Cover image for NuOrder

70 Comments

Tech

467.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=NuOrder~731339
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "workers are also equally great people.(in 9 reviews)
  • "Good benefits and other perks(in 9 reviews)
  • "The team is amazing.(in 6 reviews)
  • "We have a fantastic office manager who is dedicated to making sure everyone is happy and the kitchen is always full of snacks.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

One of the best places i have worked for

Jun 7, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

everything is awesome here in this company

Cons

I have no cons for this company. There are small things in every place, but this is all fixable.

People Operations

So thankful for such positive feedback and glad to hear you're having such an awesome experience at NuORDER! We anticipate we'll only get bigger and better now given our recent acquisition by Lightspeed. Thanks for your help in getting us to this exciting point in the company's history!

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Avoid at all costs

Dec 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fashion and tech are exciting industries.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance. The CEOs are a nightmare. They should not be running a company.

3. Join the NuOrder team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Stay away

Oct 25, 2022 - Data Integration Engineer in Century City, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They had an office in a nice city... and pretty nice amenities.

Cons

Overworked, competitive co-workers that attempt to lead your work astray, no feedback to if you're doing a good job or not until they let you go.

5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

One of the most bizarre startups to work

Aug 9, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Medical benefits after Lightspeed acquisition.

Cons

Another worst start up to work for - both in terms of tech and culture. READ THIS BEFORE SIGNING THE OFFER. I regret I didn’t read the other Glassdoor reviews before joining. The positive reviews are of course fabricated by management and is very true. Lack of Culture - This company seriously has issues in terms of culture. Management is pushy, that you will be verbally abused in public slack channels if you don’t meet deadlines. I have reported multiple incidents in terms of unprofessional communication but HR didn’t care about this. Also note that this has never changed even after LightSpeed took over, which is about a year ago. Engineering responsibilities & ownership: The bar set for engineers is very low. This results in forcing them into junior level responsibilities such as just developing and pushing in code submissions. The lack of diverse product platform only forces engineers to their boredom, finally make them to leave the company. Management is so naive that they often mistake these employees as underperforming employees - its just they don’t like to be here. Product Team: A very immature process model here that tickets are assigned to individuals prior to the sprint and they chase engineers to get it done.  The non-technical nature of them plus the inability of the tech leads to demonstrate architectural challenges kills product quality. One must look at the awkward list of live bugs in production after each release. And use better UX tools such as figma please! Tech Leads clearly needs more tech expertise: There are innumerable design flaws in the application that puts scalability in question. This eventually results in obfuscation with the architecture and live bugs in production. Swarms and swarms of uncommented code, lack of design patterns, poor delegation of tasks, lack of an effective CI/CD setup clearly explains that the company should train their tech leads/architects better. Did I mention that one of them argued with me over running audit scripts since it is assumed that all public npm libraries are secure? Lack of cutting edge tools:  Should someone introduce them to tools such as telepresence to swap out k8s services that simplifies dev environments instead of spinning the whole list of services locally? There are bizarre environment setups that needs rework, and still some teams actively use it. Apart from the primary technologies, all other tools are outdated here for a startup. Unlimited PTO is a hoax- My additional two weeks of parental leave was not approved though it was UNPAID. It was because there were deliverables need to be met. Talent Retainment - The company constantly hires because employees constantly leave. Management should clearly learn how to identify and utilize the potential in employees - this means finding the right skill set and assign to the right product area. My supervisor is an awesome leader who provides plenty of flexibility, unfortunately that alone is not sufficient to grow here. As an engineer who came from an enterprise SAAS company with a mix of full stack and devops, I find this place has no room for growth - neither in terms of tech or leadership. If you are code monkey who likes playground codebases and don't care about design principles, this may be a suitable place for you.

4 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0

QA Engineer

Jan 3, 2022 - QA Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. Work loads were acceptable. Work life balance was achievable. People were smart and hard working. Good learning curve.

Cons

The office space was crowded and had no window. Very dynamic working environment that required changing of focus frequently and being on tops of all sorts of changes.

7. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Likely one of the worst tech companies in LA to work for

Nov 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, when you can take advantage of them, are not bad. There is unlimited PTO (if you are approved to take days off), stipend towards health care, 4% 401k matching.

