NuOrbit Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A good fit for people that love digital"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at NuOrbit Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

What I enjoy about working here is that a group of talented individuals can bring all of their talents together to create truly great digital solutions which could not be pulled off by one individual alone. Some of the other positives are:
    + There is a high standard here as the client demand it, management demands it and the team demands it. Mediocre work is not accepted.
    + Getting to work in an environment where you can bring your creative ideas to be heard and implemented.
    + Like having the potential and ability to guide or direct how projects and solutions will and can be implemented and delivered.
    + Getting work on a wide variety of projects each with their own unique clients and goals.
    + We do not produce cookie cutter solutions, each project is looked at as an individual project here. We try to make each project the best product/project possible; not how can we fit this project into what we already know or have done before.
    + Enjoy getting to work directly with clients and try to deliver solutions that will delight them.
    + Get to work with and explorer new technologies.
    + Getting work with other talent individuals and learn from them.

Cons

- Working with that latest technologies can be demanding and frustrating at times.
    - Sometimes work load is not evenly distributed. The better and more senior employees tend to carry the load.
    - Sometimes client deadlines and conflicting project timings and can be challenging, which can lead to extra hours.

Advice to Management

Try to improve on hiring process and get right type of people that will fit and believe in the high standard of creativity and quality that the company and team tries to up hold. People with lower standards or are really just looking for a simple job will most likely not work out. Need to find people with a real passion for digital and want to put the effort into making projects and solutions great.

Implement better onboarding and training to help new employees get up to speed and integrate better. Maybe add training plans; I know everyone can get training and materials as needed, but maybe having true training plans could help guide newer employees in the right direction.

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Lead Interactive Designer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Lead Interactive Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big clients although you are not going to create anything big or interesting here.

The pay is not bad but is not worthy for the slave you will become here.

Cons

I have worked in many countries and companies and this is definitely the worst job example I have ever seen in my life. The owners doesn't know how to be leaders so they mistreat their employees.

You will overwork for hours all days but please don't arrive 5 minutes late or get sick or you will get scolded really bad.

The worst phrase example I've ever heard was here: " Please don't ask questions, figure it out yourself ". They don't want you to interact at all with the other employees neither they want to Ave anything to do with you. The environment is the worst. The old employees are mean and backwards.

They won't care about your health, time or development. I got depressed by working here. Don't ever work here. Save yourself from the worst professional experience you will ever have.

Advice to Management

Pointless, they have read this many times. They need to start doing what they know they need to do.

3. "Cool Projects, Terrible People."

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-This company will teach you everything you don't want in a company. For that I thank them, I learned what a good company was by the exact opposite of everything they did.

Cons

-if I could give 0 stars I would.

-Other reviews say you have to work some overtime but the truth is you have to work overtime everyday. 10-12 hrs a day. Senior employees are mean (even when you are new and don't know what you are doing) they'll say things like "I don't have time to do my job and yours" if you ask questions.

-This place made me feel very negatively about myself and never even gave me a chance to learn before berating me.

-IF you look at the positive reviews on here it's only from the higher up employees that have an in with management, those are the same ones that will berate you and be rude to you when you start.

-Don't expect a life outside of this job.

- the company is small...maybe 12-15 employee's. IN the 6 months or so I worked there I saw about half that many come and go.

-This company is interested in results, not employees. They will hire you, work you to exhaustion then replace you with fresh meat.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee's like people not tools. Give them a chance to grow and prove themselves. Allow them a life outside of work. Be very thankful your big clients don't know how you treat people or they would find a new agency.

4. "Like Fast-Pace and Challenging Work and Projects"

Current Employee - Developer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Developer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at NuOrbit Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work with latest technologies and on interesting projects. This is a consulting agency so projects have a wide variety, so one week you could be working on a web site and next week you could be working on an App. Having the ability to influence projects and the technologies that are used is a big positive. The ability to bring your creative ideas to end solutions and have your opinion heard it also welcomed. There are good benefits and along with nice office work environment / office space. There is always the opportunity to learn and improve you skill set as well.

Cons

We work with some high profile and large clients that are demanding and like to get well developed solutions that meet their needs and requirements. So you have to be able to work under this pressure; be flexible and not let their changes and opinions get to you. However, most clients can be very kind as well and provide positive feedback and a well-deserved thank you if they know you have gone above and beyond.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to move to away from clients that a very negative/thankless and cause projects to be unnecessarily negative or stressful. I know this has been something that has been worked on and I’m sure it is easier said than done.

"Great place to start your career"

Former Employee - Web Designer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Web Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This was my first job out of college and I learned much while I was there. After my first year out of school I got with some of my old college friends and they had not learned a fraction of what I had learned in my first year out of school.

