Not Your Average Joes Reviews | Glassdoor

Stephen Silverstein

"Bad work environment"

Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Not Your Average Joes part-time

Pros

- Restaurant has good food, so easy to recommend tp customers -Training period for all new hires

Cons

- Management doesn't have it together... - miscommunication between management - Distrust between front of the house and back of the house - Waiters rude to hosts/hostesses

Not Your Average Joes2019-02-18
  2. "Potential to be better"

Current Employee - Server in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working with the company for a few months now and have created lasting bonds with the staff. The discount provided to employees is a great plus and the location is easy to access.

Cons

The restaurant in Silver Spring could operate better. Management lacks communication both with employees and within themselves. Lack of communication creates many problems and disagreements. Often times, some employees are seen doing more work to ensure a positive working environment while others stand around on their phones or wasting time. This is a quick fix but nothing has been done about it. When concerns are brought...

Advice to Management

I believe the Silver Spring location has potential to provide long lasting employees and lessen the turnover rate if management follows through with their promises, if communication increases, and if with less leniency and favoritism towards employees.

Not Your Average Joes2019-02-05
  3. "Decent serving job"

Former Employee - Server

I worked at Not Your Average Joes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent hours not open too late

Cons

Lots of drama amongst staff and management

Not Your Average Joes2019-02-04

"Read this review before applying. Seriously."

Former Employee - Cook in Needham, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good food. Supportive co-workers. Started off not knowing anything about working in a kitchen but the BOH management pulled me up and supported me for years and I became one of the best. Some of the chefs I worked with taught me some great life lessons that I'll never forget.

Cons

I worked at Joe's for 5 years. The menu was too large for our tiny kitchen. Old equipment was constantly causing us problems. Every night there was a new (mostly metaphorical) fire to put out and we received no support from corporate. Management was a revolving door creating major instability in the work culture, people started getting lazy and work quality dropped. A very inappropriate and PDA relationship between...

Advice to Management

Advice to corporate: The folks with their boots on the ground are human, not robots. They require that complaints be taken seriously and dealt with. If you ignore them long enough people will leave and it can cost you stability. Couple that with aging infrastructure and it's a recipe for disaster.

Not Your Average Joes2019-01-16
  5. "Gotta work hard"

I worked at Not Your Average Joes full-time

Pros

People there care, nice bunch of people, helps you out. Trains you fast. Easy work

Cons

Fast paced work, little room for being idle, loud, limited move to room while at some machines, always moving.

Advice to Management

Could improve break times, safety implementation.

Not Your Average Joes2018-12-14
  6. "Server"

I worked at Not Your Average Joes part-time

Pros

Good coworkers and good food

Cons

Bad management because they are overworked

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees needs

Not Your Average Joes2018-12-06
  7. "Just...average"

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Not Your Average Joes part-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a typical restaurant server job, there isn't really anything special about it You do not need a lot of server experience to get hired and the training process is easy

Cons

Managers do not have a lot of experience and are inconsistent with their managing style

Advice to Management

Better training for managers so that rules are consistent

Not Your Average Joes2018-11-09
  8. "General Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The food quality is awesome and far better than fine dining

Cons

Servers rule the place. Corporate wont allow you to discipline. Corporate allows them to be disrespectful with no consequences

Advice to Management

If you take the job, you will be doing every staff’s job and be underpaid

Not Your Average Joes2018-10-16
  9. "Management Issues"

Former Employee - Server in Methuen, MA

I worked at Not Your Average Joes part-time for less than a year

Pros

The team was (for the most part) energetic and worked together. The money staggered, some days (holidays included) I'd walk out with great money, others I'd leave a double with only a little to dry my tears.

Cons

There was major management turnover. Depending on who was there for that month, things could be hectic. Kitchen staff and management could be really disrespectful to servers when the fault came from a kitchen error. Tip sharing didn't consider bad service or unused help. I would bus my own tables and order nothing from the bar, but still would have to carve large percentages of what I made out to bartenders (who make...

Advice to Management

Listen more to your servers. The people I worked with were more than willing to own up to their mistakes. Not taking their sides during a blow out over a improperly prepared order really kills trust for you. Also, try to find more management with longevity in their futures.

Not Your Average Joes2018-07-03
  10. "Hostess"

I worked at Not Your Average Joes

Pros

Good customers and atmosphere

Cons

High turn over rate, other workers weren’t friendly. Had to over dress for the job/was sent home for my outfit for not being business enough

Not Your Average Joes2018-06-09