KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

214 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Incredible opportunity to experience fast company and personal growth

Nov 1, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Notion is growing extremely fast as a business and a team. That means there are constantly opportunities to work on and lead impactful projects. As someone still early in my career, it's been an amazing place to learn and level up my skills much faster than I would have at other companies. - You'll get to work with some of the most capable AND empathetic people. It's pretty rare to find a team that is thoughtful, trustworthy, and fun to be around. - Customers genuinely love the product and it's changed so many people's lives. Growth is product and community led, so you don't have to worry that you're working for a product that isn't going to "make it." We haven't even cracked the surface of the market segment we could be capturing.

Cons

On the flip side, extreme growth means extreme change -- and with that comes friction. You need to be ok with priorities readjusting every quarter, and you need to be willing to take on or pass off projects without your ego getting in the way. Everyone is still very heads down because our resourcing is still catching up with the ambitious goals we set. You'll need to both set strategy and do a lot of tactical work until the team is more built out. If you're able to keep these things in mind, you'll never be bored, you'll find amazing mentors and co-workers that you'll want work with for the rest of your career, you'll learn a ton, and you'll make a huge impact.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Career development at breakneck speed

Sep 30, 2021 - Product Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities for promotions, moving laterally to other internal teams, and learning new skills. You can bat above your weight here and take on impactful projects even if you don't quite have the experience yet. The people are warm, smart & weird (in a good way).

Cons

We've been the smallest company by headcount in the Forbes Cloud 100 for two years in a row! It's a really cool achievement, but an example of how challenging this job can be. The size of the business has always outpaced the headcount - most companies have double the number of employees or more at this point of their growth. The velocity of growth definitely makes this job challenging.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Truly a family working on something special

Sep 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Everyone is wearing their company hat - Mission driven in that Notion allows people to create tools for themselves - highly collaborative - warm environment

Cons

I love working in the office a couple of days a week - that is part of getting to know people and teaming at work for us at Notion. Notion is not for those who want to be fully remote.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Amazing company to work for

Sep 21, 2021 - Head Of Customer Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Notion is an inclusive, employee first company. This is a great place to work for and I have been so happy here. I love the focus on customers as the foundation, as well as our employees. Our benefits are world class. We have amazing balance between work and home while still executing at the highest level.

Cons

Notion is a startup and things move really quickly! This can be tough at times but also really refreshing.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

People want to do the right thing

Sep 30, 2021 - Engineering Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

* No red tape -> people aim to do the right thing for users and colleagues * Moving fast -> course correct and admit when things could be better without dwelling

Cons

* Small team with huge scope -> at times might feel like there's a world of things we can build, may feel overwhelming

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

When small team meets amazing business opportunity

Aug 27, 2021 - Engineering Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Awesome product and incredible community, - Business way beyond what you'd expect from a smaller startup - People are frank, open, and easy to work with - Challenging technical and product problems

Cons

- Team size still catching up to the size of the business opportunity - Still figuring out how to balance product polish with bigger bets - Standard growth challenges (missing processes, code needs better interface boundaries, etc.)

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

You'll grow faster than you can imagine

Feb 4, 2021 - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

We're on an honest to goodness rocket ship here, and you feel it every day. It shows up in the rigor and urgency of people's work. It shows up in the feedback from our growing customer base. And it shows up in the escalating number of challenges we need to solve as a team to keep growing at this pace. It's incredibly exciting. My job changes every 3 month and I have learned to do so many things I couldn't have pictured myself doing just half a year ago. If you're looking for steep career growth in an environment that manages to be both supportive and strenuous, then this is probably a good place for you. A quick word on the people, too. Everyone here cares a great deal about the product, but also each other. So much incredible kindness and consideration. And I truly believe this emanates from our CEO, who is one of the most observant and thoughtful people I've ever met. He's surrounded himself with a bunch of high character, talented humans. It makes such a difference.

Cons

You definitely have to put your game face on. We're here to win. But that's not really a con if it's what you're looking for.

Notion Labs Response

Head of Technical Recruiting

We are happy to have you on the team and keep helping you grow!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing team and excited about the future growth of the company

Jan 25, 2021 - People Team Member in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- You get the benefits of working for a smaller/ early-stage startup (post-seed round raised in April 2020) and the stability of working for a profitable company. It feels good to have job security in these uncertain times. - The people at Notion are pretty amazing as humans, AND incredible at what they do, the talent here is very impressive. - There is still a lot of room for operational growth and so there are a lot of interesting problems to solve.

Cons

I wouldn't say a con, but one area that we can improve is our organizational design as we scale. There are some departments that I would expect us to have at least one person in the role (like Product Management or IT) but we don't yet. Those will change as we scale, but sometimes it feels like we don't have all the resources we could have at this stage. This does create room for people to wear multiple hats which is nice for now.

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging + rewarding work, with a great product and an amazing community

May 6, 2021 - Product Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

• Agency - even as a junior IC, there is a level of trust and opportunity given that allows me to jump right in to projects and tasks. Giving feedback more than often leads into direct participation, which is a welcome change from the bureaucracy that I’ve experienced in previous roles. • Product & strategy - I was a Notion user before I was a Notion employee, and I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t wholeheartedly support this tool’s ability to empower individuals and teams to do their best work - both personal and professional. Whether it’s through making Notion free for unlimited use, offering nonprofits and startups discounted plans, or through outreach and collaborations with under-resourced groups, our product strategy has always put users first. • User community - Notion has possibly the most passionate and collaborative community which makes user-facing roles a complete joy. The excitement that users bring is an extremely powerful asset that our team does not take for granted at all. • Peers & network - rarely at a Silicon Valley startup do you consistently meet people who are multifaceted and driven by not only business/tech metrics, but also an appreciation for arts/culture and personal connections. So many Notinos are people that I consider not just coworkers at a shared company, but friends outside of the context of our jobs. • Benefits - gorgeous office, equipment, WFH and lunch stipends, top tier healthcare/parental support, commuter/transportation funds, awesome denim/corduroy jackets

Cons

• Lack of structure and mobility - this is a work in progress, but we have the same problems that many startups face: many employees have extremely cross-functional roles and are single points of failure, which can lead to both 1) inadequate resourcing and 2) an inability to accurately map out career growth • Internal comms between teams - we’re in a stage of hyper growth, which, when combined with remote work due to COVID-19, has led to gaps in communication between sub teams.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Mission-driven company, intelligent team, tons of opportunities for growth

Feb 1, 2021 - People Team in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Something that stands out to me about Notion is that each and every employee is made to feel included and necessary in achieving our ambitious goals/mission. This translates to a collective respect across departments. - Notion is full of bright and talented people with diverse interests that push me to be my best. There is a real value for celebrating folks' whole selves. - Notion has a collaborative culture and embraces the idea of "no dumb questions." - Passionate community of users

Cons

- If you're someone who needs structure and process, Notion probably wouldn't be a good fit (right now). - It's something we're working on, but at this point there's not a lot of opportunities for cross team collaboration. Everyone is very friendly and open to connecting, but while working remotely, I've had to take initiative and push myself to meet people through scheduled coffee chats.

7 people found this review helpful