Novetta Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Software Engineer

Create your profile to get personalized information

Novetta Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Dec 31, 2019

3.2
Novetta President and CEO Tiffanny Gates
Tiffanny Gates
  1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Novetta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Benefits (401k, insurance etc.), Flexible schedule, Solid on-boarding process, Leadership that values employee feedback, Friendly office environment, Challenging projects, and many opportunities to learn and grow, convenient location

Cons

not much collaboration across teams

Novetta2019-02-18
  2. "Great work .. not so great management"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Novetta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the work and team

Cons

Management could use some improvement

Novetta2019-12-31
  3. "Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Novetta full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture seems accepting of diversity, but IMO very cliquish.

Cons

Managers very young and inexperienced

Advice to Management

Train your managers better

Novetta2019-11-10

"Can't do your best work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Novetta full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work is very interesting. Solving hard problems in an interesting space. You get to own full features and get a good amount of freedom to implement them as you'd like. Co-workers are smart and friendly.

Cons

You never have the time or resources to do your job well. Short staffing and overly tight deadlines lead to work you can't really be proud of. Feel like the only think that matters to management is that you fill out your timesheet so the contract you're on gets billed. Good luck getting a promotion without demanding one once you have taken on all the responsibility.

Advice to Management

Invest in your products and in your employees. Manage your projects, both the ones you sell directly and the ones you use to build them.

Novetta2019-10-02
  5. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Novetta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy place to work, wonderful support from leadership, Challenging problems to work on.

Cons

Currently waiting on space to be built out so things can get tight at times.

Novetta2019-07-17

"Downward Spiral"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Novetta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Up to date technologies - Collaboration - The few decent colleagues left

Cons

- Upper management has it's own agenda now. - Zero visibility - Deliverables are all that matter - Unprofessional

Advice to Management

This company use to function as a team and be exciting to work for. Now it's just a few higher level managers promoting themselves, making unilateral decisions, and ostracizing the people who disagree with them. Good luck retaining talent in this environment.

Novetta2018-09-23

"Good company and benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Novetta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company with a good amount of benefits. Atmosphere where they try to retain and grow employees.

Cons

Internal processes are sometimes stovepiped amongst divisons.

Novetta2018-07-08

"Continually lowering the bar for bad management"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Novetta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are very generous Pay is great 401k matching is so good you can almost overlook everything else The guys in NOVA are nice to work with

