Novation Reviews | Glassdoor

Jody Hatcher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Miss the old days"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Novation (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great group of people who worked hard to accomplish a lot while it lasted. It proved that you could both work hard and have fun.

Cons

Unfortunately, the business model (last operating sub) was not a viable plan. All good things come to an end,....

"Portfolio Executive"

Current Employee - Portfolio Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Portfolio Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Novation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits and work life balance

Cons

Very bureaucratic.... Worthless & undeserved arrogance of vice presidents and senior directors, which lead to miserable directors. Trickle down effect of unhappiness. Best thing would be to get rid of the VP's and then the directors would be happier with their jobs. Which would cause all of the people below the directors to be happy and their wouldn't be such a high turnover rate among the people that actually do all of the work.

Advice to Management

Do some homework and find out why your turnover rate is so high. Find a way to get a truly anonymous survey and get the truth. Your turnover rate among the people that acutually get the job done will go down dramatically.

"Chemical sales and service"

Current Employee - Chemical Sales and Service in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Chemical Sales and Service in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Novation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Consistently changing land scape and no one account serviced is exactly the same. Meeting new and interesting people is all ways a plus. Company vehicle is provided and the company does offer benefits packages.

Cons

Long hours and part of the job is collections which can be difficult in some accounts. On call rotations during holidays and weekends.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and there is nothing we can not accomplish. Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

"Nice work life balance"

I have been working at Novation full-time

Pros

typically do not have to work past 5

Cons

merger and acquisition affecting culture

"Purchased Services Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at Novation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can skate by with doing absolutely nothing.

Cons

Everyone in management is a total joke (in the purchased services department). I would not hire them for janitorial services at a public school. It.is.that.bad.

Advice to Management

Seriously?

"Portfolio Executive"

Former Employee - Portfolio Executive in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Portfolio Executive in Irving, TX

I worked at Novation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Novation is an easy place to work. The work life balance, PTO, etc are great and there are few pressures if you are reasonably smart and motivated

Cons

Organization, as a whole, is very complacent. There are mediocre people at every level clinging to the easy ride. This makes it difficult for promotions since they also don't really fire people - unless you are old, then you are definitely getting fired - and often brings high performers back to the average. Without promotions or outstanding pay, even a decent place to work gets boring.

Advice to Management

Top level management is great but there is definitely some fat at the VP and Sr Director level which could be cut. A culture celebrating mediocrity is probably not what you are going for.

7. "Portfolio Admin"

Pros

Great hands on experience with upward mobility

Cons

Very demanding with many people you report to

"Director Finance"

Pros

Great Company, Good Benefits, Work / Life Balance

Cons

Some Sr. Management are not good leaders. Don't know how some of them made it to the postitions

Advice to Management

Take a look at your leadership team. Some are a huge liability to the organization

"Mostly, a Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Irving, TX

I have been working at Novation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unlike some reviewers, I do not agree that race or gender plays a major role in hiring and promotion; I am a white guy and both my boss and boss' boss are minorities, and my boss' boss and her boss are both women. Despite the math focus, at least half of the analysts in this company are women. There are multiple female SVP's. A large percentage of the workforce is middle-eastern or black.

The benefits are fantastic and start on Day One. The average IQ at this company is significantly higher than any place else I've ever worked. Other than the administrative assistant roles, there is upward mobility and multiple career paths that can be pursued from nearly every position. Every boss I've had over my 8 year tenure has been happy to help me grow and develop even if it meant losing a valued and experienced worker to another department. In every department I've worked in, there has been a very strong focus on recognizing and rewarding those who perform well. There are numerous training opportunities. The bonus structure is generous. There is a strong collaborative culture that celebrates wins.

Cons

1) Negotiation is the primary focus of this company, and it profoundly affects the company's DNA. If you are not politically focused, if you struggle to form and maintain strong relationships and alliances, if you are not politically correct and struggle to adapt to corporate speak, you will have trouble advancing and, depending on your role, may not keep your position.

2) I strongly agree with what other reviewers have said about worker experiences greatly varying from one department to the next. I have worked in awesome departments and horrendous departments. Work-life balance varies equally dramatically. Management quality varies dramatically and bad managers that are good at politics do get promoted.

3) Annual reviews are awarded in each department on a curve. The same quality of work will get you bigger or smaller annual raises depending on how good your coworkers are. Reviews are highly subjective, so managements' favorites do get better raises.

Advice to Management

HR should train management on the proper and effective use of the disciplinary system; I've seen a couple different managers fabricate offenses to "get even" with employees who angered them. I've also seen the disciplinary system used to excess, destroying department morale. (Yes, the rules say not to discuss disciplinary actions with coworkers. No, employees who feel aggrieved by that process don't follow that rule.)

The annual review process should be based on objective criteria, not subjective. People who perform to established metrics should get higher raises, regardless of how well a manager likes the person.

In some departments, my boss' boss has asked me to confidentially evaluate my boss as part of our annual review. In other departments I have not. This should be a universal practice, should also be based on objective metrics and should account for at least 1/3 of the boss' overall review results (with their boss' evaluation making up the balance).

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Novation full-time

Pros

- Nice people and culture: The people here are a great team to work with. There is a lot of mutual respect among the team members and they work well. They company treats employees well and respects employee needs.
    - Work life balance: probably one of the best companies for work life balance. You generally don't have calls in the nights like some other companies. They hire a good balance of people for the work.
    - Benefits are good - they pay competitively, have other benefits that are hard to beat.

Cons

- As other reviewers have said there is a big aspect of the 'old boys network', which is predominantly white. If you know the people within your circle you stay and get promoted.
    - There is not a huge growth for people who are have specific skills like design, technology ..etc. i.e. there is not a technology ladder per se. You have to be good in managing people and playing the political game if you want to get promoted.
    - Movement up the chain works for people who can play politics and be good resource managers and not thought leaders.
    - There is an over abundance of senior management - where do you see 50 SVPs, 100 VPs and even more Sr. Directors and Directors for a 2000 people company.
    - If you're interested in getting hired, leading a good life balance and happy with the status quo, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

Have a pure management leader and a thought leader ladder and keep both sides happy. Leadership is not all about pure people management.