Northwestern Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

1,116 Ratings

3,041 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "They’ll often make you call on friends and family which can create sticky relationships later" (in 398 reviews)

• "Need to be motivated everyday if you want to make sales, no base salary" (in 144 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Financial Advisor"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over the past 5 years I have been working with the firm, I have grown to understand more about how Northwestern as a platform to begin and grow your financial advisory business seems tough to beat. While NM has allowed me exclusive access to their insurance and investment advisory platform, they also are not captive to just their products and which helps me feel confident when doing financial planning.

5 years in so far and I have yet to run into a situation that I had to question any ethical or moral move that NM has made. With them acquiring learnvest to turn themselves into one of the largest tech financial firms in the US, I am excited to see where they go over the next few decades.

Cons

The first few years of building your own practice is tough. While Northwestern prides themselves on their training program and mentorship, at the end of the day, your business thrives or fails based on how much you are willing to work on crafting your skills and building your client relationships.

I have seen a lot of people not willing to put the time and energy into starting their own business and end up leaving the career with a bitter taste because they were to focused on "selling" instead of "planning".

If you are just trying to be an insurance agent or an investment advisor, this isn't the group to join. I have realized NM's focus and current competitive advantage is their focus on comprehensive financial planning that isn't just about selling products.

Advice to Management

Many people think NM is just an insurance company but the leadership needs to start educating people that NM is one of the top 5 investment brokers in the US.

"5 Star"

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Clinton, NJ
    Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Clinton, NJ

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most Client Facing Company in the industry

Cons

Still many consider NML can insurance company not the world class advisory company we have become

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. "Financial Representative"

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

Great training, support from managing director and mentor, strong office culture.

Cons

Difficult business to break into

4. "Associate Financial Representative"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

Great company Family Oriented

Cons

Nothing negative to say for this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

5. "Great Opportunity for those that make it"

Former Employee - Advisor
    Former Employee - Advisor

I worked at Northwestern Mutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome opportunity for those that can make it through. Thorough training and support from leadership. Great culture and positive people.

Cons

It all comes down to your market of connections and how well you can prospect for new potential clients. Dealing with the new younger generation in the workforce is difficult since phone calls are not as prevalent anymore.

6. "Director of Recruiting and Selection"

Current Employee - Director of Recruiting and Selection in Germantown, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Recruiting and Selection in Germantown, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Northwestern Mutual is a leader in the financial services industry. They offer candidates and clients alike the best possible outcomes. Candidates that move into a financial planning role are given one of the best training programs in the country, they have an excellent compensation program and make an immeasurable impact.

In my role as Director of Recruiting, I am able to use my past experience in sales and recruiting to drive the recruiting strategy for an entire district network office, and it carries over to our network office.

I truly feel like I am giving candidates one of the best possible career paths out there.

I can leverage a team of advisors, as well as my own personal and professional connections to drive recruiting results.

Great flexibility in using my own ideas, and my leadership team empowers me to make my own decisions and own the recruiting cycle here.

Great compensation program if you're hitting your goals.

It is incredibly rewarding to see someone leave a corporate america job to join our team, and improve their overall lives ten fold.

Outside of several legal requirements for applicants to get licensed, I am able to have a conversation with all types of people in all types of professions and really help them analyze what type of career they are looking for, and help them make a career change to a company that is going to give them unlimited opportunity to build a satisfying career. Many recruiting roles, you have a laundry list of requirements for different jobs. I don't have as much political red-tape limiting me from talking to great candidates about career opportunities with us.

My leadership team really cares about my growth and development, they put lots of time, energy and resources into my continued career growth. I am challenged to reinvent myself and allowed to use my talents to accomplish our goals.

Cons

Financial Planning isn't for everyone. A lot of people hear great things about Northwestern Mutual - and they are all true, but many people are not cut out for the career your recruit for. It takes time to really study the Financial Planning Career opportunities to understand who you are trying to recruit. You will meet many great candidates that just don't fully believe in themselves and aren't willing to use their talents to do this career.

Many people don't have a financial advisor, so they are skeptical of the impact the profession has on both the professional's life and the lives of their clients. You really need to have conviction around what this company does for others to be successful and if you aren't familiar with the company that can take time.

Other than that there really are no cons to this career.

Advice to Management

I love my field leadership team here, and I think the Home Office is very invested in improving opportunities for the field - keep it up.

7. "Operations Associate"

Pros

Great People, really try and keep you in the company.

Cons

Management sometimes forgets about you and can lead you on with tasks that just waste time.

8. "Associate engineer"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours as well relaxed environment

Cons

Company is in transition job security has been in question.

Advice to Management

NA

9. "Financial representative"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

great culture/ community, client focused

Cons

no base pay, only commission

10. "Recruiter"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

Amazing culture. Lots of opportunities for growth and leadership. Everyone wants to make an impact.

Cons

Very "rep" focused. Think there needs to be more thought towards staff roles and how they can have a long-term career at NM too.

Showing 3,041 of 4,471 reviews