Northwoods Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Patrick Bieser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Business Development"

I have been working at Northwoods Software full-time

Pros

True colleague support and collaboration. Relaxed environment. Fair management. Brilliant people. Pet friendly. Work from home option. Lifestyle company, not a high stress growth machine. Highly client focused.

Cons

The pros some see as the cons in that there is no path to solid double digit percentage growth because of the chill lifestyle.

Advice to Management

Stay the course for ghe most part, but more growth chances.

"Account Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shorewood, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shorewood, WI

I worked at Northwoods Software full-time

Pros

Northwoods has a uniquely great culture. The ownership manages to make it a very free environment where evryone is open to.speak their opinions, which you'll know is a very difficult thing to do if you've ever been a manger. A thing that is striking to me is that nobody there, at least in my experience, talks behind other people's backs. People are so repectful of one another's abilities to take others ideas, and respectful of each other in general, there is no reason for that undercurrent of negativity to gain strength. Every person there is extremely intelligent, does their work in good humor, and is a joy to work with.

Cons

Freedom has its price. Lack of standard processes makes it take a long time to figure out what you are doing and how you fit in. But it's a trade-off - if they introduce too.much standardized process then things will become more structured and rigid. So it makes being a new employee difficult but has its perks as well.

Advice to Management

Dedicate more resources to your onboarding process for new employees

3. "Be honest with your employees."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Northwoods Software as an intern

Pros

I learned a lot interning at Northwoods, and I felt that I had a lot of room to offer up my own development ideas and creative direction, and was either given a chance to try my idea or told exactly why my idea probably wouldn't work, which was extremely helpful. Lots of opportunities to get advice and help from senior developers, so it was a great learning experience.

The atmosphere is very relaxed, which, depending on what kind of person you are, might work or might not. The company is made up of roughly 30 people, so it's a small environment, and employees get their own private cubicles. It's a dog-friendly office, with a t-shirt and jeans dress code.

Cons

I often felt like management was talking behind my back instead of directly to me about my future in the company. I learned a lot about where I was going through a co-worker who seemed buddy-buddy with our boss, instead of directly from my boss, which ended up fueling my decision to leave sooner than expected.

Certain management and developers were a bit harsh with interns who are just learning the ropes of being in a professional job setting, especially given the difference in what you learn at college as an IT/Developer, as opposed to how web development offices are actually run.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and interns, don't talk about their futures to co-workers--talk directly to them. Learning about my future in the company was a lot tougher to swallow coming from my co-worker, than it ever would have been hearing it directly from my boss, and much less professional as well.

4. "Not very stable"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shorewood, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shorewood, WI

I have been working at Northwoods Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, hard workers, interesting work, ability to work from home. Free fruit in the break room.

Cons

Leaders seem like they don't have much of a handle on where the company is going. They keep saying they will build us up to 50 or more people, but we can't seem to get bigger than 30. The company always seems like we're in financial trouble.

Advice to Management

Get the money issues fixed so you can grow. Do projects with wordpress and other free cms's because titan is to expensive.

5. "Nice small company"

Pros

lots of freedom and autonomy... if you take it.

Cons

can be all over the map with company direction and goals.

6. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI

I worked at Northwoods Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to learn a lot at Northwoods, worked with some very talented folks. You get to work in the latest technologies and it is the best place to have your first job ever.

There are technical meetings where managers, developers get to discuss ideas and improve coding. There is scope to grow in your role if you are good. I was promoted and have seen several employees go to senior positions.

The work-life balance is excellent. You can bring your pets (friendly ones) and kids along to office. The atmosphere is very relaxed and it sometimes helps in being more efficient in your work. You typically get your own office room and at least one desktop machine.

There is scope to interact with clients at a personal level and get feedback on your work. There is no office politics that I knew of. You are free to discuss ideas you have. They have great ethics and want the best for their clients. They are not money-minded like some of their competitors and provide a great content management system with a lot of powerful features.

Cons

Sometimes the atmosphere can get too relaxed, but this actually helps improve work efficiency in the long run.

Advice to Management

Keep in mind practicality while providing technical estimates to clients. Don't underestimate the cost of a new creative idea, you might get less than what you bargain for. Keep up the open communication and positive attitude and keep improving your CMS skills.

"Musical Chairs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Great work environment -- casual, fun. Flexible hours. Some very cool people.

Cons

As Northwoods has ridden the rollercoaster of being a tech company in a rocky economy, it has created a never ending game of musical chairs for its staff. I'm not familiar with any other company of its size who has thrown so many people overboard trying (unsuccessfully) to balance its books. And they've thrown a lot of very good people overboard while keeping some dead wood because of old friendships among management.

Advice to Management

Every time you terminate someone, you hurt people. You need to figure out a way to stabilize things.

8. "One that promotes family first, a casual environment, ethical business dealings, and team work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brown Deer, WI

Pros

Freedom to come and go as long as you are deicated to the team and projects respondsibly.
    Private offices for all staff with indivdual bathrooms/showers.
    Brilliant co-workers at all levels of engineering, design, sales, and project management

Cons

Being a company of 35 employees it is diffucult to move up the ranks. IF you aspire to be a director or some other top management it probably will not happen here, that is until the soon to be expansion of growth occurs

9. "Northwoods Software Review"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

There is truly a work/life balance in the company. They are very careful to maintain that. The ability to work on diverse projects is also a plus. I learned a lot while I was there.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a clear sense of direction. They have a good CMS product and could make a lot of it. However, the focus seems to drift and leadership is weak. Unprofessional behavior by employees is tolerated and even supported. Many of the talented folks have left the company because of this.

Advice to Management

Focus on your core strength, Titan, and take it national. Don't be afraid to reach beyond the Milwaukee area. Develop a sound direction and stick with it long enough to see it work.

10. "Technology Stepping Stone"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

If you are into complex technologies on the Web, you will learn a great deal working for this company. Their Enterprise Content Managment System has matured over the last 5 years

Cons

Senior Sales team is really bad at pricing/bidding out work. Development teams were expected to do the impossible on shoe-string budgets.

Senior Management needs to figure out how they are going to market their ECM. They don't have a clue.

Advice to Management

Listen to the folks that will be doing the work and stop with the outrageously low bids. Involve your development team in the requirements process. Give your project and technical leads more authority over their resources.