Novelty Inc. Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Todd Green

1. "Great place to work. A new future is now current."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Midwest, WY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Midwest, WY

I have been working at Novelty Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The old way of doing things is now gone. A new vision is now happening.

Cons

None that i can speak of....the new way of doing things is now happening.

Advice to Management

Continue making the front line of DSD in the field a number 1 priority. Without an offensive line, the quarterback will never succeed.

"Great Company...Lots of Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Nashville, TN

Pros

I returned to a Novelty, Inc. about 8 months ago after a 5-6 year hiatus during which time I owned a few different businesses. Previously, I worked for Novelty for a little over 3 years. During my time away from the company, there have been a lot of positive changes and there are more coming soon. If you are looking for an opportunity to earn a good living, you might consider Novelty. Having been self-employed myself for several years, I have witnessed first-hand the pitfalls of running your own business and sometimes losing a lot of money in the process. During my days of self-employment, 75-80 hour weeks were not uncommon and I had a lot of expenses (payroll, rents, etc.) to cover before I ever saw a dime. With Novelty, I am in a position where I can make a good income and have good benefits (401K, health insurance, etc.) without the financial risk that comes with owning your own business. I am not saying I would never go into business for myself again but my current position with Novelty helps me satisfy my entrepreneurial desires.

Cons

For me personally, there really aren't many cons. I do work a lot of hours (including some Saturdays) but it is reflected in my compensation.

Advice to Management

The owner is in the process of implementing changes to move the company and his employees in a positive direction and I look forward to the exiting future of this company.

3. "National Sales Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenfield, IN

I worked at Novelty Inc. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Novelty Inc. for an extended period of time. Worked with great people. It was an enjoyable place to work while providing for my family. It challenged me daily by having different product on an on going basis as well as having to deal with the liquidation side of the business. My favorite part working there was the ability of the product development division providing me with the trend setting products at a blink of an eye. Always something new to sell.

Cons

Cons were few and far between and they were addressed by upper management in a timely manner when brought to there attention.

5. "great"

Former Employee - Sales in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Sales in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Novelty Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

best job I ever had. compared to my other jobs in retain management, NO PRESSURES AT ALL

Cons

hand held computer was slow

"Key Account Manager"

I have been working at Novelty Inc. full-time

Pros

Novelty is an entrepreneurial company ran by an entrepreneur. It is Sales driven and compensates people to sell stuff. If you are looking for a place to blend in and get by, this company is not for you. If you are looking for place to be a meaningful part of a sales team and be compensated based on the results that you produce, you will love the straight talk and the opportunity. You will appreciate that it is a business run by results and not by office politics. The owner is still very hands on in the business and is willing and will help you win. This company is is a creative business and invents some very cool products that sell. This job is not for everyone but the people who are winners will love the fact that their pay is based on their ability and they are not covering for the dead weight.

Cons

The business is inherently in a state of change. The products are trend based and to keep up with the trends, the products are consistently changing. It can be a lot to wrap your head around but gives you a great breadth of product to sell.

Advice to Management

Continue to reward your employees that produce results and they will continue to do so.

7. "Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenfield, IN

I worked at Novelty Inc. (More than a year)

Pros

Can't think of anything good to say.

Cons

Revolving door. Do not care about the employees only upper management

"Pay could be a lot better considering all that we do"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Novelty Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Little or no supervision

Cons

Pay, home time, commissions, and comfort.

Advice to Management

All the managers should be retrained.

9. "Great people"

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Novelty Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work on ur own and make the call on what the salespeople can do

Cons

Travel too much due to not being staffed properly cause of the pay. Not paid close to what other company DM's make.

Advice to Management

Get with the times and pay the employees a comparable wage to other good dsd companies and I will keep good people around.

"Bad Judgement"

I worked at Novelty Inc. full-time

Pros

Driving distance from my home...Several goodhearted associates...free coffee...compact working environment...nice pond on the front of the property...great guy that cuts the grass

Cons

The owner is at it again...His latest hire (in January ) and recent "fire" (in March) was a man whom he sued and who sued him back several years ago... this now former "executive " has now been indicted in his home state of Rhode Island ( public record..ATF web site) on 22 counts.. Shows the kind of judgement the owner has... His success in building his company was largely a result of selling ephedrine back in the day...after that business went away, his customers ( about 80 %) refused to carry his other products and his business declined by more than 60% ...his reputation has caused several key players in the C store industry to refuse doing business with him...If you are thinking of joining Novelty, for your own sake, DON'T !!!!

Advice to Management

My advice is really for the few good people left...If you value your integrity, please get out of there...Look at your self in the mirror and ask if you are proud to associate yourself with him...For the owner, just sell it...

"Horrible. Run from this company"

Current Employee - Route Sales in Greenfield, IN
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Greenfield, IN

Pros

Work on your own. There are no other pros about this company.

Cons

Worst job in the world. You work 60+ hours a week and bring home about $400 for the week. Upper management has no clue how to run a route and they make the job so much harder than it needs to be. They force you to put out product that doesn't sell and then forces you to pick it back up and they charge you for it. You might gross $15,000 a week then after having to pick up all the credits your net sales might be about $7,000 a week. If you take vacation they will send someone to run your route and they might catch half of the stops that are on your route, so when you come back from vacation you have to catch all the stops that they missed and if you don't catch all your stops by Friday they make you work Saturday. Also, most of the routes cover several states and you will be gone from home and your family all week. Most of the time you will have to go work at your storage unit on the weekend filling your truck up for the following week, so when you are home don't plan on doing anything with your family because you have to work. When they send a delivery from Indiana to your storage unit they will send you whatever they want. They will send a ton of product and you won't even be able to walk into your warehouse, so you will have to down stack about 8 pallets of product. This job will make you go crazy. Your pretty much free labor for them. You will put out a $100 floor display one month then the next month you will have to pick up whatever didn't sell from that display, so you give the account an $80 credit from that display. They pay you a commission on the $100 display then they take the $80 credit back out of your paycheck. Then the new display you take in is $85 and you get paid commission on that display. Then the next month you will have to pick up whatever doesn't sell from that display. It's a revolving door and the only one making money is the company. So, for two displays that you touched about 6 times each you will have gotten paid about $1.44 on the first display and about $1.52 on the second display after all the credits. One month they send out a high dollar display and the next month they send out a low dollar display, so their costs offset each other and then they don't have to pay the route guy pretty much anything.

Advice to Management

Let the route guys order their own product. They are adults and know what will sell in their territory. Stop forcing so much product on your guys. Also, if you force product out on the route guys and when they have to pick it up they shouldn't be charged for it.