Novogradac & Company Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Novogradac & Company Managing Partner Michael J. Novogradac
Michael J. Novogradac

Pros
  • Great accounting firm where one can stay up-to-date on their audit and tax knowledge simultaneously (in 26 reviews)

• Fully stocked kitchen and weekly breakfast catered on Saturday, plus a special catered lunch once a month, if I remember correctly (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work nights and weekends consistently throughout the year - no "busy season" - (in 28 reviews)

• No work-life balance during busy seasons (in 10 reviews)

"Pretty Good Place"

Former Employee - Staff Accounting Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accounting Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Novogradac & Company (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people, in depth exposure to preparation of Audits and Tax Returns, great pay, as much overtime as you want

Cons

Not too many cons to report. If you don't want to work 60+ hours in tax season, you shouldn't be looking at public accounting.

"Good company"

I have been working at Novogradac & Company full-time

Pros

Flexible hours outside of busy season, a stocked kitchen, great Christmas party, and nice folks to work with.

Cons

Would appreciate cheaper health care costs for family and offer some paid maternity leave. Other than that, keep up the good work!

Advice to Management

Keep thinking ahead to potential issues for next tax season, don't wait to fix potential problems. Continue to work on improving recruiting.

"Very focused business is limiting"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Austin, TX

I worked at Novogradac & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Casual environment
    -Small office - you kind of know everyone
    -Stocked kitchen (with mostly snacks, frozen burritos, and sandwich materials - you can get by not bringing your lunch, but not healthily)
    -If you do well, you will get more responsibility within your team
    -You get paid hourly (read: overtime during busy season) through the senior level
    -Summer is slow (can be a con when you are scrambling for any work at all) so you can finish your 40 hours and be done.

Cons

Extremely focused on one business which limits a staff accountant's opportunities going forward. You are basically stuck in the industry if you can find another firm that does the same thing, or start over at another smaller firm. My ultimate advice to a college grad would be if you can get a job with a larger firm/Big 4, do it. There is no trying out other industries because they literally do not deal with anything else. Working here is convenient, but a bad move for your career in the long term if you are not 100% dedicated to LIHTC.

The office is also clique-y and there is clearly a "cool guys" group that does things outside of work but doesn't invite anyone else. People are initially nice, but there are clearly judgments.

Many of the managers do not seem to be professional enough to speak with clients, so it sometimes becomes embarrassing listening to conversations between clients and managers.

Lunches/dinner brought in during busy season at other firms are almost every day, where here it is twice a week lunch only.

They do not pay for a CPA review course and the bonus for completion of the CPA exam is paltry. Pay in general is much lower than the Big 4.

Advice to Management

The high quality college grads are getting picked off to other mid-range firms because of the low pay and poor benefits, leaving offices with mid-range talent. Recruit for better quality of student to get better teams.

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

The firm has a really nice laid-back, but busy, atmosphere. I never felt like I was micro-managed nor did I feel I was ever left on my own to complete projects. I never felt like I had to give an explanation to step outside and see the sun for a few minutes (you start to miss it during busy season). I felt like the firm (especially my manager) went above and beyond to let me know that hard work was appreciated and recognized.

I think I might have been the only vegetarian in the entire office, so the fact that they would almost always have a vegetarian option during firm-provided meals says something. It was really nice to have a fully stocked kitchen, especially during busy season when time is short.

Everyone with whom I interacted was competent and knowledgeable, and if someone could not answer a question they could usually tell you who could. The performance feedback was spot on; I had two evaluations in the two months I was there.

Cons

I would encourage prospective interns to ask what percentage of interns received offers the past couple years. It seems to have definitely trended down. Many public accounting firms only hire from their pool of interns. Some people will just have one shot to intern. So if your main goal is landing a job where you intern, you could be out of luck if Novogradac is just not hiring, and you might not have the chance to intern somewhere else.

As others have mentioned, it is a niche industry. But for those considering an internship, I would not let that discourage you because the things you will learn in two months are pretty universal (I just took the CPA AUD section and the internship definitely helped.) It might be more of a factor for someone considering long term employment.

I feel a great deal of my positive experience is due to my team placement. Other interns may not have had as good as an experience based on their team, but that is probably true anywhere you go.

Advice to Management

Continue to improve the training for interns. It seems like the training process is still being tweaked, which is a positive sign. Training is one of the most important considerations for potential interns considering an internship here.

"What a fantastic internship!"

Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

There was always so much food being served during busy season - they take such great care of their employees' health.

Cons

A performance review was given at the end of the internship, and my feedback was good, but I would have liked more during the internship.

"Hard working, but fun."

Former Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

Pros

Casual work atmosphere. Great fun, enthusiastic, smart co-workers. The fully stocked kitchen during busy season is excellent! They don't pay as much as bigger companies, but it's worth a little pay cut to be around such nice folks. Unlike most other internships, you'll get to do both tax and audit work, which is awesome as most students haven't really figured out which they want to do yet.

Cons

Niche company focus on real estate and related credits makes me a little afraid to invest a lot of time there. You'll only do partnership tax returns, for example.

"Novogradac and Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great pay, amazing employees, generous time off, hires and promotes from within.

Cons

Busy during busy season, but overtime and bonuses make it well worth the work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"great place to start a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Much to learn-great exposure to tax and audit. Many diverse clients to experience. Great management. Great break room with lots of food.

Cons

Work to life balance is unrealistic. Balance of work among teams is uneven. tedius work and limited benefits limit competition

Advice to Management

work smarter not harder. get to know y our employees better...demonstrate u care about the people who work for you.

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great kitchen, friendly atmosphere, casual environment and dress code.

Cons

hard work during busy season

Advice to Management

be more discriminating on taking on new clients

"great place to work"

Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Austin, TX

Pros

flexibility, career opportunities, opportunity for challenge

Cons

long hours required during busy season

Advice to Management

provide continuous and consistent feedback