Novabase Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Novabase Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Sep 19, 2019

3.9
Novabase CEO João Nuno Bento (no image)
João Nuno Bento
  1. "Nice door to the job world for an entry level."

Current Employee - Software Engineer, Backend in Lisbon

I have been working at Novabase full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent for an entry-level boy/girl; Excellent Work/Life Balance

Cons

Poor management; Lack of know-how and seniority

Advice to Management

Invest in people

Novabase2019-09-19
  2. "Good place to start the career"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon

I have been working at Novabase full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Focus on people and personal growth.

Cons

Some projects use deprecated technologies. There is lot of bureaucracy that should be minimized.

Novabase2018-08-17

"Worst working experience ever"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon

I worked at Novabase full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stable company Potentially interesting projects (if we are lucky with the project manager)

Cons

Senior Managers are a cancer in this company. During the 8 months I worked for Novabase I had the worst working experience of my life. The project managers receive a percentage of the project's profit, they are very incompetent and will make you work unlimited hours so they will get the most profit. I had one manager that created an Access database to manage the client's reported issues!!! And this Access file... was updated and sent by email back and forward between devs and the client - this is shocking and demonstrates the incompetence of these people!!!

Advice to Management

Advice to the CEO: fire all the senior managers

Novabase2017-11-17

"I was an intern. Very bad time management and project management."

Former Intern - Software Engineer in Lisbon

I worked at Novabase for less than a year

Pros

Size of the company. Different projects and different technologies. Young environment.

Cons

Very bad management. Very bad number of employees. They should hire more people. Instead you are making the jog of 3 guys at the same time.

Novabase2017-06-02

"Great company with great people."

Former Employee - Trainee Software Engineer in Lisbon

I worked at Novabase full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great people to work with, company benefits

Cons

At least my team was a bit disorganized, which made some tasks more difficult than they should have been

Novabase2017-05-13

"Low wages, little to not existing growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon

I have been working at Novabase full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment between teams. Safe company

Cons

Low wages, little to not existing growth

Advice to Management

Improve your employers career path, wages and growth expectations IF (and only IF) you want to keep them.

Novabase2017-01-05

"Only good for fresh out-of-college graduates"

Software Engineer in Lisbon

I worked at Novabase

Pros

Good environment, Average work/life balance even though most projects have very tight deadlines.

Cons

Poor management and awareness. Total lack of knowledge about the trends in the technology world.

Novabase2016-02-01

"Very nice place for first job!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Lisbon

I worked at Novabase full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The "Novabase Academy" program was an experience that everybody should take before starting working wherever the company. Excellent people and environment.

Cons

The career progression seems to stop after 3 years, other option is to wait there at least more 5/6 years for a new promotion and probably new salary revision. Not so good Work/Life balance, at least if you want to "be someone" in the company.

Advice to Management

Try that employers only work for 40 hours/week or at least no more than 45 hours/week and compensate them if that's the case. Happy worker produces more and better.

Novabase2015-09-27

"Depression central"

Former Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Lisbon

I worked at Novabase full-time for more than a year

Pros

It as a decent starting salary for entry level employees, but only when compared to other Lisbon based counterparts. Strangely enough, I was able to make a couple of really good friends there. Don't get me wrong: I know how extremely lucky I was. Unfortunately, for each one of these really great guys, I had to work with several "questionable" characters. Some of the worst engineers that I've work with, are still at... Novabase. The majority of people there suffer for their 10+ daily hours and then go home and cry themselves to sleep. Somehow they think that a week on Algarve (or any other low cost destination) is worth the pain and suffering of having to deal with that environment for years on end.

Cons

Where to start? Basically, the harder you work, the harder your life is going to be. If you are a decent and hard working individual prepare yourself to be screwed over and over again. As soon as you prove that you can solve problems, you are going to be used to compensate for the legions of freeloaders and boot lickers over there. On the other hand, if you are used to go by life with the minimum effort possible,... than this is your company. It is actually possible to get admitted into certain areas where you can spend days updating your Facebook profile without any prejudice whatsoever. Most managers don't like to be criticized by "underlings", just like your typical company from the 50's. Its kinda sad because at the same time, this company tries to output this "new age" outlook but fails miserably at it. Any decent engineer doesn't stay there for more than two years. If you do, either you have a really strong reason to be in Lisbon or you are too bad to go elsewhere. The evaluation scheme is a joke and creates more problems than it solves. It ends up creating a scheme that eventually frustrates the really good workers out of their contracts and allows a loop hole for the sleazy ones to be retained forever. The tendency towards infinity is bankruptcy by incompetence. The majority of people that left the company, did it out of frustration. There were ones that simply got better offers somewhere else, but the majority got fed up with the long hours, incompetent manager and general unhappiness.

Advice to Management

I know that its easier to leave things as they are. As long as the money flows and the board members are happy, who cares right? Your business model right now consists in getting a ton of young talent, fresh out of the Universities, isolate the really good ones and ride them like a cheap mule until they are fed up and finally quit.There's no career progression because your corporate pyramid is clogged with useless... chaps. They carved a niche there and now you have to wait for them to die to free up the salary space. There's no long term plan for sustainability and you were only sucessful in scaring away any decent engineer that ever set foot there. If you don't take an agressive stance on this matter and reform the company to attract good talent, you are going to end up getting yourself in debt to support a bunch of washed up boot lickers that have the combined productivity of a empty can of beans. If you insist in maintainig this work "ethic", then you need to pray that companies such as Google, Facebook, Cisco or Microsoft stay away from developing applications in Lisbon because, if that happens and they maintain the same work philosophy as in other countries, the young talent faucet is going to be permanently shut. By the way, Microsoft is already there but it still aligned with the whole crappy portuguese work mentality. If they seriously revise their work standards to meet the ones in the U.S.A or the rest of Europe, you are going to see people quitting your company by the dozens at a time.

Novabase2015-09-12