Not Your Average Joes Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stephen Silverstein

Pros
  • Good staff, good food, overall positive experience at not your average joes (in 7 reviews)

• Free food when a server or kitchen staff messed something up, doesn't penalize the server if a guest walks on the check (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours and holidays are usually required to work (in 4 reviews)

• Cutting procedure is just terrible, and so is side work (in 4 reviews)

1. "Host"

Current Employee - Host in Dartmouth, MA
    Current Employee - Host in Dartmouth, MA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to work with solid management team. The cooks are rock solid. Customers are loyal to the brand.

Cons

Shifts are short; so in and out when working a double.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work on the menu and promotions. Tear down the Baker's Books building for parking and enlarge the current building to make it more like the new format NYAJoes layout.

2. "Not Your Average Joe's"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes (Less than a year)

Pros

Very team oriented! Sense of unity

Cons

Compensation should reflect the hard work put in.

3. "I had a good 10 years!"

Former Employee - Store Bar Trainer - Bartender in Arlington, MA
    Former Employee - Store Bar Trainer - Bartender in Arlington, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes (More than 10 years)

Pros

I was a bartender/bar store trainer there for 10 years in the Arlington location. Overall it was a great experience.

Cons

There was alot of management turnover.
    Many employees had drug and alcohol issues and they spawned negativity and insanity.
    There specialty drink menu is not realistic in a busy environment. Typical of corporate to create drinks that would take more then there required 2 minute ticket time.

Advice to Management

Reach out to loyal employees and consider promoting them within your corporate organization.

"Server"

Current Employee - Server in Methuen, MA
    Current Employee - Server in Methuen, MA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is fairly easy to have shifts covered when you need to since they are typically overstaffed and only give servers three table sections. If you have a busy schedule and only want to work a few days a week then it is perfect.

Cons

Management favors servers who have worked at the restaurant for a long time and gives them all the hours/good sections and flexibility they want. They take advantage of new servers saying they will make a ton of money when in reality they will not.

Advice to Management

Management needs improvement.

6. "Decent enough place for the winter. Summer workers beware."

Current Employee - Server in Warwick, RI
    Current Employee - Server in Warwick, RI

Pros

- Opportunity for LOTS of hours.
     - Place is very busy in the winter season.
     - Casual clientele, low-stress environment.
     - Good money for the winter season and weekends.

You're not held on too high of a standard so there is a lot of opportunity to learn the ropes here. The clientele is very casual so you can really bring your personality to your tables. Check averages have the potential to get very high during dinner as there is a nice wine and drink list, as well as well priced entrees, and a tasty dessert menu.

Cons

- Summer is horrid for business unless you work the patio every day.
     - Hours are terribly long (you either get over scheduled or under scheduled)
     - Breaks are considered a "luxury." May the gods help you to ever get one.
     - Eating is also a luxury since you'll get in trouble for it when your starving on a double with no break.
     - Cutting procedure is just terrible, and so is side work. You're here much longer than you should be making your hourly rate of pay go down significantly.
     - No pre-meals before shifts start.

I can only speak for servers when I write this but this place seems a-ok with letting their staff work 10+ hours on their feet during a double and not give them a break or food. That's absolutely atrocious and there's no excuse to say "well, it's just too busy" or "we need you." It's especially rude when people are starving and get called out for stealing soup or sitting down to eat bread they took from the bucket.

In addition to this management can be petty at times and although there are some wonderful, A+ managers, others have a tendency to take things personally when it's just business. There are also areas of management that are downright messy. You seem to get scheduled for all the days and times you've stated you're not available and the days you have off are the days you want to work. Cutting is ridiculous to the point that you will sit around for an hour without a table and get cut just as a two top gets seated in your section. I know this is a difficult problem for all restaurants to deal with but it's an extremely drastic and prominent one here.

Summer is just awful. Yes, that's obvious in the service industry but please, do me and everyone else whom have walked through these doors a server a favor and stay away during the summer. If you're one of the unlucky ones and get scheduled only day shifts you will literally walk out of a four hour shift every morning with *hopefully* $20 in your pocket. Barring that the money is very lucrative in the winter season and on weekend nights.

As a final take away, there are many things wrong with this place and honestly it really isn't worth your time if you can find something better. My opinion? Work here in the winter to get some experience and reap the benefits of good tips and quickly move on. You will soon get tired of being treated like a donkey and starving yourself all day.

On the plus side this is an awesome job to take if your trying to lose weight!

Advice to Management

Please take advice from your staff. I understand your hands are tied when it comes to certain issues but here's my onion:

#1 Most people don't want to be there. Please just cut them early and let others make money. There is no incentive to closing when "everyone" else closes with you.

#2 Please give people breaks. I wouldn't be surprised if you started getting calls and investigations from the department. There is no excuse.

#3 Stop being petty. People look up to you to be fair and honest. It's disheartening when you guys are gossiping just as much as the servers.

There is one amazing manager here and she knows who she is. For you, I have no problems.

"Managers play favorites"

Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Server in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Great atmosphere and great pay. Since most of the employees are millennials making friends and connecting is easy. Lunch hour provides a free meal, although since the restaurant's food was outside my diet, I didn't take advantage of it. Scheduling was pretty flexible at my location.

Cons

The managers clearly have favorites and tend to enforce policies inconsistently. This often creates tension as waiters who receive favorable treatment behave as though they're above everyone else and begin demanding accountability when they have no authority to do so. There is also a problem communicating important information which, unless you fall into the favorites category, is withheld from you unless you ask.

Advice to Management

Treat everyone the same and do not create artificial hierarchies. Follow the principles of the company by being honest and transparent with all employees.

8. "Great atmosphere"

Current Employee - Waitress in Ardmore, PA
    Current Employee - Waitress in Ardmore, PA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Dedicated management
    -Clear company wide values
    -Good training program

Cons

-Management picked favorites
    -Expectations for wait staff is always high, even when tips are very low-- can be discouraging at times.

Advice to Management

Maintain unbiased attitude towards employees, balance money making opportunities for all employees and not just favorites.

"Waitress"

Former Employee - Server in Methuen, MA
    Former Employee - Server in Methuen, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great food and great kitchen staff. After working at other restaurants I enjoyed the earlier closing time.

Cons

Hostesses did not keep track of rotation, they forced you to tip out the bar even if the bar didn't do any thing for you. After my two week notice was up they still kept putting me on the schedule. Way too heavily influenced by surveys. The fact that they would NOT allow you to wear appropriate footwear was ridiculous. At first I was excited to wear my brightly colored converse but after working a double and spending the day slipping around the kitchen it got old fast.

Advice to Management

Enough with the favoritism and if someone has questions it doesn't make them an unenthusiastic server it just means they want to get it right the first time.

10. "Growing restaurant , maybe too fast"

Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Woodbridge, VA
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager in Woodbridge, VA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual upscale dining great fruit. Often the scratch kitchen. Great people especially the owners which are still very involved. Privately owned yet still structure of the corporate feel

Cons

Growing extremely fast in the Virginia/Maryland market and I don't think they can keep up with the demand. Hiring people out of necessity rather than taking the time to get the right people also promoting managers into general manager roles that don't deserve it Due to necessity

Advice to Management

Hard work does get rewarded but be a large voice or else you won't get hurt

11. "Love the place ,love working around food is a great company to grow"

Current Employee - Chef in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Chef in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To become a sous chef and be big in every other way ..they help with school and every other things in life

Cons

There really no challenges is all about team work and speed ..making everything happen and Soren with costumer is the big challenge

Advice to Management

Great management and