Northwestern Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2

1,737 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You will be asking them to give you numbers for close friends and family (in 327 reviews)

• The turnover rate is very high because there is no base salary for full-time reps (in 121 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing training and culture"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since starting, I have had world class mentors teaching me 1 on 1, and constant attention if I needed it. It's amazing how much people will go out of their way or sacrifice their time to help me learn. I have so much in a short 2 years. I cannot see myself every working somewhere else.

Cons

You have to be a self starter! This career provides a ton of autonomy and flexibility...but the people that abuse the flexibility end up failing. It's important to be a self motivator to earn the money and freedom that you want!

Advice to Management

Keep utilizing a "team culture". I love that I have a team I can go the extra mile for. It's also great being surrounded by people who are in the exact same spot as me. It's fun learning and bouncing ideas off of each other.

2. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

Best company!amazing training., great culture!

Cons

This company doesn't have cons!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

3. "Summer College Financial Intern"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

Pros

Teaches you a lot, looks good on resume, is best possible internship if you want to do financial planning and be a financial advisor.

Cons

Pay is not high, must have established contacts and a good network, lots of do it on your own pressure, very sales oriented and pushing products.

4. "Constant change, wonderful vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission and vision are very unifying. Great opportunities to grow. Change is a constant, but the purpose for change is focused on making things better for our clients, so the evolution is positive overall. The workplace is always improving and the company invests in creating a great physical work environment.

Cons

Politically-driven culture. Leadership does not seem to trust high-quality employees enough. Perfection is demanded--little room for failure. Reluctance of leadership to take risks. Training opportunities can be improved and more relevant.

Advice to Management

Clarify what our future holds, continue driving culture change, great job on diversity and inclusion efforts

5. "Very Satisfied Intern"

Current Intern - Cdx in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Intern - Cdx in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, Potential to work remotely, Great mentorship program for interns, Very outgoing internal community, Opportunity to learn new technologies

Cons

Few parking options for downtown

6. "Communications Intern"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

Pros

networking and professional development opportunities

Cons

work load varies per department

Advice to Management

Create a more efficient intern orientation for those that start prior to summer (ex. intern mentorship program)

7. "Financial Representative"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as an intern

Pros

Create your own schedule and great work environment

Cons

The length of the sales process

8. "Beware"

Current Contractor - Contractor in Franklin, WI
    Current Contractor - Contractor in Franklin, WI

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free lunch if you work on campus. People are "nice."

Cons

Risk takers/entrepreneurial types not appreciated. NM tries to pretend they are moving into cutting edge tech and products but the vision is based on middle age white man's ideas. Now appears they are trying to remake themselves into a "digital" company, where one can buy products online, bypassing the field salesperson. I don't know how this will shake out in the end. Problem is their portfolio is largely invested in bonds, which as we all know, have paid next to nothing for years. So that's a good time to build a massively expensive new headquarters which will be mostly empty since NM sent all operations to the Franklin, WI site. NM has never paid "market" rate for most positions, and hence loses the most highly skilled people to other opportunities on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the current CEO, who made a big mistake mortgaging the company future by spending megabucks on a non-essential new office building. Don't expect big things from LearnVest (the "online" investment platform that NM paid big bucks to acquiire:) putting all your personal financial details/passwords/access to your investment accounts online is putting you at risk for hacking and identity theft--I've had problems like this with other investment firms (times two) and even the Post Office! There are only so many identity theft monitoring services that one can use at a given time.

9. "Financial Advisor"

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time

Pros

Great training program. Great being able at keeping with meetings that are required and holding one accountable.

Cons

Support for a first year rep was not really a good one, too many fees before you'll start seeing income initially.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about the what the job really entails, if a rep states they need help then help them. If one isn't able to help them in that form then state that isn't available in stead of having them string along.

10. "Great Opportunity"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Northwestern Mutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy ; residual income ; unrivaled education, training, and development. Educational support and financial support. Pension Plan & bonuses.

Cons

Not for the weak minded or faint of heart.

Showing 1,737 of 3,657 reviews