employees and direct reports, talk down to management. When you ask management you will be advised that is the "culture" of NM and no disciplinary actions would be done.) - Management is not supported (no training tools or programs to assist new hires) - If you are looking for support as a supervisor or manager look elsewhere. - There is no work life balance. - I rarely saw a positive culture and or positive values, it is promoted, but rarely seen.

8. 4.0

Good benefits

May 2, 2021 - Registered Nurse in Gurnee, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career advancement, Tuition reimbursement, $250 health account if you purchase anything that enhances your health.

Cons

Not so great pay given the number of years I have put in.

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Over worked in the call centers

May 4, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL, Optional[IL]
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Pay Great work environment

Cons

Over worked Rude Patients poor mangers

10. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mental Health

Apr 9, 2021 - Safety Companion in DeKalb, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am still employed for now.

Cons

I have mental health disabilities and I have been open and honest with them, and I have worked there for over a year. In the last 6 months I have had two incidents with my symptoms and part of the problem is an abusive authoritarian manager. She wouldn't let another worker take off for emergency cancer treatment. Anyway, now she and HR are forcing me out. They are giving me time to get another job but I am done, after two instances of me crying due to severe depression. Still doing my job, but had tears coming out, not weeping or sobbing just tears.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,218 Reviews