NovoEd Reviews | Glassdoor

NovoEd Reviews

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Edward Miller

1. "Software Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working at NovoEd was great. I was treated as a regular employee and worked on the product directly (wasn't just shipped off to do a side project). Learned a lot of new and cool things along the way.

Cons

Lack of an intern program, but that is understandable since NovoEd is a startup.

"Tons of Autonomy, Lots of Opportunity to Make Big Impact"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NovoEd full-time

Pros

I have worked for a few start-ups now, and I've been really impressed by the high level of autonomy given to employees at NovoEd. When you own a project, you actually own it. And it's exciting to be able to grow initiatives from idea to implementation. We are regularly encouraged to challenge the norm, and continuously innovate. What I appreciate the most is that the team is comprised of very educated-minded individuals, everyone from former TFA-ers on the instructional design side to Stanford professors on the leadership team.

In terms of cultural environment, the people are awesome! There are monthly org-wide social events, and regular informal opportunities to get to know your colleagues outside of work.

Cons

Like most startups, we are pulled in many different directions by our funders, partners, and clients. Recently, we have become better (and smarter) about taking on new initiatives.

"NovoEd has an amazing team! Looking for a great culture and fun challenging projects to work on? join us!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NovoEd full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NovoEd is focuses on bringing collaboration and social learning to online classes. The company is vastly mission-driven, has a very collaborative, energetic and positive culture. They have a diverse management team and a very diverse team.
    The team is very high quality, while humble. Everyone is there to help, mentor and work with each other to create a great learning experience.

Cons

It's a small team, a small startup, so lots of learning together! That is a pro for me, could be a con for many.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on culture, mission and quality of product as is.

"Building the future of business learning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NovoEd (More than a year)

Pros

It's inspiring to work with a team that's dedicated to a big idea, and that's what NovoEd is doing. We straddle both the higher ed and corporate learning spaces and we are trying to be part of a major change in the way learning content is accessed, delivered, and tracked by employers, learners, and institutions. There are a lot of challenges disrupting a massive but very stale business! But NovoEd's team really attacks these challenges with positive energy and there's a lot of intelligence and talent here.

Cons

We continue to look for the business model that will sustain us through many phases of growth - we have several great, early customers but how do we find more? And how do we develop product for this variety of use cases? This goes back to the first point, we have a few different lines of business that put pressure on our product development roadmap and as we grow, we'll need to make tough decisions.

Advice to Management

Focus! Creating a really strong vision of what the company is and what it can be in the future is a key need at NovoEd and critical to our future growth.

"Developing cutting-edge technology to solve the hardest problems in education!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at NovoEd full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Flexible work environment with a great culture
    - Great team with fantastic engineers and educators
    - Mission-driven organization; truly cares about students
    - Innovative technology around social learning and collaboration
    - Clear leader in a rapidly evolving/emerging space (online education)
    - Daily ping pong tournaments, complete with a trophy!
    - Best benefits of an early startup I've ever seen
    - Free meals, free classes, free gym membership, etc!

Cons

- Startup life can be challenging, but even so, this is the best startup I've seen!
    - Relatively small team, so limited number of potential mentors

6. "Great Culture, Impactful Work"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern

I worked at NovoEd as an intern

Pros

As an intern, I got a lot of meaningful and impactful projects that I could choose from with the team. Lots of independence, and also support when you need it. Small enough that I could learn a lot about the EdTech and startup world and know everyone in the company. Friendly work culture, understanding people, good work-life balance.

Cons

As a fast-moving startup, deadlines can be important. Weren't unreasonable, but something to be aware of at any startup I feel.

"A start-up on the rise"

I have been working at NovoEd full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team, great benefits, great projects, great location, and working here feels like being on the right side of progress in the EdTech world.

Cons

Wearing many hats, but that's the start-up life I guess. For some, it may be tough to handle the large responsibilities and autonomy you receive without ongoing guidance.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek out great business opportunities and ensure your employees stay connected as a team as the staff continues to grow in size.

8. "Great culture, great team"

Pros

I enjoy the mission, the passion, and the culture of the team. The team is very collaborative and enjoys solving challenges together. The company also takes great care of its employees. Educational technology is a very exciting industry to be in right now and I'm very excited for the new opportunities ahead.

Cons

Working at a startup can be challenging because of the long hours and the "all hands on deck" attitude. However this has its positives since it can provide opportunities to learn new skills or collaborate on new assignments.

Advice to Management

I strongly suggest we do employee performance reviews and manager effective evaluations. This would allow for greater transparency within the organization, which is needed.

"Great people, great product, great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at NovoEd full-time

Pros

+ I get to work with really smart, passionate, supportive coworkers. We have a fantastic culture.
    + We're solving an important problem - how to make online learning more engaging and effective - and growing really quickly. The company has doubled in size since I joined less than a year ago
    + Open to ideas from anyone in the company. It's really a place where you're only limited by your own initiative and ideas.
    + Flexible hours, unlimited vacation, free snacks and lunch in the office, downtown SF location, monthly fun events

Cons

- We're growing really quickly, so sometimes it feels like priorities change a lot.
    - Everyone wants to be helpful, but sometimes we pull in too many people into meetings or decisions that could be more streamlined. I think this will change as people's roles become clearer as we get bigger.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent around decisions and priorities.

"Super Cool EdTech Software Start-Up"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at NovoEd as a contractor

Pros

NovoEd has an awesome space one block off of market near Union Square. The team is comprised of a fun mix of seasoned entrepreneurs and smart enthusiastic innovators. Lunch is served 5 days/week, they have an unlimited time off policy, 100% paid employee health benefits, commuter benefits - it's an all around great place to be each day!

Cons

This in not really a con but being a start-up, employees wear many hats and must not only be ok with ambiguity but thrive in such an environment. NovoEd iterates quickly on ideals so you'll need to be the type to contribute 110% and be engaged to drive the mission to success!

Advice to Management

Keep bringing in the fun, engaging, passionate people that you've been hiring!