Novetta Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Tiffanny Gates

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fantastic 401(k) plan, great salary, great benefits for education and conference budget" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great benefits (401k matching up to a high amount)" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "There's no room for growth in the accounting department and Sr" (in 3 reviews)

• "Company will evolve as new owners prepare for next sale of assets" (in 3 reviews)

1. "Senior Computer Scientist"

Former Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Computer Scientist in Washington, DC

I worked at Novetta full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked for Novetta for almost 10 years. Any downside was related to the challenges of working with the US gov. Issues that are mostly out of Novetta's control. I don't work at Novetta anymore, but would consider returning for sure. The CEO Tiffany Gates is really down to earth and super cool to talk to.

Cons

None. As I wrote above, any frustration I had was more related to the issues of working on federal government contracts. Federal employees are often rotated in and out which makes it very difficult because one fed manager "gets it" and will move all obstacles out of the way to help the project be successful and the next manager will spend all of her time telling us what shoe colors and shoe materials are allowed or not. No joke. Big Data project and all she wanted to talk about was appropriate shoe choices.

2. "Good company and benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Novetta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company with a good amount of benefits. Atmosphere where they try to retain and grow employees.

Cons

Internal processes are sometimes stovepiped amongst divisons.

3. "Excellent place to work. Very employee oriented."

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in McLean, VA

I have been working at Novetta full-time

Pros

Caring and positive supervisors and coworkers.

Cons

My team is overworked and needs more staffing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but be sure to continue investing more in critical infrastructure support staff.

4. "Employee Care"

I worked at Novetta full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee benefits, 401k match, CEO - Tiffanny Gates

Cons

Layoffs, redeployments, not a ton of room for growth

"Counting down the days until I can resign"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Novetta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never a dull moment here. The experiences here will be with you for the rest of your life.

Cons

This is my first job out of school and I am shocked on a near daily basis how incredibly childish, unprofessional, and combative management is. Only apply here if you are extremely resilient because you will be constantly tested.

Advice to Management

It would be a complete waste of time trying to right this ship. HR ignores all complaints. Fingers in ears, eyes closed, and humming.

6. "Cyber Security"

Pros

Fantastic 401(k) plan, great salary, great benefits for education and conference budget.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

NA.

7. "Brief Moment"

I worked at Novetta full-time

Pros

Good health insurance and nice offices

Cons

Large beauracracy, not much comraderie

8. "Great Place to Enjoy a Career"

Current Employee - Vice President Business Development
    Current Employee - Vice President Business Development

I have been working at Novetta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company communicates well with the workforce and has placed emphasis on a solid benefits package aligned with great compensation. Novetta has a high tech feel to it and the company promotes innovation. The leadership has a strategic plan that is achievable.

Cons

I have not observed any negatives thus far.

"Continually lowering the bar for bad management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Novetta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very generous
    Pay is great
    401k matching is so good you can almost overlook everything else
    The guys in NOVA are nice to work with

Cons

What can I say that hasn't already been said in other reviews? Because at this point, I really think I would just be beating a dead horse if I listed my complaints. The other 1 star reviews have accurately captured the theme of the Fayetteville, NC locale so instead of repeating previous comments I'm just going to describe how my employment came to an end, in an attempt to give any prospective job seekers some perspective on what working there is like.

I was a senior developer working remotely in another state. Because my team lead was a 23 year old with no managerial experience, I was not given what one would call "an over abundance of direction". But no matter, I've dealt with poor management before, I really thought I could work through it.

Leading up to this point I had been assigned a total of 3 tickets over the span of two months. After fixing all available bugs on my project, I asked to start working on new features, but was forbidden from doing so. Since I had clearly completed my work and there were lots of teams in need of help I asked if I could split my time with other teams, but was forbidden from that as well. Whether this was done out of malice or just incompetence I do not know. When you are being managed by someone who is just barely not a teenage, it is difficult to tell if their poor decisions stem from idiocy or arrogance.

And this brings me up to a Tuesday night around 10pm, about two weeks before my last day. I received an email from management informing me that I had a week and a half to report Fayetteville for permanent reassignment there. No further explanation was given, only a demand that I acknowledge the email.

It should be noted that the contract hadn't changed, my position had not suddenly been redefined, and to the best of my knowledge, no critical team member had quit creating a hole in our support staff. So I was justifiably confused at this sudden demand for my relocation.

So to recap, right before the start of the school year I was given a little less than two weeks notice that I had to relocate my family to another state. No problem, that should be plenty of time to sell my house, find lodging, enroll my kids in a new school, and tidy up my life in my old state.

A reasonable conclusion to be drawn from all of this nonsense was that while they wanted me gone, they didn't want to actually fire me. No problem, message received! I assumed that with this email we had hit peak crazy. I was wrong.

As a side note, being a senior developer with a security clearance living in the largest concentration of military bases in the world, I had no difficulty finding a new position. I did not find this fact surprising, but apparently they did.

By now it was Friday morning and they were expecting me to start in NC the following Monday. I then emailed management my resignation letter, gave them two weeks notice, and offered to drive down to NC to complete whatever out processing they'd like. I sent them this email at 10am on Friday. They didn't responded until 11pm Sunday night.

In a fairly terse email I was informed that I couldn't quit because I was fired. Ladies and gentlemen, we have now hit peak crazy.

But let me back up. I left out one small, yet important, detail from this story. Prior to sending in my resignation I contacted HR and told them that I was planning on quitting and when I quit, management "wasn't going to take it well". (A quick shout out to Novetta corporate HR by the way, they are lovely people who were very professional and I have nothing but nice things to say about them) In spite of seemingly years of evidence to the contrary, I was assured that NC management would handle things in a calm and professional manner. Clearly HR is staffed with optimists.

So upon learning that my punishment for quitting was being fired I just forwarded everything to HR and tried not to say "I told you so" too much. Eventually it was all sorted out I ended up being unfired and was allowed to give my two weeks. And that was my final two weeks at Novetta.

I wrote all of this to make the point that while this behavior was both petty and unprofessional, it wasn't really surprising. That is to say, everything that transpired was completely in keeping with their style of management. If that sounds like something you can live with, good news, they are always hiring.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to start. If losing 10% of your staff every year isn't enough to trigger some kind of response, good lord, what could I possibly say that would mean anything?

10. "Not trustworthy"

I worked at Novetta full-time

Pros

Good benefits at least then, heard they changed since.

Cons

They tend to eat their own at the management level. Good 'ol boy network at the top and very arrogant. Does not hesitate to fire someone if they do not fit in with the network. People that come off contracts be warned they will cut you even quicker.

Advice to Management

Get out of the way. Novetta is no longer the rising star it was when it first started out.