Northwood Health Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "BSA"

Current Employee - BSA I in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - BSA I in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at Northwood Health Systems part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The clients are the best in my occupation. Making a difference in their lives gives me joy and makes them smile.

Cons

Sometimes the coworkers aren't as compassionate anymore because they seem to be burnt out. I think it's ongoing training and encouragement from your job place that will make a difference.

2. "House Monitor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moundsville, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moundsville, WV

I worked at Northwood Health Systems part-time

Pros

Got to meet a lot of good clients

Cons

Having to work around some employees that weren't very nice of a person

Advice to Management

really don't have any advise they seem to be doing a great job and the people I've met were wonderful individuals

3. "Drama Drama Drama"

Former Employee - Crisis Unit Technician in New Martinsville, WV
    Former Employee - Crisis Unit Technician in New Martinsville, WV

I worked at Northwood Health Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    predictable hours
    some of the patients are okay to work with

Cons

Inconsistent management practices
    Policies seem to change on a day to day basis
    One day doing something is a great idea, the next you are getting literally yelled at for it
    The company does not care about its' employees
    Upper management has an "open door" policy, if you tell certain people in upper management about problems in your facility they just tell your supervisor that you told them, they do not attempt to fix the problem.

Advice to Management

Try and be more consistent. Some days you are great, and other days you act very childish. Also, try to treat your employees with respect. We are human beings, not puppets or minions there to do your bidding.

5. "Much potential, limited follow-through"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Wheeling, WV
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Wheeling, WV

I worked at Northwood Health Systems as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Most staff generally eager to help, serves various disadvantaged populations, clinical staff and some portions of clinical leadership interested in training and providing support.

Cons

Leadership did not communicate well with staff, or with each other for that matter. Limited support for plans and staff training. Lots of mandated work without overtime considerations. Vision not consistent with level of investment.

Advice to Management

Improve communication and lessen some restrictions and you may be able to attract a wider, more diversified workforce.

6. "CSU Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Martinsville, WV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Martinsville, WV

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, casual work environment, awesome health benefits, easy to pick up extra work hours as well as learning quite a bit about services provided, community resources and serving others.

Cons

Lower end of the pay scale with very minimal increases over 4 years (outside of mandated increases), no incentive to further education, limited advancement opportunities without a degree.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees through more than just healthcare benefits (perhaps in a tuition assistance program) because they are the life of the company.

7. "Great to grow personally, bad to make a career"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Wheeling, WV

I worked at Northwood Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Clients
    -Co-workers
    -Ton to learn about community resources
    -Feel good about the lives you save/help
    -Got to practice clinical skills with a hard population of clients

Cons

-Management is money crazed
    -Company seems reluctant to grow new ideas and preys on clients to sustain itself.
    -If you are young, you will be overworked (60-70 hr/ week)
    -Awful private benefits- HR will try to get you on Medicaid because your pay is so low
    -Your sick days/ personal days are the same and you get less than other companies.
    -You will always see ineffective treatment practices (SA and MH groups together, personality disorders placed with SA, Anxiety, and depression) Though some of these populations see little change, it is even less with "money-saving", unethical treatment practices (unethical because practices do not follow empirical, recent research in tx)
    -Company kisses the ground of the old CEO who changed the mentality of it from a community-assistance organization to a money making machine; though he has since resigned after a scandal was brought to light, the company still harbors people with the same mentality in higher-up positions.

Advice to Management

Become proactive in the latest research, get grants, and stop sucking tax-payer money from a truly vulnerable population with outdated, ineffective treatment methods.There is potential from this organization to create a better community, treatment modality; however upper management has lost the drive to contribute productively to the growth of the company and betterment of the community.

8. "While I enjoyed many of my co-workers, management was more concerned with making money than helping others."

Former Employee - Case Manager in Wheeling, WV

I worked at Northwood Health Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of those working here are great people, and genuinely want to help the community and those suffering most.

Cons

Upper management are very much only concerned with bringing money into the coffers. I often had to argue about policies to keep people who were suicidal from being allowed to go outside to smoke beside the road even though earlier that day they had tried to commit suicide by throwing themselves in front of a moving car. I have also seen them discharge suicidal clients with no insurance early so they could get a drug abuser with Medicaid onto the crisis unit.

Advice to Management

A community mental health center is there to help the community, not making those in charge wealthy. It is ludicrous that the CEO makes over $400, 000 a year while case managers and others that are college educated and working the front lines make less than $9.00 an hour.

9. "UNFAIR"

I worked at Northwood Health Systems full-time

Pros

The customers!!!!! I enjoyed helping them receive the durable medical equipment and supplies they needed to make their lives more comfortable.

Cons

Immediate management. I was terminated via telephone due to high risk pregnancy which allowed up to 30hrs wkly per Drs orders. Therefore I was told that " I was hired in Full time so they no longer needed me!" It wasn't my fault I fell @ 7mos pregnant & nearly lost my son. It was heartbreaking -I truly enjoyed working there; assisting the customers & having fun speaking with them. VERY SAD!!

10. "NORTHWOOD HEALTH SYSTEMS"

I have been working at Northwood Health Systems full-time

Pros

Get to help people overcome problem in their life and the health insurance is top notch. Advancement possibilitys do exist. They DO have a laxed call l off policy. Don't fire people too much. You really have to commit a serious policy violation to get fired.

Cons

Pay is the lowest in the business.

Advice to Management

To increase pay to your employees would not hurt. Can you honestly say that you can make a 'living wage' at your company. I hear that the CEO's make great money and bonuses. It would be nice to offer that to the base employees.