Novell Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Fewer opportunities to move up as company no longer growing as they did in past years (in 6 reviews)

• Career growth touching nadir - You will find 10 years experience people sitting and fixing bugs months after months (in 5 reviews)

1. "Not soo good experience"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Novell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working timing is good and products are good.

Cons

difficult to work With high attitude existing employee. promotion and hike is very less.it is depend on the basis of rapo with your boss. No innovation and no flexible work time.

Advice to Management

Managemengt need to promote some good technical employee

"Join only if you don't need salary hike and you are mentally strong to face daily torture"

Current Employee - Software Consultant in Bengaluru (India)
    Current Employee - Software Consultant in Bengaluru (India)

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. Salary offered at the time of Joining is good.
    2. Good technical people .
    3. Complex product to learn

Cons

1.Company is not doing well so to cut cost they are hiring service company managers and these managers have brought worst culture in Novell . You may have to fight on hourly basis in office.These managers don't understand the product and will behave very bad with you.
    2.In last 3 years not seen a single Hike in salary,only hike you will see will be at the time of Joining.

Advice to Management

1. What is the need to hire service company managers in a technical company .
    2. With price rise every where people need salary hike ,without salary hike how can someone survive in Bangalore?
    3. It is going just in Nokia direction ,promote research and development here.

"NO MORE NOVEL COMPANY TO BE IN"

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff I in Bengaluru (India)
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff I in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Once upon a time it was a good company to work for.

Decent technology exposure for new comers.

Work life balance was there once upon a time and now limited to few legacy products.

Cons

Revenue decline across all BU's for last so many years

With new Microfocus acquisition , some more layoffs seems to be on horizon. Although recruitment is in progress for filling recent attrition, it is mostly due to foresighted cuts expected. Might be scary for new joiners.

Salary is not competitive and no stock options.

"Never Join this company. There is no respect for your Professional skills here. They will kick you out !!"

Former Employee - Software Consultant in Bengaluru (India)

I worked at Novell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Novell India has a good brand value outside. I was very excited to join this company.Whoever i talked to had the same opinion about the company. I went into the company thinking that this would be the my last company or i would settle down here.

Cons

All things went for a toss after joining the company.

There is nothing called work culture or work life balance. It is a Service company disguised as a Product company. The Manager would interfere in task estimations every sprint.He would struck down our estimates and come up with his own estimates.And hold team members accountable for not delivering the tasks on time.Initially i went along with his estimates as i was new to the tasks.Then when i started standing my ground, he completely turned around calling me incompetent.

The KT that i recieved from a junior was a Farce. There are no documents for anything and u r not allowed to go and have an open discussion with people who know things. And people who are in the company for a long time are very closed and have a 'I know evrything attitude".

At the end of 4 months of joining , the Manager started blackmailing that he would withhold my confirmation as he was not satisfied with my performance as a Team Lead.He was ok with my technical performance, but wanted me to take the lead of a big Team of just 1 member.I took the criticism constructively and told him that i would be in a position to put my view points across only when i have a pretty good understanding of the product and i was not the one who would express comments jsut for the sake of it.

He would then come up at the end of evry Friday and ask the team to work over the weekend and finish up the task for the sprint.This continued almost evry sprint. This put my work life balance for a toss with even my family complaining that i was not giving sufficient time for them.

The final blow came when the Manager handed me over a letter saying that my probationary period would be extended and my services might be terminated if the company was not satisfied with my performance. This despite so much of honest hard work put in understanding and completing the tasks. I dont say that i am an expert on some skill, but i am not that dumb either that you could hand me over this letter saying that company does not need you.

Then i decided that enough is enough and my skills and experience has been insulted and disrespected here. This is when i decided to move out of the company. I will never forget the amount of insult and the mental trauma that i went through in this company throughout my life.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for the skills and experience that professionals bring to the company. Do not hire people if you feel they do not match up to "Novell Standards" and try to kick them out. It is a waste of time for you and waste of time for the Professional.

5. "worst company to work in india"

I worked at Novell full-time

Pros

Nothing apart from unlimited sick leaves.

Cons

Manager driven and manager has more power. All are depends on your manager.No hike for last 2 yrs. You should say 'yes' for what ever manager says. Else you won't get any hike for sure. Manager does not know how to run a project.Non technical manager won't understand any technical issues.

HR can't take any decision and they needs to depend / obey with the BU Directer

Advice to Management

please layoff all the poor middle management people and recruit from good company.

6. "Sinking Ship"

Pros

Typing something here so that the system will accept my review. There are absolutely no pros to working here, as of 2015.

Cons

Too much internal politics.
    Managers from Indian services companies spoilt the culture.
    Poor salaries unless you are in good terms with your managers.
    No recognition for talent.
    Obsolete technology and end of life products with no interest for new development.

Advice to Management

You are beyond redemption

7. "TSS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Pros

No pros the company is dead

Cons

The company died a long time ago

Advice to Management

Nil

8. "Novell has some excellent potential to re-invent itself, but is slow to do so."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

I'm well compensated and feel appreciated for the quality and quantity of work that I do.

Cons

Not enough growth opportunities, and not enough technical expertise and will-power to change.

Advice to Management

Put some skin in the game. Let's see some executives that are willing to stick it out and not just use Novell as a stepping stone. Executives should be financially rewarded for making the company more profitable, not just for reaching easy, self-imposed goals., and not just for laying people off. Executives need to find some focus.

9. "Read the fine print"

Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Sales Specialist in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good technology, great friendships if you like tech its the place to be.

Cons

Highly political. If you are on the West Coast, brace yourself for working with an East Coast company. An Old White Boys network that was sexist to say the least. Really bad managers are allowed to stay because of who they know in the company and this forces good employees out. Not uncommon for employees to be dressed down by management in front of their peers. Truly the worst, most unprofessional company I've ever worked for. I left a few years ago and the memory of it still haunts me.

Advice to Management

Be fair and treat employees as you would want to be treated

10. "Novell will not be in business for long."

Current Employee - Backline Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Backline Support Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

Flexible schedule, good pay and benefits

Cons

No opportunities for advancement. Incompetent executive management.

Advice to Management

Infrastructure is a commodity. Collaboration is the killer app. Customers are not happy that support and development are outsourced outside the U.S.