Novetta Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Tiffanny Gates

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fantastic 401(k) plan, great salary, great benefits for education and conference budget (in 19 reviews)

• Great benefits (401k matching up to a high amount) (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There's no room for growth in the accounting department and Sr (in 3 reviews)

• Company will evolve as new owners prepare for next sale of assets (in 3 reviews)

1. "Cyber Security"

Pros

Fantastic 401(k) plan, great salary, great benefits for education and conference budget.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

NA.

2. "Employee Care"

I worked at Novetta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee benefits, 401k match, CEO - Tiffanny Gates

Cons

Layoffs, redeployments, not a ton of room for growth

3. "Brief Moment"

I worked at Novetta full-time

Pros

Good health insurance and nice offices

Cons

Large beauracracy, not much comraderie

4. "Great Place to Enjoy a Career"

Current Employee - Vice President Business Development
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Development

I have been working at Novetta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company communicates well with the workforce and has placed emphasis on a solid benefits package aligned with great compensation. Novetta has a high tech feel to it and the company promotes innovation. The leadership has a strategic plan that is achievable.

Cons

I have not observed any negatives thus far.

5. "Not trustworthy"

I worked at Novetta full-time

Pros

Good benefits at least then, heard they changed since.

Cons

They tend to eat their own at the management level. Good 'ol boy network at the top and very arrogant. Does not hesitate to fire someone if they do not fit in with the network. People that come off contracts be warned they will cut you even quicker.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way. Novetta is no longer the rising star it was when it first started out.

"Continually lowering the bar for bad management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Novetta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very generous
    Pay is great
    401k matching is so good you can almost overlook everything else
    The guys in NOVA are nice to work with

Cons

What can I say that hasn't already been said in other reviews? Because at this point, I really think I would just be beating a dead horse if I listed my complaints. The other 1 star reviews have accurately captured the theme of the Fayetteville, NC locale so instead of repeating previous comments I'm just going to describe how my employment came to an end, in an attempt to give any prospective job seekers some perspective on what working there is like.

I was a senior developer working remotely in another state. Because my team lead was a 23 year old with no managerial experience, I was not given what one would call "an over abundance of direction". But no matter, I've dealt with poor management before, I really thought I could work through it.

Leading up to this point I had been assigned a total of 3 tickets over the span of two months. After fixing all available bugs on my project, I asked to start working on new features, but was forbidden from doing so. Since I had clearly completed my work and there were lots of teams in need of help I asked if I could split my time with other teams, but was forbidden from that as well. Whether this was done out of malice or just incompetence I do not know. When you are being managed by someone who is just barely not a teenage, it is difficult to tell if their poor decisions stem from idiocy or arrogance.

And this brings me up to a Tuesday night around 10pm, about two weeks before my last day. I received an email from management informing me that I had a week and a half to report Fayetteville for permanent reassignment there. No further explanation was given, only a demand that I acknowledge the email.

It should be noted that the contract hadn't changed, my position had not suddenly been redefined, and to the best of my knowledge, no critical team member had quit creating a hole in our support staff. So I was justifiably confused at this sudden demand for my relocation.

So to recap, right before the start of the school year I was given a little less than two weeks notice that I had to relocate my family to another state. No problem, that should be plenty of time to sell my house, find lodging, enroll my kids in a new school, and tidy up my life in my old state.

A reasonable conclusion to be drawn from all of this nonsense was that while they wanted me gone, they didn't want to actually fire me. No problem, message received! I assumed that with this email we had hit peak crazy. I was wrong.

As a side note, being a senior developer with a security clearance living in the largest concentration of military bases in the world, I had no difficulty finding a new position. I did not find this fact surprising, but apparently they did.

By now it was Friday morning and they were expecting me to start in NC the following Monday. I then emailed management my resignation letter, gave them two weeks notice, and offered to drive down to NC to complete whatever out processing they'd like. I sent them this email at 10am on Friday. They didn't responded until 11pm Sunday night.

