NovaStor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Stefan Utzinger

"A great place to be a Team Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at NovaStor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I did investigation on Glassdoor before meeting the management team originally. Given the comments I saw, I was a bit concerned but I must say, I have found that the team is excellent and all really want to see Novastor succeed. A prior comment was related to decision making. I have seen a bit of that but it has certainly improved.

Cons

Novastor is in a very competitive marketplace with a number of competitors that seem to do a better job in the end-user realm. Marketing and end-user sales suffers from a product price that it too low. I would like to see the price of our offerings in the SMB area increase.

Advice to Management

Reign in the variations available to the product line(s) in order to focus on better product quality. We're compared to others frequently, we need to be number 1. WE CAN.

"Great If You're Boss's Favorite"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at NovaStor full-time

Pros

It's a job.
    You get a paycheck.
    You can pay your bills.
    You don't have to live on the streets.

Cons

Technology is behind the times.
    No clear strategy.
    Updates are ALWAYS late.
    Managing Director plays favorites.
    European ownership doesn't really care about US operations.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter. They won't listen anyway. I'm just happy to be gone.

3. "Solid Company to Learn From and Grow professionally"

Current Employee - Sales in Agoura Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at NovaStor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has a great open door policy with ownership and management, Ideas and projects are easy to get approved and are welcomed. Heath Benefits are great, with no cost for the employee and Spouse. Pay is good. leadership is always looking to help make teams and individuals successful.

Cons

Vacation time is not competitive within industry. Lack of resources (people or cash) can hinder forward progress. Current leadership structure has the CEO acting as managing director (sales and engineering) of the German office. This has fostered an unhealthy Us vs Them attitude, making intercompany communication a problem

Advice to Management

Find a way to have a unified team across the globe, working together not against each other with clear communication and vision. Competition is currently unhealthy with no central leadership driving the business forward it becomes less about winning and more about finger pointing.

5. "OK if you need a job."

Current Employee - Disturbution Sales in Agoura Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Disturbution Sales in Agoura Hills, CA

Pros

Free food on Fridays. Kind of a free lunch just don't leave for lunch after. No office work on weekends just be sure to answer emails. Nice coworkers while they last. OK for entry level work.

Cons

No work life balance for little pay. High turnover rate. Manager to employee ratio is top-heavy. Work on Christmas eve and New Years eve.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and product. Focus less on the bottom-line and more innovation and culture. Also hire a human resource person.

6. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at NovaStor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food on every Friday.

Cons

Engineering department Manager is non technical and he doesn't know what he needs. He doesn't know how to organize work and employees.

Advice to Management

Director of engineering head should have knowledge about technical issues, otherwise success rate will be rare.

7. "Great Work Environment with Uniquely Positive, Small Business Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

I have been working at NovaStor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has a voice at NovaStor and has the opportunity to present in front of the entire office in one of the weekly Friday morning breakfasts (on the company). It's an all-hands on deck company where everyone pitches in to get the job done. It is one of the most positive, encouraging work environments I have ever had the privilege of working in. Oh and they offer medical insurance for your entire family at no cost to the employees.

Cons

No 401K, but lucky for me I already had an IRA account set up so at least I'm still planning for my retirement.

Advice to Management

Don't ever get rid of Friday morning breakfasts. This is a unique trait of NovaStor and the presentations truly offer greater visibility and transparency for all employees.

"Time was not wasted, but resentment remains."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Agoura Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Agoura Hills, CA

I worked at NovaStor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will say that NovaStor helped me jump-start my career in technology so I have a lot of appreciation that I was given this opportunity. No other high-end technology company would hire someone so inexperienced.

Cons

Favoritism is a huge problem here, both in Germany and the US. The CEO sponsors young female marketing assistants and provides luxurious international business travel opportunities to them just because. NovaStor likes to recycle old employees who have been fired in the past and bring them back as managers with an outrageous salary. When you train a behavior like this, old habits come back and business suffers. I should also mention there is zero room for advancement within the company and people who have been there for a while are bitter and you can feel it. Commission reports aren't printed so you have no idea how they calculate what you make, I know because I was burned but too late now.

Advice to Management

To German management: Advice? Stop your favoritism and show all your hard working US employees some appreciation, more than a chocolate from time to time.

To US management: Hire a real HR person, be honest and appreciate what is in front of you. Don't look for greener grass when the greenest is right under your nose.

9. "Great Place to work for driven individuals"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Agoura Hills, CA

Pros

Good Pay
    Great benefits
    Casual Atmosphere
    Open door policy with company Owners
    Flexible company thats easy to do business with

Cons

sometimes one might feel lost without direction - that is because management trusts you to make the right decision for the company and it is up to you to ask for direction and guidence - open door policy with management / owners as this is a management owned company...

Advice to Management

keep up the good work...

"Easy money for people with no pride in their work."

Former Employee - Sales in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Simi Valley, CA

Pros

NovaStor has a relaxed atmosphere, for the most part.

Cons

There is ZERO chance for advancement at NovaStor. There is a huge amount of favoritism. Management lacks clear direction. Rather than making realistic projections, sales goals are constantly changing based on the sales force's (lack of) success and management whims.

Advice to Management

The B.O.D. in Europe is completely blind as to the incompetence of the leadership in the U.S.

11. "Opportunity"

I have been working at NovaStor full-time

Pros

Great team
    Entrepreneurial Spirit
    Freedom to be creative - Everyone is encouraged to share ideas
    Management has ownership (care)
    Friday brunch
    Modern work environment
    Tons of lunch options

Cons

German and US office - culture clash
    Depends on monthly performance (always pushing hard)
    Better marketing resources would help

Advice to Management

Keep on pushing, success is near.