NovaBay Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NovaBay Chairman, President, and CEO Ron Najafi
Ron Najafi

1. "Address customer care inquiries, support outside sales rep team and inform doctors regarding the benefits of Avenova."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at NovaBay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and professional work environment. Novabay is a small pharma company with a bright future led by CEO Ron Najafi, who is an amazingly approachable person.

Cons

Snacks are plentiful and I am getting fat :)

"Medical Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Sales Representative in Emeryville, CA

I worked at NovaBay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous bonus at plan. Very little micromanaging. Some talented sales reps with a lot of experience and success in the eye care market.

Cons

Check out their stock: NBY. Upper management has a very low level of integrity. Employee morale was low since everyone felt they had little job security. Quick to hire new employees who exceeded expectations only to let them go due to no fault of their own.

Advice to Management

Be more trustworthy by following up on your promises to employees. Provide reps with better sales materials and a more adequate budget for conventions, meetings, and dinner programs.

"Product Development"

Current Employee - Formulation Scientist in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Formulation Scientist in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at NovaBay (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have had the great privilege of working for Ron Najafi at NovaBay for a little over 6 years. Ron is a brilliant, ambitious, and innovative CEO with lots of great ideas. Ron is constantly thinking of new projects and products. He and his management team have demonstrated strong leadership when it comes to the planning and execution of activities to ensure that each project is completed on time. What I like about Ron is his ability to find elegant and workable solutions to difficult issues. As a CEO, he is very easy to approach and talk to. He has an open door policy and is available 24/7 by email or phone. The culture of this company is great and everyone I have worked with has been amazing and friendly. Novabay is a great company to work for with a promising future full of new, up and coming products.

Cons

Small company with great culture

Advice to Management

Breakthrough eye products with great revenue. Continue to grow exponentially while staying innovative

5. "A small company with a lot of positive momentum"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Breakthrough products for the eye care market with great revenue potential. I have gotten invaluable experience by having major responsibilities within a few short years.

Cons

I prefer working for a small company. Some people may see this as a negative.

Advice to Management

Continue to create innovative products for the eye care market and help people manage their hard to treat eye conditions.

"Unethical, money spent irresponsibly, lies to staff, EC and board members. Corrupt CEO & CFO"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Emeryville, CA

I worked at NovaBay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In general, the staff is pleasure to work with.

Cons

Pay: Extremely Below Current Market Value

Ethics: Ron Najafi, CEO, is known to host dozens of "business dinners" dinners multiple times a month. All these business dinners just happen to be located in the small city where Ron resides. Inappropriate behavior considering the NovaBay's current business state - or lack thereof.

Forcing users to take time out of their day to attend a ceremony Persian New Year is not only offensive, but insulting. If the CEO wants to celebrate Persian New Year, the reset of the staff should be allowed to celebrate their version of new year. We tried setting up a program that would allow us to be more diverse, but the CEO found it to be a "productivity waster." How is attending Persian New Year acceptable, yet attending celebrations from other nationalities a productivity waster.

While not easily offended, Ron tends to bring 'God" into meetings and not in a good way. He's made statements such as "If you can't figure it out, get God on the phone!" This happens during company meetings regularly.

CEO insists on buying supplies from his other company that is run by his wife when NovaBay can save at least 50% (actual number) buy purchasing supplies from another party. All this does is pad the CEO's pocket, twice. Since his wife "runs" the Cplabsafety, they are essentially being paid twice over. How is this not a SOX violation. How can this be legal? If not illegal, it's in a poor taste and ethics.

- Un-ethical conduct at corporate level: CEO & CFO full of lies to employees. CEO is all about taking care of himself, but puts up a façade that he cares about employees.

- CFO, Tom Paulson, is nothing more than a yes man that does his absolute best to ensure the CEO keeps him employed. The term "brown nose" is an understatement. The CFO loves to spend company funds on non-work related items. Jawbone bracelet that measures sleep patterns,

- Extremely poor example of a leader. Favoritism within the EC and board members.

- CEO micro manages every aspect of the company.

- Job Security - I was constantly threatened with termination if I did not bring the CEO a chocolate chip cookie every morning upon his arrival. Yes, a cookie.

