Northwestern Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9

2,568 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You will be asking them to give you numbers for close friends and family (in 327 reviews)

• The turnover rate is very high because there is no base salary for full-time reps (in 121 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing training and culture"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since starting, I have had world class mentors teaching me 1 on 1, and constant attention if I needed it. It's amazing how much people will go out of their way or sacrifice their time to help me learn. I have so much in a short 2 years. I cannot see myself every working somewhere else.

Cons

You have to be a self starter! This career provides a ton of autonomy and flexibility...but the people that abuse the flexibility end up failing. It's important to be a self motivator to earn the money and freedom that you want!

Advice to Management

Keep utilizing a "team culture". I love that I have a team I can go the extra mile for. It's also great being surrounded by people who are in the exact same spot as me. It's fun learning and bouncing ideas off of each other.

"Proceed with Caution"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Winter Park, FL

Pros

The products offered are exceptional, and the overall philosophy of doing the right thing for the clients at all times is attractive. They own the Frank Russell company so their clients have access to them where others would not. They also are a true mutual company so they don't have shareholders to answer to. The profits of the company go back to policyowners in the form of dividends, with five billion to be paid back to policyowners for 2008.

Cons

While the home office seems run well, the field office where most of the revenue generating activity takes place has minimal regulation on how employees are treated. They don't explain compensation, encourage debt, feel as independent contractors that nothing is off limits for supervision. I've seen with some of the female reps this could include their marriage, appearance, weight, languages spoken, ethnicity, age, overall attractiveness, what kind of car is driven or clothes worn. Male representatives seem to be treated more favorably, but I wouldn't want my wife working here. While there are guidelines in the Field Code of Conduct they do not seem enforceable and are more like suggestions.

Advice to Management

Follow the golden rule, ensure that training in processing paperwork is as adequate as sales training so that clients don't pay the price for inexperienced representatives and support the veterans as much as the new recruits. Soliciting feedback from those who have proven successful and actually listening to it might be useful in improving overall operations.

"Difficult Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Financial Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Representative

Pros

Northwestern has a good industry wide reputation and a great internship program for college students.

Cons

Each regional office is a franchise so as an employee you are at the mercy of your managing director. Unfortunately I got a bad one who was extremely negative and had fun putting down employees instead of building up their confidence. As a statutory employee they say you are running your own business. This is not the case after training you must check in for the first 6 months everyday and have to go to numerous meetings all over the state and country. They even expect you to pay for your own way and hotel to the national meeting in Milwaukee. So basically you are treated like an employee without the tax or financial benefits since you are taxed as self-employed at a much higher rate. Also if you quit or are fired in the first four years your commissions are taken away because you are not vested. They try and force you to do joint work by not giving you adequate training so senior reps can steal your contacts and split your comission.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be stricter with the franchisees(managing partners) as to how they treat new reps. The first week I was there I was verbally abused and had a racial slur thrown at me by a visiting managing partner.

"Run. Away."

Former Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Financial Representative Intern in Madison, WI

Pros

You aren't sitting at a desk all day.
    You are not micromanaged- however if you don't produce you are fired.

Cons

Extremely long hours - no personal life.
    My campus unit director got there at 530 am everyday and worked until 6pm or later.
    No training other than how to get people to agree to meetings.

Advice to Management

You should provide more training for the staff beyond phoning. I was never sold on your products, how can I sell anyone else?

"Most expensive job in the world"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Boston, MA

Pros

Uncapped earning potential, flexible schedule

Cons

No salary, horrible retention rate, expectation to sell to your family and friends... Absolutely no support, infrequent paychecks, long hours, etc etc etc etc.....

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Summit, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Summit, NJ

Pros

Got a series 6 and 63 license, plus workplace training for free.

Beefs up resume.

Cons

Terrible culture.

The firm uses its financial reps to sell insurance to their personal networks.

Short terms employment, but Northwestern retains all of your clients, then pesters them for years to come.

Dead-end job.

Soul-sucking work that makes you go home feeling guilty everyday.

Advice to Management

Well run firm, but I would highly advise nobody take the financial representative internship position...ever.

"If you respect yourself and plan to go somewhere in life, then stay away from Northwestern Mutual."

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The flexible schedule. You can work at your pace.
    You can get your insurance license paid for by the company.

Cons

The flexible schedule. If you're not disciplined, you won't work as hard or as much as you would had there been someone keeping tabs on you or monitoring your work.
    You are spending 75% of your time on phones trying to "beg" people to sit down with you for 1-1 1/2 hours so you may try to sell them something.
    Employees are driven by money.
    You're work will be the same every day. There will be nothing different.
    Employees don't seem to ever want to progress or gain more education.

Advice to Management

Give your employees some type of mixed salary/commission compensation. That way, maybe employees would actually stay for a change and the 80% turnover ratio might decrease a little over time.

8. "Good and bad/ wouldnt recommend it"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Potential for high income if you have the right connections and prospects.

Cons

Activity based and management would like you to give their experienced reps exposure to high net worth clients as opposed to focusing more on generating income for their reps and retention.

Advice to Management

Focus on production for reps and not activity. Activity gets them exposure but not income for their reps to stick around.

9. "I hate my job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Good salary is all that is positive.

Cons

Insurance that now has much more coming out of my pocket. (Was sold as 'same as other companies are doing')

No way to get ahead without being one of the 'chosen few'.

Highly nepotistic, in relations between many managers and underlings.

Company touts itself 'family oriented', but absences are counted against the employee.

Work at home opportunities are offered to few people.

Promotions are not based on job knowledge or ability.

Production numbers are basis for being fired instead of trying to train.

People becoming mentors & training who have never done the job they're trying to teach.

"The most horrible experience of my life."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

You can make $100/wk as an intern without doing anything

Cons

Everything else, including scamming friends and family.

Advice to Management

Quit.

Showing 2,568 of 3,655 reviews