Northwestern Mutual Reviews | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Reviews

1. "Tough but rewarding"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fairport, NY

Pros

The sky is the limit for how much you want to make. Commissions are above normal compared to the industry. Benefits are good, freedom to make your own schedule. Providing people security on their assets and their future is always rewarding. Provide good training and they also pay for all of your certifications which a lot of companies do not.

Cons

It is very hard to start out especially right out of college. Work long hours if you are trying to build your business the right way. They give you a stipend check, but it might be a little while before you actually start making any money.

Advice to Management

Start giving salary for the first year or two and the switch to comission

"great company"

Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Skokie, IL
    Current Employee - Wealth Management Advisor in Skokie, IL

Pros

NML is a very well run company. If you cant succed here most likely something is wrong with your work ethic.

I have been here 21 years and for the most part the folks who have really worked hard have been very succesful.

Cons

100 commission to get started. you have to be smart with your money. If you have a good quarter anytime in your first five years and you start spending on useless things assuming you will always have quarters like your largest one you will get yuor self in trouble quickly.

compliance is a nightmare but in the long run well worth it when the alternatives are considered.

Advice to Management

reign in the control of managing partners

3. "Great opportunities; Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

Pros

Integrity; Responsibility; Fairness; Excellence; Trust

Cons

Directly employed by Agent: Small company.

Advice to Management

Continue to demand the excellence and integrity of the 151 years experience in Financial Services.

"Challenging but great experience for the right person."

Former Employee - Financial Representative in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in McLean, VA

Pros

Great training, experience, and education in areas of sales for Insurance and financial services. Advancement within the organization is non-biased and based on performance results.
    If successful early in your career, one builds a strong foundation which can ensure a successful career. NMFN provides you with all the tools and knowledge to succeed, but it is up to the individual to perform. Great People

Cons

Very Challenging building a practice without a natural market, and compensation is commissioned based. I would recommend having adequate savings prior to building a practice and have a clear understanding of the challenges you are getting into. Expect to put in a great deal of sweat and equity into your early activity before having results. High turnover but those that are successful within their first couple of years do very well for themselves.

Advice to Management

Senior Management is very effective at setting expectations, managing performance, and supporting new Financial Representatives. They are great motivators and have a great deal of experience; It was productive working with them.

6. "Great company to work for 1st class training that will serve you well long after you leave."

Current Employee - Financial Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Excellent Training and compensation compared to competitors.

Cons

Completely commission based compensation. The Company only truly incentivises insurance. If you are more investment oriented you may not like it.

Advice to Management

A small salary for new reps would help many people with the transition to comission based compensation.

7. "A great place to work."

Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Systems Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

It's a conservative company that makes sound decisions. It may take them a while, but you won't find any silly ideas getting approved.

I believe in the company's ideals and purpose. I am proud of our company and our reputation, and I work to continue that legacy.

Cons

The bureaucracy can be annoying. Within the Information Systems department is seems that managers were promoted above their level of competence. They needed a promotion to something, so bang! Manager. That has hurt the department as a whole.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, and we believe in this company and your strategy.

8. "Come join our Northwestern Mutual family!"

Current Employee - Associate Financial Representative (SET Team) in Clayton, MO
    Current Employee - Associate Financial Representative (SET Team) in Clayton, MO

Pros

I like working for Northwestern Mutual because they are the number one insurance company in the country. They take pride in their clients, ethics, and employees. Every Managing Director and Managing Partner strives so hard to make Northwestern a growing and exciting company. I enjoy the clients because you are there to help them achieve their financial goals and welcome them to the Northwestern Mutual family. Working here is really like working with your family. We all are always willing to help everyone in the office with whatever they need. The training program for our interns in a great program to be in also. Our Managing Director takes pride in those programs.

Cons

The office staff and assistants need a little more training on certain programs in the general agencies.

Advice to Management

I would tell our management team that the office staff needs more training on certain programs. We need to be able to support all of our Financial Representatives completely without too many problems.

"Ok place to work, not a dream job"

Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Northwestern Mutual has several things going for it. Job security is paramount in the current economic condition. I think most would feel that your job is secure. There's also the free lunch which is nice. Also, good health coverage compared to other past positions.

Cons

Like any big company, NM suffers from bureaucracy. Any decision made has to go through umpteen different levels of management. Positions in Information Systems receive lower pay compared to similar positions in other companies. Promotions at the company seem to be a mostly ceremonial event. You receive a bump in pay but the same role and responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Overall, NM is doing a superb job in the current economic condition maintaining a stable and strong company.

10. "Good company, strong values."

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Princeton, NJ

Pros

The flexibility and posibility of success

Cons

Compensation, training, no salary, and no help with leads.

Advice to Management

To be more positive, use less negative reinforcement.

11. "Your true career begins here..."

Current Employee - Director of Career Development in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Director of Career Development in Davenport, IA

Pros

The vision and passion that everyone has in them, added with the great respect management has for all who work within the team. It is a team environment, but with the autonomy of becoming whatever level of greatness you would like to be. There is no ceiling, but there is an incredible foundation! Seeing the impact that each of the representatives has with their clients, knowing that each was trained with vision that it is about the quality of the relationships with our clients, not the quantity. Opportunity is a word I hear a lot with the reps, and each has thier own definition of what it means to them, and Northwestern Mutual has provided them with the path to seize it.

Cons

You must have your own drive - that is something that can not be taught. It is effort+perisistency+passion = rewards

Advice to Management

Don't ever lose the vision that has gotten us this far!!!