Cons

What can I say that hasn't already been said in other reviews? Because at this point, I really think I would just be beating a dead horse if I listed my complaints. The other 1 star reviews have accurately captured the theme of the Fayetteville, NC locale so instead of repeating previous comments I'm just going to describe how my employment came to an end, in an attempt to give any prospective job seekers some perspective on what working there is like. I was a senior developer working remotely in another state. Because my team lead was a 23 year old with no managerial experience, I was not given what one would call "an over abundance of direction". But no matter, I've dealt with poor management before, I really thought I could work through it. Leading up to this point I had been assigned a total of 3 tickets over the span of two months. After fixing all available bugs on my project, I asked to start working on new features, but was forbidden from doing so. Since I had clearly completed my work and there were lots of teams in need of help I asked if I could split my time with other teams, but was forbidden from that as well. Whether this was done out of malice or just incompetence I do not know. When you are being managed by someone who is just barely not a teenage, it is difficult to tell if their poor decisions stem from idiocy or arrogance. And this brings me up to a Tuesday night around 10pm, about two weeks before my last day. I received an email from management informing me that I had a week and a half to report Fayetteville for permanent reassignment there. No further explanation was given, only a demand that I acknowledge the email. It should be noted that the contract hadn't changed, my position had not suddenly been redefined, and to the best of my knowledge, no critical team member had quit creating a hole in our support staff. So I was justifiably confused at this sudden demand for my relocation. So to recap, right before the start of the school year I was given a little less than two weeks notice that I had to relocate my family to another state. No problem, that should be plenty of time to sell my house, find lodging, enroll my kids in a new school, and tidy up my life in my old state. A reasonable conclusion to be drawn from all of this nonsense was that while they wanted me gone, they didn't want to actually fire me. No problem, message received! I assumed that with this email we had hit peak crazy. I was wrong. As a side note, being a senior developer with a security clearance living in the largest concentration of military bases in the world, I had no difficulty finding a new position. I did not find this fact surprising, but apparently they did. By now it was Friday morning and they were expecting me to start in NC the following Monday. I then emailed management my resignation letter, gave them two weeks notice, and offered to drive down to NC to complete whatever out processing they'd like. I sent them this email at 10am on Friday. They didn't responded until 11pm Sunday night. In a fairly terse email I was informed that I couldn't quit because I was fired. Ladies and gentlemen, we have now hit peak crazy. But let me back up. I left out one small, yet important, detail from this story. Prior to sending in my resignation I contacted HR and told them that I was planning on quitting and when I quit, management "wasn't going to take it well". (A quick shout out to Novetta corporate HR by the way, they are lovely people who were very professional and I have nothing but nice things to say about them) In spite of seemingly years of evidence to the contrary, I was assured that NC management would handle things in a calm and professional manner. Clearly HR is staffed with optimists. So upon learning that my punishment for quitting was being fired I just forwarded everything to HR and tried not to say "I told you so" too much. Eventually it was all sorted out I ended up being unfired and was allowed to give my two weeks. And that was my final two weeks at Novetta. I wrote all of this to make the point that while this behavior was both petty and unprofessional, it wasn't really surprising. That is to say, everything that transpired was completely in keeping with their style of management. If that sounds like something you can live with, good news, they are always hiring.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't even know where to start. If losing 10% of your staff every year isn't enough to trigger some kind of response, good lord, what could I possibly say that would mean anything?

Novetta2018-01-29

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Southern Pines, NC

I worked at Novetta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Pay, but the management is terrible

Cons

Chaotic management, mostly young kids with no experience trying to program. Watch out for the egos, emotional fits about why things aren't working, and management laziness.

Advice to Management

Need to get rid of several people and find good leaders.

Novetta2018-01-06

"An Excellent Company... but run screaming from Fayetteville"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Novetta full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent Culture, great benefits Coworkers are high quality, well-educated professionals Constantly encourages employees to innovate technically Mobility between projects, great efforts made to engage and retain employees Movie Nights! For Fayetteville, NC: For a new graduate, this is great pay, great opportunity. They are quite willing to throw disproportionate pay grades and bonuses to get things done. Customers are super-appreciative of what we can do for them An opportunity to truly make a difference where it counts Ability to explore new technologies

Cons

Benefits have been reducing over time Diversity of locations has reduced that “small company” feeling For Fayetteville, NC: "Your failure to plan is not my Crisis" Local management is toxic. They don’t know Technology, Project Management, Inventory Management, Knowledge Management or Stress Management. They operate in a state of near-constant crisis. They believe overworking their current devs and regular hackathons are an adequate replacement for good planning. They avoid written communication to prevent a paper trail against which they could be held. Experienced Technical leadership has all quit and become subcontractors… on the same contract. Experienced personnel have left at an unusually high rate. “High Speed” young devs are placed into leadership roles, then overworked beyond their technical competence, then broken by abuse for their inability to perform. Prototypes are presented as finished products. Testing is eschewed in favor of putting shiny new UI elements in front of their customers. Communication across teams and within the company is discouraged, funneled through management. Knowledge management and documentation are abstract follow-ons. Nepotism is rampant, for only family is trusted. In short, experienced Software Engineers would do best avoiding this division.

Advice to Management

This is two reviews in one, Novetta as a whole vs. the InfoEx-SOF division. The company as a whole is excellent, but needs to work on its intra-divisional communication and knowledge management. If it can regain a semblance of that small-company feel, they would be a wonder. The Fayetteville, NC division is a hard nut to crack. So long as the existing management structure remains, and have the promise of new customers, they'll fight tooth and nail not to change. It remains a question not whether, but when they will fail -- and spectacularly so -- before or after that change happens.

Novetta2017-10-13