Novatel Wireless Reviews in San Diego, CA | Glassdoor

San Diego, CA Area

2.8
Sue Swenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people, great location, great lead (in 7 reviews)

• Good people, good pay, good benefits (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Not too good guidance from upper management (in 7 reviews)

• The older leadership was not good now new CEO is really doing good and has brought positive environment in company (in 3 reviews)

1. "Interactive and enjoyable"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good gym, pool, spa and sport courts (IE: Tennis, Basketball, Ping Pong etc.).
    Good Work environment.
    Close to Food court.

Cons

Lots of 3rd party interaction.
    Low salaries.
    Worried about company stability.
    Difficult to obtain equipment needed for development.

Advice to Management

Please improve marketing. Right now I feel there needs to be more marketing (IE: PR). I also feel the name Novatel should be marketed and not just our main product.

"My experience at Novatel Wireless started as a wonderful opportunity that led to positive and life-changing events"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Novatel Wireless is a large company with several hundred people, most of us in San Diego, CA. We have very talented individuals working in our engineering and test teams. Our customers are very satisfied with our deep commitment and persevering attention to detail as we have launched - and continue to launch - cutting edge wireless data (mobile broadband) products.

Cons

Novatel Wireless is a publicly traded company. We are 'NVTL' on the NASDAQ. Quarterly earnings is detrimental to our R&D and planning because Wall Street always wants to know that we are going to be reaching new highs next quarter.

Advice to Management

Novatel Wireless is a high-tech team with some great players who have launched killer products, including MiFi. The team can be made even stronger with better leadership and communication. After improving internal communications, allocate more time to strategic marketing and more budget to competitive intelligence / market research. Wireless is a fast changing space and it takes extra effort to stay on top of the latest events and happenings.

"One of the best environments I've worked in during my career"

Current Contractor - Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership with a clear vision. Happy co-workers. One of the best corporate cultures in San Diego. The leadership is very open with communication. It's a place you are happy to go each day because the direction is clear, people are hard working and you get to work with cutting edge technology. The company is growing and expanding the products outside of Telecomm. New direct to consumer products will hit the market later this year (2015). Strong fiscal performance. The future is bright and you could easily make a career here.

Cons

It seems like the negative comments posted are from those employees who were laid-off. The older leadership (from what I've been told) used to play favorites and were fiscally irresponsible. That isn't the case now. The changes at the top, including some board members, have all been for the positive but change is difficult for some people. I only wish it had happened sooner!

Advice to Management

Keep up the communication and making sure everyone is focused on the same priorities. The executive team is very approachable and you make the employees feel part of the success.

4. "Great work life balance, loved it!"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a perfect place to work. Great people, great location, great lead. Actually company genuinely cares about their employees. Management listen them and work for them. Pretty much like a well knitted family. Flow of information, flow of ideas is unbeatable over here.

Cons

I didn't find anything wrong with this company. Great work life balance.

Advice to Management

At this point of time I don't have much to advice. Just keep moving forward as like this.

5. "From MiFi to Fleet"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great technical team and problem solving attitude, Core team has been together for a long time and has delivered on many challenging and innovative technologies.

Cons

lots of stop and go , changing priorities and lack of focus. Senior team needs to spend more time in the trenches.

Advice to Management

pick what you want to be #1 in and get it done better than anyone else.

6. "Was a Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with, great benefits, awesome culture, people from all over the world, great technology.

Cons

Up and down of technology

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees of all levels.

7. "It's a great entry level organization, but doesn't seem to have any internal promotion process."

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in San Diego, CA

Pros

There is a great balance of Work and Home Life here. My direct manager is fantastic and the team I'm on is also a great joy to work with. This makes morale very high which encourages positive work ethic and makes you want to come to work.

Cons

There is a lack of innovation at the company which is directly tied to the lack of incentives for such a thing. The Novatel stock is very volatile and makes for a poor investment which leads to even less incentive to innovate. This coupled with a poor promotion system is leading to lots of top talent vacating in search of better opportunities.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more incentive for innovation. An improved promotion system would help with this and would also help keep some of your best talent at Novatel. Expanding into new markets and improving our current position in our main market would help boost our stock and strengthen our company. This can be done best if your human resources are encouraged to innovate.

8. "Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development."

Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Test Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Working environment
    Great work-life balance with adequate opportunity for career development.
    Colleagues are great, smart, passionate.
    Strong leadership with a clear vision.Good Working environment.
    The leadership is very open with communication.
    You get to work with cutting edge technologies.The company is growing and expanding the products outside of Telecom.

Cons

The older leadership was not good now new CEO is really doing good and has brought positive environment in company.

9. "Promising future!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Novatel Wireless full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is in a growth spurt and buying new companies. Top of the line products are hitting big time with top wireless companies. Working environment is great with smart and fun people!

Cons

No matching 401K and permanent employee incentive bonus plan.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and focus on expanding the market for our top products. Also bring back 401K matching program and create an employee incentive bonus plan to attract and keep quality people in the company.

10. "Great Place to Work, Struggling to Remain Relevant"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Novatel Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Probably the most friendly company I have ever worked for. My team there was the best. That was the main reason I stayed for nearly 6 years.

Cons

My recent "Reduction in Force" layoff seemed impulsive. The company has had lots of problems over the last 3 years. I don't think management can focus on a firm direction.

Advice to Management

Many folks feel insecure in there jobs there. You'll lose people faster than they can be replaced. Novatel is already working with a skeleton crew.