- Terrible communication and poor execution of projects with current business partner, Galderma.

- Company Ownership needs to change hands. Current ownership is taking what use to be a good company and running it into the ground.

Advice to Management

Remove Ron Najafi and Tom Paulson as CEO and CFO immediately! They are nothing but a drain on the company's cash flow. Cash burn rate for such a small company is wildly outrageous..

My advice would be to get the CEO out of there!!!! The sooner or the better… If you can get the CEO to truly step aside, and cut the salary by just 50K on the top five Sr. Executives the company may survive for another year. Stop ripping off employees on so called “Bonus Stocks” that the employees never get to mature since work is so poor throughout the company. However with current leadership, and the amount of companies and government officials that dislike DSCI, I believe the doors will soon close.

"Forgetable"

Former Employee - Vice President Research in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President Research in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Salary, proximity to San Francisco

Cons

Poor science, insecure management (some, incompetent too)

8. "Thank You NovaBay"

I have been working at NovaBay full-time

Pros

THANK YOU! NovaBay is so employee focused! Truly great place to work.

It's been an amazing journey of last four years with NovaBay, where each day is new and challenging. It never gets boring. I am very thankful to be a part of the innovative company. It makes me proud to know what our products can do for the patients. I am truly happy to know about the impressive years NovaBay has had. The NovaBay team and management are like big family. A good mixture of people, motivated, and brilliant individuals. I strongly believe in the company's mission, vision and values. Our CEO Ron Najafi always bring positive, innovative, and creative ideas. I always look up Ron's strong will. His commitment and passion is inspiring. Ron is a true leader.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you the NovaBay management, colleagues and mentors for all the support you’ve shown and share me throughout these years. Go Go NBY!

Cons

Small company means more opportunities to learn additional skills and ability to work in different department with unique projects. Plus you get to learn directly from the CEO.

9. "Innovative company with a great potential for growth"

I have been working at NovaBay full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had a privilege of working at NovaBay for the last 9 years. The culture at NovaBay is friendly and comprised of multi-talented employees with unique blend of expertise. Over 15 years, NovaBay has grown from a small private pharmaceutical company into a public company with products on the market. There is a lot of potential to grow and develop within the company, talent and efforts are always recognized and rewarded. People are willing to help and you really feel part of a team! The success of the company is due in large part to the leadership of Founder and CEO Dr. Ron Najafi. Ron created a work environment that motivates everyone to achieve their goals. His ability to innovate and think outside the box is constantly applied to creating new products and growing sales of products on the market. He and his management team have taken the company through IPO and raised money through investment and partnerships to put products on the market. NovaBay is a great company with an exciting future!

Cons

The work is challenging with a need to balance multiple responsibilities. I see this as an opportunity to learn and grow while sometimes this can be stressful. Small pharmaceutical company is always a risky business until it becomes profitable. Compared to other small biotech and pharma companies, NovaBay is close to achieving this goal with products already on the market and sales growing rapidly.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow sales of existing products while also keeping focus on developing of next generation new innovative products for ophthalmology

"Great environment, great people"

Pros

I interned at Novabay for two months during the summer of 2015 and it was one of my best work experiences to date. The people who are part of the Novabay team are kind, inviting and inspire an environment in the office that is a healthy combination of a strongly shared worth ethic and a friendly community. As an intern I gained valuable experiences that fall inline with the potential career choices I intend to be involved in in the future. In having these experiences I had great superiors that taught me what I needed to know and subsequently gave me space to learn the in and outs of working for Novabay on my own. Overall: a positive experience and I'm proud to have been able to contribute to the hand full of Novabay products I was involved with.

Cons

Thank you to everyone there!

11. "Great place to work!"

Pros

NovaBay is an exciting, smart, and innovative company with a lot of potential for growth. I work with so many talented people on a daily basis, who really care about what they do and about the goals of the company. Ron, the CEO, is truly an inspiration. He is constantly thinking about ways to better the company and the workplace, and his positive attitude and creative vision are the backbone of NovaBay. His door is always open, and he encourages employees to communicate with him and express their ideas and suggestions. Working here has taught me so much and allowed me to grow both professionally and personally. Thank you Ron and the NovaBay team!

Cons

Thank you Ron and the NovaBay team!