Cons

When someone is fired a manager communicates this to their team. I resigned with 2 weeks notice. My 2nd to last day I said goodbye to 22 people on a zoom call and found out that the members of my immediate team had no idea I was leaving. If you're reading - what does that say to you? How much would you say I was valued? Being that there is little sense of camaraderie and at least half of the department is outsourced in other countries and time zones, this probably meant little to most people on that zoom. The company was almost 1/5th the size when I started. I experienced all the growing pains. The worst thing to happen to NuORDER is that they constantly win accounts. They burn out their employees and it keeps working for them. The last straw for me personally was that I requested time off to start after a big deadline that took weekends and overtime to complete - and spent half a day speaking to different members of leadership begging for this. I was told others would need to "step up" while I was out and that I needed to come up with a coverage plan. I had also requested Christmas through NYE off - when everyone is out, and this was not approved. I have watched NuORDER lose talent that they don't provide a good environment for. There is no project or program management, leaving scrum responsibilities on the shoulders of engineers who have no formal training on scrum. The company is not agile. The releases are in big, slow chunks and there is a lot of shame associated with live bugs due to their customer-obsessed nature. Processes are very informal and there are a lot of technical impediments preventing engineers from being able to simply code or test. Leadership will claim teams are autonomous but micromanage them and tell them exactly how to work and this then gets documented in a tedious way by each squad. I had not had a 1:1 for a month before I resigned. A member of lead ship had made outrageous requests of the team that myself and other vocalized concern about in heated conversations. Apparently that was escalated but nothing changed - that I know of. NuO is not transparent about anything. There is a lot of negativity. In office I witnessed shouting matches between leadership during some tough times, later instances of negativity came in the form of leadership picking apart a team's hard work to product managers who can only agree and add last-minute work to their already tired teams. There is a blame culture even if leadership vocalizes that there isn't. Some members of management create a sort of competition between how effectively one squad is preforming versus another but generally I don't think they have faith in any of the squads. I made HR complaints 3 different times. It made my remaining time there really awkward and there was never resolution. I requested an exit interview but never got one scheduled. I did have a very long conversation with a member of leadership on my last day and I think they genuinely understood and listened but didn't have the power to make a lot of meaningful change. I actually made a final HR complaint about a member of the executive team - a member who hadn't made eye contact with me since I switched from their department. The funny thing about NuORDER is that it's almost impossible to get hired. A lot of talent comes through and NuORDER is not competitive enough to hire them and they are very picky even then. I had one referral make it in around the same time I started, after that, I doubt my referrals were so much as looked at. I would never recommend anyone work there today. Here is a list of cons for those who want a sort of TLDR: No work/life balance so many work late night and weekends. No HR - so no one on your side. Customer-obsessed, leading to constant tight customer commit deadlines. Low salary, especially for tech, and inconsistent review periods. Bad work culture - it is not fun and no one bonds. Bad Management who care more about the product than the people. Lack of diversity with almost all male leadership. Low number of women or people of color in engineering. Non-transparency about everything, many have no idea what is going on. Toxic Work environment. Poor equity. Lightspeed is very hands-off so don't expect anything from that side of the equation. Last thing - this glassdoor review is definitely going to result in a tantrum at NuO. Every bad glassdoor review results in a frenzy and if I were a current employee there would be consequences to this. I am very sure it may be removed but if that happens I will post again. It's my perspective and a lot of reviews I see here seem like positive reviews written by leadership. I don't consider them to be helpful to those who seek employment here.

19 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Small company trying to grow

Jun 9, 2021 - Brand Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and good bonuses

Cons

Not very structured, had to set of layoffs during the last year. I had three different supervisors in a year, which made it very unstable for our team.

2 people found this review helpful

People Operations

Thanks for your feedback! We are glad to hear you felt you were well compensated during your time at NuORDER. With our recent acquisition by Lightspeed, we look forward to having more resources and support to provide a more structured environment for all employees. The obstacles presented by COVID-19 were challenging and we thank you for persevering during your time with the company and we wish you the best!

9. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Growing startup to work for!

May 19, 2021 - Senior Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was part of NuOrder for a very short stint but my time there was full of learnings, working with great smart people from around the world, and seeing how startups work. I wanted to write this review especially because I had to leave the company due to personal circumstances but the support the upper management provided during my transition was incredible and I really appreciate it. They listened to me and helped me in the best possible way they could.

Cons

I would say maybe take some time to enjoy your success as well.

3 people found this review helpful

People Operations

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at NuO! We're glad you enjoyed your short time at the company and definitely wish you well. We absolutely agree on more team building events and appreciate your gaming suggestion! We look forward to creating more opportunities to celebrate and, as you said well, enjoy our success!

10. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great people in a company at the forefront of B2B digital transformation

May 14, 2021 - Customer Success
    Business Outlook

Pros

-The work is challenging and fulfilling -The product is mission-critical to our customers at the highest levels. This is not the case at all SaaS companies and it is a real benefit to have engaged customers. -Opportunity for career growth

Cons

It sounds cliche, but NuORDER is currently growing commercially and personnel-wise. That means things are not always perfect and it leaves some processes needing more structure. But that means that if you are ready to contribute your ideas, you have the potential to make a real impact.

People Operations

Great advice and we absolutely will! We are so happy to hear you're enjoying your work in providing a crucial product to our clients. Engagement has been stellar and we know this is due to all the hard work you and your team have put forth. Thank you for sharing your ideas and we're excited to see you grow with us!

11. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Work experience in NuOrder

Apr 19, 2021 - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. My manager and teammates are really nice. They are willing to instruct me and give me many opportunities to practice and learn. 2. We have floating holiday policy, which is really nice

Cons

Maybe we can support lunch or Meal supplement after back to office.

People Operations

We're so glad to hear you're enjoying working with your manager and colleagues and have felt supported while working at NuORDER! It was very exciting to introduce Floating Holidays this year to allow our employees to choose religious, heritage, cultural celebrations or memorials significant to them or that they'd like to learn more about by taking paid time off. We offered many free lunches, happy hours, and daily snacks when we were in office and definitely plan to have this continue once we return safely to our offices. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 85 Reviews
</>Embed

NuOrder Reviews FAQs

NuOrder has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 88 reviews left anonymously by employees. 68% of employees would recommend working at NuOrder to a friend and 62% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, NuOrder employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at NuOrder. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

68% of NuOrder employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated NuOrder 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.6 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at NuOrder to be career development, benefits, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with NuOrder Job Seekers