Novo Nordisk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Lars Fruergaard Jørgensen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent company benefits work-life balance (in 98 reviews)

• good company to work, great benefits (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • might affect work/life balance depending on your overseas partner (in 36 reviews)

• becoming big pharma with some of the negatives of periodic restructuring layoffs (in 23 reviews)

1. "NNI Review"

I worked at Novo Nordisk full-time

Pros

Enjoy working at this Company!

Cons

The interview process is slow.

2. "Associate Manager"

I have been working at Novo Nordisk full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Higher base salary than other pharmaceutical companies, flexible work at managers discretion, good time off

Cons

Minimal development opportunities because roles are specialized, rules for promotion and advancement only apply to certain groups, years of experience are ranked second to education, false transparency, responsibility and role not consistent with title and salary, levels vs responsibility and performance not consistent across organization

Advice to Management

Put more effort into developing current employees and identify opportunities for them instead of always looking outward for the next best thing. Work to ensure that levels are consistent across organization based on responsibility, output, and role expectations

3. "Associate Director, Medical Information and Analytics"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Plainsboro, NJ

I have been working at Novo Nordisk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work options; start with 3 weeks PTO

Cons

meeting heavy role; hard to schedule time to work from home

4. "Awesome work environment"

Pros

- Great teamwork
    - Great place to grow
    - Management is very supportive and open to ideas
    - Great vision overall

Cons

Can't think of anything yet.

"Diabetes Care Specialist"

I worked at Novo Nordisk full-time

Pros

Benefits, work life balance, pay, peers are great

Cons

management is poor, multiple territory changes, career ladder is only numbers based

6. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Senior Director in Plainsboro, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Plainsboro, NJ

I have been working at Novo Nordisk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, focused in diabetes with a long history in the disease state.

Cons

Significant turnover at the top. lack of diversity within the organization especially at senior levels.

7. "Poor leadership. They don’t even answer their reviews"

Pros

Working in the Diabetes and obesity spaces is challenging and interesting and rewarding however can’t say many pros about the company.

Cons

Novo Nordisk doesn’t even take the time to respond to reviews. It’s just one example of the egotistical leadership from this company. Where did we get these leaders? Our SVP is so over his head, it’s painful to watch him on stage, or really anywhere in the office. Get a rock star at the top in the US. We’ve had such poor leadership for several years now. The only way NN grew consistently over the years was through price increases, not consistent leadership.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Especially when it’s related to sexual harassment. And DO SOMETHING to stop sexual harassment when someone reports an incident to Human Resources. I’m not sure if it’s HR or sales leadership who’s protecting our “predators” but someone is because several are STILL here.

8. "Clayton site has no technical/maintenance management acumen"

Former Employee - Process Maintenance Tech II in Clayton, NC
    Former Employee - Process Maintenance Tech II in Clayton, NC

I worked at Novo Nordisk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly co workers, OK place to get pharma experience.

Cons

Lowest paying pharma company in the Triangle. No maintenance department. Equipment techs work for production so count on spending more time swinging a mop than turning wrenches. If you work in the aseptic department everything you do is being filmed, so yes, big brother is watching you. They add more cameras every shutdown. Count on being called to the office to be dinged for making aseptic behavior mistakes in the clean rooms by "experts" who have never done the job they're writing you up for doing wrong. It all adds up to create an environment of thanklessness that you can cut with a knife. With all of the expansion going on they try to con people into thinking that there's lots of opportunity. For folks in production that more often than not isn't true. They'll give you the "business needs" can't let you leave your current position line. There are exceptions to that, but don't count on being one of the lucky ones.

Advice to Management

For a company that counts Engagement as one of its key operating principles Novo was the least engaging job I have ever had, and I've had a couple of fairly lousy jobs. I was invited to one of the all important facilitation meetings a few years ago and when engagement was brought up almost every tech in the room agreed that they were spending so much time as operators that they no longer felt engaged. This somehow never found it's way into the final report. Let me make this clear to management: operator work is not engaging for technical people! You have a few techs there who are talented. They stay because they are either close to retirement or have been conned into believing that they can't find anything better, but they hate their jobs. The vast majority of your "techs" are folks with a little bit of technical aptitude who couldn't make it at most other pharma companies or would be set up mechanics or "technical operators". They wouldn't make technician pay. They're not bringing the qualifications listed in your production tech job description to the table. They're more or less happy because the more time they spend being operators the less they have to worry about they're lack of technical ability catching up with them.

My advice is start a real maintenance department. Bring in a contract technical training firm to test your techs. Bring the folks who pass into the new maintenance department and keep the rest in production as set ups and op-techs. (you might want to freeze their pay until they are making op-tech money).

Also, you have the fattest lean departmen I've ever seen. If I had the money I saw wasted on ill concieved lean projects and lean consultants I could pay off my house and then some. I currently work for a pharma plant twice the size of site Clayton, and we have a lean department, but with about one quarter the staff.

9. "Great Global Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, NC

I have been working at Novo Nordisk full-time

Pros

Triple Bottom Line. Good Values. Great comp & benefits.

Cons

Rather not give these details.

10. "A company is only as good as its leaders"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Novo Nordisk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Started with an amazing manager, who wanted all to grow and learn. Luckily for this person was promoted

Cons

The following managers were incapable - no transparency, no trust and only blame . If anything went well this person promoted themselves as the reason for success and pointed to others for failure

Advice to Management

Clean out bad leaders. You will loose good talent