In a fairly terse email I was informed that I couldn't quit because I was fired. Ladies and gentlemen, we have now hit peak crazy.

But let me back up. I left out one small, yet important, detail from this story. Prior to sending in my resignation I contacted HR and told them that I was planning on quitting and when I quit, management "wasn't going to take it well". (A quick shout out to Novetta corporate HR by the way, they are lovely people who were very professional and I have nothing but nice things to say about them) In spite of seemingly years of evidence to the contrary, I was assured that NC management would handle things in a calm and professional manner. Clearly HR is staffed with optimists.

So upon learning that my punishment for quitting was being fired I just forwarded everything to HR and tried not to say "I told you so" too much. Eventually it was all sorted out I ended up being unfired and was allowed to give my two weeks. And that was my final two weeks at Novetta.

I wrote all of this to make the point that while this behavior was both petty and unprofessional, it wasn't really surprising. That is to say, everything that transpired was completely in keeping with their style of management. If that sounds like something you can live with, good news, they are always hiring.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to start. If losing 10% of your staff every year isn't enough to trigger some kind of response, good lord, what could I possibly say that would mean anything?

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southern Pines, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southern Pines, NC

I worked at Novetta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, but the management is terrible

Cons

Chaotic management, mostly young kids with no experience trying to program. Watch out for the egos, emotional fits about why things aren't working, and management laziness.

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of several people and find good leaders.

8. "Good Benes and Opps"

I worked at Novetta full-time

Pros

This company has great benefits and lots of opportunity.

Cons

I don't recall any cons

9. "Business Development"

I have been working at Novetta full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Excellent people to work with; great atmosphere to be in. One of the best careers I've ever had in the Intel space

Cons

- some "special flowers" in the company at high-levels. Some folks only see in there little box and are not willing to be flexible and work with the team. Communication is hard sometimes.

"An Excellent Company... but run screaming from Fayetteville"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Novetta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Culture, great benefits
    Coworkers are high quality, well-educated professionals
    Constantly encourages employees to innovate technically
    Mobility between projects, great efforts made to engage and retain employees
    Movie Nights!

For Fayetteville, NC:
    For a new graduate, this is great pay, great opportunity. They are quite willing to throw disproportionate pay grades and bonuses to get things done.
    Customers are super-appreciative of what we can do for them
    An opportunity to truly make a difference where it counts
    Ability to explore new technologies

Cons

Benefits have been reducing over time
    Diversity of locations has reduced that “small company” feeling

For Fayetteville, NC: "Your failure to plan is not my Crisis"
    Local management is toxic. They don’t know Technology, Project Management, Inventory Management, Knowledge Management or Stress Management.
    They operate in a state of near-constant crisis.
    They believe overworking their current devs and regular hackathons are an adequate replacement for good planning.
    They avoid written communication to prevent a paper trail against which they could be held.
    Experienced Technical leadership has all quit and become subcontractors… on the same contract.
    Experienced personnel have left at an unusually high rate.
    “High Speed” young devs are placed into leadership roles, then overworked beyond their technical competence, then broken by abuse for their inability to perform.
    Prototypes are presented as finished products.
    Testing is eschewed in favor of putting shiny new UI elements in front of their customers.
    Communication across teams and within the company is discouraged, funneled through management.
    Knowledge management and documentation are abstract follow-ons.
    Nepotism is rampant, for only family is trusted.

In short, experienced Software Engineers would do best avoiding this division.

Advice to Management

This is two reviews in one, Novetta as a whole vs. the InfoEx-SOF division.

The company as a whole is excellent, but needs to work on its intra-divisional communication and knowledge management. If it can regain a semblance of that small-company feel, they would be a wonder.

The Fayetteville, NC division is a hard nut to crack. So long as the existing management structure remains, and have the promise of new customers, they'll fight tooth and nail not to change. It remains a question not whether, but when they will fail -- and spectacularly so -- before or after that change happens.