Notre Dame de Namur Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dr. Judith Greig

"Spiritual, committed, fulfilling, I loved working here and blessed to have been around such wonderful people."

Former Employee - Grounds Manager in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Grounds Manager in Belmont, CA

I worked at Notre Dame de Namur full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, lots of positive reinforcement, and surrounded by people who appreciate higher education, and nature.

Cons

With all educational institutions, is lack of funds, you have to work here for the passion of what it is your seeking.

Advice to Management

I know you all are committed to do the best with what is available. I will remember you all forever especially the Sisters of Notre Dame.

"Professional, Intimate, Direct Educational Opportunities"

Former Employee - Generalist Tutor in Belmont, CA
    Former Employee - Generalist Tutor in Belmont, CA

I worked at Notre Dame de Namur (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers and supervisors are always friendly, and versatile in their knowledge base. Students have very reliable, and prompt one on one appointments with staff. If you like working in a university that's quick to travel between campus buildings, and with class sizes comparable to community college size classrooms and offices as opposed to a large auditorium then you would enjoy working here.

Cons

The university is on a hill. It only takes about 5 - 7 minutes to walk up the hill from street level, but disabled students and/or staff using wheelchairs that are manual as opposed to motorized might have a bit of a challenge getting up the driveway on the hill. So, they may need to make arrangements with the public safety office or an agency like Ready Wheels to take them up the hill.

"Good People"

Current Employee - Admissions
    Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment! I adore some of the people I work with and the atmosphere is kept very professional.

Cons

The pay could be better but it's not bad either.

"Professor"

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Students are great and a blast to work with them in all of the classes. They want the best education and they should get it.

Cons

Management not so good and I don't think they really care about the teaching staff. many abuses in scheduling too many students per class.

Advice to Management

Be more concern about instructors

6. "Natural sciences"

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment , the pay could be better but people working are really cheerful.

Cons

Pay could be a lot better

7. "Great University"

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time

Pros

The workplace environment is one of the best that I've ever encountered in my work history. At one point I became extremely ill and not only were they very willing to help accommodate my schedule but also remained supportive throughout the experience.

Cons

Pay is low but holidays and holiday pay is generous. Good health insurance. Tuition remission is a huge plus. Had a workplace harassment issue that went on for nearly a year until action was finally taken by higher management.

Advice to Management

Consider paying staff more equally.

"Under appreciated employees"

Current Employee - Admissions in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions in Belmont, CA

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great faculty, sincere students who stuck because most courses wont transfer out

Cons

management is ungrateful, sloppy dress code, unprofessional HR

Advice to Management

need more driven employees

"A small school with a wonderful mission, but disorganized management"

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time

Pros

A focus on teaching, passion for community service and engagement, the ability to work closely with students, a beautiful campus, generally very nice people to work with.

Innovative approach to program development (NDNU will have the first PhD program in Art Therapy in the country!)

A mission to ensure educational access to all students (NDNU was the the first women's college in California and the first in the state authorized to grant the baccalaureate degree to women!)

There is good support for professional development (access to materials and resources, conference attendance) - this may vary by department and employee role.

Cons

For candidates: we do not advertise salary ranges like many other schools, we do not offer relocation, we generally do not provide travel/housing for in-person interviews.

Benefits: insurance for partners/spouses/dependents is expensive (very little to no subsidy from employer); a pay-as-you-go philosophy (meaning there are no cost-of-living increases, or "bonuses" in the traditional sense. If we do well, financially, in any given year, there could be salary increases or retirement contributions the following year. There's nothing wrong with this philosophy, but it may be different than other employers.

There is an inadequate focus on performance evaluation and so some employees are never taught how to do their jobs better.

Lack of good communication between decision-makers and everyone else.

Human Resources department is inconsistent and has primary concern for the university, not the employees.

There are a good number of employees who have been here a long time and/or are disgruntled, which sometimes makes the working environment negative.

As a small school, many of our offices are understaffed, leading to people feeling under-appreciated and over-worked.

"Great people to work with"

Pros

The people are great to work with.

Cons

Some departments are located away from the University, and can make it difficult at times.

"About more than money"

I have been working at Notre Dame de Namur full-time

Pros

The mission is about more than money and if that's your goal, then you're in the right place. You have to want to help students and believe that life is about more than making a buck.

Cons

But if you want to keep up with the standard of living surrounding campus, then you're not in the right place at all as not only is the pay lower than other similar universities, it's significantly less than the area in general.