- Got to work on and with high profile clients and interesting projects
    - Got to bring creative ideas; even as newbie I was able to voice my ideas
    - Worked on projects that required me to learn new technology and push myself to be better
    - Mediocre work is not accepted by management or the team; management would let me spend more time on a task to get them right. When I went to project managers or management with a better solution and explained how and why I could improve something they would always be onboard. It was never just get it out the door without
    - Was supported to learn an incredible account while I was there
    - Good benefits for a small company I’m not sure many small or medium size companies offer the health and 401K plan that are offered.
    - If I ever had a personal problem or issues; management always listened and was flexible to my needs

Cons

- There is a high standard which might be hard to reach for people that do not like working in interactive/digital or do not want to push themselves to be the best.
    - A truly fast pace environment; it is a consultant agency, so we were brought in as experts and this might not be the right place for someone just looking for a simple non-demanding job.
    - Sometimes there was extra hours that needed to be put in if there was a client deadline need to be met and we were behind
    - Not all team members were dedicated to the high standard that I wanted to obtain. So all times I was would be left to make up for their slack or finish their tasks

Advice to Management

I’m not sure how things have changed since my departure. But if I could give any advice maybe having better training or required training plans might help employees that are under qualified or their skills are not at a high level. However, with this said anytime I asked for training or a book it was provided.

Try to get as many employees that want to work at a high standard and are on the same page quality wise. Otherwise the good employees will need to pick up their slack.

"Exceptional benefits for a small company"

Pros

I have worked for NuOrbit Media for a number of years. Yes, there are times when extra hours are needed to meet deadlines and to get the job done but there is also the freedom to manage your own time. Everyone is treated as a professional salaried individual where their opinion and input are valued. Knowledge and ideas are shared and everyone has the opportunity to learn from each other.

They offer a 401K after just one year of employment with a match of 4% of salary which is vested immediately. They also offer an excellent health care plan with the employee’s total premium and one half of the family premium is paid for by the company.

I have never seen anyone treated with anything except respect.

Cons

"Great place to work. A company who truly cares and supports their employees"

Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Interactive Designer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You will get the opportunity to learn and develop your talents working on a wide diversity of projects. Management goes out of their way to support employees giving opportunities to expand knowledge, contribute and grow by trying new things . Great team environment you feel like everyone has your back. The owners and management do truly care about their employees.

Cons

The nature of the interactive design is you will have to put in extra time on some projects. The management always shows their appreciation and your efforts will not be overlooked. Management is always working along side you anytime a deadline must be meet.

"Run the other way..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Other friendly employees (not management)

Cons

-Location: According to Indy Police the center of the highest crime zone is at Meridian and 38th and branches out... right where NuOrbit is... perhaps that's a nice coincidence.
    -Management: Read all of the negative reviews below, they are unfortunately very accurate. Though they try to come off as some new age digital company, their expectations are that of dictators and not of managers. Think of the worst person you know and you haven't even scratched the surface of the two owners.
    -Personal Growth: There was no opportunity to showcase my skills and I was fortunate to leave on my own after a very short stay at the company. I couldn't believe that I went to school to be treated like this. I learned a lot about what I do and don't want in life... this company really makes you reevaluate your place on this earth. Trust me, "finding yourself" isn't worth the emotional/mental stress you'll go through... backpack through Europe instead.
    -Work-life balance: Non-existent. They will ask in your interview what you like to do outside of work, don't bother answering because it doesn't matter. I have always been very involved in the Indy community and I had to slowly start giving things up because it was completely unacceptable to management that I have a life outside of the prison they have built.
    -Overall Environment: Toxic. The one positive review on here is from an employee that has an "in" with management (or may even be management), however most of you won't make it to the "in" crowd in time. It's truly a time game - how long can you last? How much abuse can you take? What is your breaking point?

Just be cautious. The other reviews are right and by the number of complaints on this site, it shows that there are some serious issues at NuOrbit. I left on my own accord, thank goodness... but I have no doubt that "off with his head!" was inevitable from the red queen.

"Willing to Sell Your Soul?"

Former Employee - Web Site/Graphics Designer in Seymour, IN
    Former Employee - Web Site/Graphics Designer in Seymour, IN

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You will eventually be let go so that you can go find a job with a company that actually values you. Otherwise the only good thing I can remember about working here was going out to lunch with my coworkers so we could blow off steam about the crappy owners.

Cons

There are so many...they are condescending, extremely critical, discouraging, unsupportive. They do not respect your life outside of work, consistently expecting you to work 3 hours or more overtime every single day. If they offer you a salary, go ahead and divide it by half to figure out your hourly worth, because you will be putting in 60 hours or more a week. If you have children, they will find a way to get rid of you, as having a child or any attachments takes time away that you could be working for them. If you are a female, don't bother applying. They will criticize you, put you down, and continually make you feel as if no matter how hard you try, you are not good enough. I was young and it was my first real design job, and that experience almost made me consider a different line of work! Thankfully my next job (and those since) have been 100x better and I have never ever been made to feel the way NuOrbit made me feel.

Advice to Management

Close your business and stop perpetuating your negative, dismal, hateful work environment. No one deserves that.

"Terrible Working Experience"

I worked at NuOrbit Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part is that I'm no longer there and I got my life back.

Cons

While I was fortunate enough to leave the company under my own terms, many others were not so fortunate. Every time a new employee was hired I would begin placing mental bets on how long they'd last. Usually they would be fired within a matter of weeks. For those of us that somehow managed to keep up with the demands, the hours were long and praise for your work happened about as frequently as the second coming of Jesus. Basically it felt like working in a sweatshop.

Advice to Management

If you continue to go through employees like water, you're eventually going to run out of people who will be willing to work for you.