Novell Reviews | Glassdoor

Novell Reviews

Updated April 11, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Inadequate focus on building new products (in 8 reviews)

• upper management seems to be lost (in 8 reviews)

1. "Project management work at Novell"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Provo, UT

Pros

Good benefits
    Excellent facilities, offices rather than cubicles
    Lots of vacation time
    Flexible for telecommuting
    Very strong technology portfolio, just week on execution.

Cons

Uncertain future, the strategy changes so often that the average employee doesn't keep up with it.
    Lots of off-shoring. This makes work schedules erratic, but good if you want work in China or India.

Advice to Management

ask yourselves the question, "When we've off-shored the majority of R&D to reduce costs, how do we innovate to create sustainable growth?"

2. "Work"

Pros

Novell has a really good atmosphere and does have some of the best benefits that are available. They are also open about time off and coming in to work at a decent time.

Cons

Novell does not have a very good way of promoting their products, thus customers move on to competitors all the time. The company it's self is constantly shrinking its head count, making everyone nervous that their job is next to get cut.

Advice to Management

I enjoy the atmosphere but I would like to know that I have a future in the company. I would also ask management to not micromanage the employees.

3. "Sad to See a Former Great Company Go Down the Tubes"

Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Application Engineer in Provo, UT

Pros

Good pay, decent benefits, nice co-workers, excellent facilities, bonuses

Cons

The company has a reputation of doing layoffs each year. They are in a downward death spiral that may not bottom out. Working there is pleasant, but you must constantly wonder if you will have a job the next week.

Advice to Management

Stop changing directions every few months. Focus on selling stuff. Stop trying to be "the big player". Novell is no longer a powerhouse.

"Good place to jump start (if one does not have a good resume), but move on quickly"

Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Web Developer Intern in Provo, UT

Pros

Decent pay (for an internship in Provo), flexible hours, nice facilities (loved having an office instead of a cubicle)

Cons

Basically, everyone in my team had been laid off and rehired (or brought in as a contractor) like 3 times. The place is extremely unstable when it comes to having any career prospect

Mid-level managers and engineers aren't in the same page, and young starlets do not get enough attention or guidance (and take the brunt when something goes awry). Don't expect help from other engineers or developers (you are a nuissance).

If you have been laid off: you will not be formally notified. You will come to work one day and your access card will not work. Then you will be notified by phone that you need to make an appointment with a security guard to get your stuff from your office, and thank-you-very-much.

Advice to Management

High-level managers: people are your main assets. Massive layoffs due to irresponsible risk taking are your fault.

Mid-level managers: take responsibility for training your people.

"Beautiful Campus, Reasonable Pay, Good Opportunity, Difficult Culture"

Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Provo, UT

Pros

Beautiful offices and campus, convenient on-site gym, bank and cafeteria, opportunity for solid business experience, great opportunity for exposure to international business, home to some of the hardest workers with whom I've had the pleasure to be associated

Cons

Lack of communication, executives are focused on personal goals rather than leadership and building a good culture, total lack of valuing of employees as an asset, due to international presence, MANY work hours expected of salaried employees including late nights and early mornings and all normal hours in between, in-fighting between executives at the various sites across the globe, an archaic sense that in the relatively smaller Provo, Utah market employees have no other viable employment options and Novell is the only "game in town" and consequently employees are not treated as they should be, there is a surprising number of under-qualified upper management

Advice to Management

Value your employees and verbally express thanks for their hard work, communicate more openly, foster unity among various departments, develop a productive culture

7. "Great Company to work for until acquired by Attachmate"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company used to have a great vibe, awesome management, competitive salary and bonuses.

Cons

After Attachmate acquisition, much of the management and employee knowledge went out the door with the lay offs that occurred. Left existing employees carrying huge work loads, benefits got worse, little to no raises. Morale became bad and management either didn't care or was unable to take any action to change anything.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better.

8. "A dying company lacking vision and leadership"

I have been working at Novell full-time

Pros

Great work life balance and benefits. Everyone understands the importance of getting in early and leaving on time. The people are great to work with.

Cons

No innovation, a defeatist culture and limited communication from leadership. Although the people are great, they do not have the resources or support to reach potential. This perpetuates the "us against them" attitude toward leadership in that no one truly knows what is coming in the next quarter as far as compensation, bonus, investment, or layoffs.

Advice to Management

whatever the vision and direction may be, communicate it honestly with all. Do not communicate thing at company-wide meetings and then fail to make decisions that back that communication behind closed doors

9. "Declining - fast!"

Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Premium Support Engineer in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The current pros: decent pension contributions from the company is all I can think about.

Cons

I worked at Novell (now TAG) for over 10 years. I started when Novell was a great company to work at. You felt like you were valued, training, salary, and benefits were all very generous. If you ever needed anything that was within reason you would get it approved relatively fast. This is definitely not the case now!

Cons:

1.) Lack of salary increase. I haven't had an increase for the past 6 years. The usual excuse is that there's a recession and the company has reviewed salaries and the salaries are still competitive. The salaries are NOT competitive. I have ex colleague's that have left and are being paid a higher salary that is inline with inflation.

2.) Lack of direction from management. I'm not impressed with the TAG style of management, they are out of touch with the employees and technology and are only worried about profit. Many talented and highly experienced employees were laid off.

3.) Lack of training and development. Training is no longer seen as a necessity, cost cutting has taken a priority over everything so you are left with demotivated staff that just go through the motions.

4.) Lack of incentive related bonus. In the past, bonuses were related to performance, if you went the extra mile you got a bonus that reflected that. This is no longer the case, there's no real incentive for employees to go the extra mile if there's nothing in it for them, except Sales are renewals, they are the one's that drive the current bonus scheme. See point 1 above.

5.) All round negativity. The whole company is currently filled with so much negativity that no one cares anymore. Management fail to see that the company will not be successful when the majority of employees are unhappy. The negativity spills out to the customers, they can sense it and then lose faith in the whole company and will rather take their money elsewhere.

6.) Stale products. Novell used to have great products in the past, Novell had some really innovative and cutting edge technology but this is no longer the case. Most of the current software is just the same old crud with a different interface.

7.) Management out of touch with employees. I can't remember the last time my manager actually asked me if I was happy in my role, if I needed any training, or if I was happy in my role or was interested in a different role. Management just don't seem to care and are just as demotivated as the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with employees, get back to basics and don't neglect employees. They're not happy and the company won't be successful if employees are unhappy.
    You pay people peanuts, you get monkeys. Before I left I made sure that I worked the EXACT hours required, never giving an inch since there was nothing in it for me, many colleagues' feel the same way, you need to try and eliminate the company wide negativity.
    Provide employees with security, give them an increase!

10. "It used to be one of the great places to work in Utah; that is until the acquisition happened."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I worked at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The salary is competitive. Good work/life balance.

Cons

There is GREAT question of whether or not the company will survive.

Advice to Management

Just tell the truth of what the direction is for the company; will it eventually dissolve? Open up about the plans to re-locate outside of Utah.

11. "What use to be is no longer ,,,"

Current Employee - Account Exed in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Account Exed in Provo, UT

I have been working at Novell full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are still good people at Novell. A lot of flexibility doing your job.

Cons

Management does not reinvest in R&D. It takes years versus months for new product features.

Advice to Management

Start caring about the customer (again).