NuSil Technology Reviews in Carpinteria, CA | Glassdoor

2.3
NuSil Technology CEO Michael Stubblefield
Michael Stubblefield

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to gain a breadth of experience and work with multiple departments (in 5 reviews)

• Good people and some good new progress toward setting a vision and working to get there (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Wages are below the industry standard and they have a poor training program (in 6 reviews)

• Upper Management is very far removed from what is actually going on (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fast paced Research environment with opportunity to rapidly learn valuable skills."

Current Employee - Chemist in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Chemist in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High degree of responsibility even for entry level chemists.

Cons

Poor compensation, high turnover.

"NuSil Technology Salary"

Current Intern - Process Engineer in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

The company makes some cool products.

Cons

Upper Management is very far removed from what is actually going on.

"Terrible Place"

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time

Pros

The people you work with are awesome. Most people are quite friendly with the same goals in mind.
    Flexible schedules

Cons

Management or in some cases lack of
    Pay
    Poor communication
    Lack of appreciation
    Decreasing company morale
    Shaddy upper management and suspicious hiring of "consultants"

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your supervisors. Some hardly work and hardly put in a few hours a day on a regular basis.

"Can I please get those 7 years back?"

Former Employee - QA/R&D Tech in Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - QA/R&D Tech in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1) Some nice people w/ a sense of humor.
    2) Nice location w/ proximity to the beach.
    3) Fantastic product.

Cons

1) Horrible management style driven by cronyism, backstabbing & favoritism. Could only be described as a combination of Lord of the Flies, the Catholic Church under the Spanish Inquisition, elements of a prison gang, elements of the 3rd Reich, mainly the Gestapo & elements of the former Soviet Union under the rule of Josef Stalin.

2) Good ideas are either ignored or dismissed unless made by favored people. In some cases implementing good ideas can get you demoted. Creativity is stifled & in some cases even ridiculed or punished.

3) Lowest paying wages for the type of work done. I was even told once by 1 of the HR people that I should consider getting a 2nd job because I couldn't afford the insurance provided.

4) Promotions are a function of backstabbing, simply a function of how many people you can throw under the bus & once promoted your survival depends on how poorly you treat people. Also, when you do get promoted, there's always somebody bucking for your job, so you become vulnerable to the same tactics.

5) Safety is used as a tool to punish & demote "unfavorable" people.

6) The company trusts NOBODY, unless you're on the "favored status" list. There's no employee outside internet access simply out of mistrust of the workforce by management. We even had a department manager launch a huge investigation into a missing tool which involved the searching of employee's personal vehicles. Turns out the tool in question wasn't missing, it was in the maintenance locker.

7) A permeating "Big Brother" attitude all the time, like you're constantly being watched.

8) Disciplinary write ups are given for the most petty things. I once witnessed a coworker get written up for (get ready for this!) "dancing on the job" in the QA lab.

9) There's something to be said about a place of employment that prohibits the wearing of sport team apparel, must be something to do w/ gangs or something like that.

10) Revolving door syndrome, good people come in, but don't last for long. We even had a unit of time named after an individual who started work & 37 minutes & 42 seconds later clocked out & quit.

Advice to Management

There's NOTHING that can be said to management because they know it all. Their model seems to be working, albeit inefficiently, but @ the price of a good employee base. If I were to say anything it would be in the following fashion:

1) TRUST YOUR EMPLOYEES!
    2) PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES A BIT MORE!
    3) CHANGE YOUR PROMOTION PRACTICES!
    4) ACCEPT GOOD IDEAS!
    5) KEEP GOOD EMPLOYEES, FIRE THE BAD EMPLOYEES!

Just some concepts to think about, but I, as well as many others, simply know that change & NuSil do NOT go hand in hand w/ each other.

"Longtime Employees are not valued"

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time

Pros

The people are great. Very collaborative (at least at mid-level and lower).

Lots of improvement efforts. The company is striving to be better in many areas.

Some departments are well-managed and engender loyalty. As with any job, your specific department or superior will make a huge difference in your job satisfaction. Morale is not even throughout the company. Some departments are high and others are very low.

Great opportunities and visibility in the company. Great place to gain a breadth of experience and work with multiple departments. Many training and advancement opportunities if you come in as entry level. However, this many be changing for operators because it's harder to advance without a degree now.

Easy to get hired elsewhere. Other companies like Nusil employees because we wear many hats and juggle or lead lots of projects and often work hard and work long hours. We have to see the big picture and be detail oriented to be successful here. We work with multiple departments and industries.

Cons

Growing company + People quitting + layoffs = current employees are taking on a lot of work.

The pay for current employees. It's discouraging to have impactful visible projects and constantly told of your importance to the company and you're promoted but you're paid so low, it's not hard to find any random new job and get a 20-40% salary bump. People who stay have equity or other reasons or they are looking. New hires get paid industry standard, but guess what, Nusil salary brackets are 20-40% below industry and you just came in at the top of the salary range and once you become a current employee, raises may be difficult and your work will be under extra scrutiny from multiple directions because you're getting paid more than others.

Lots of manual checks (room for error) and employees have to cover themselves to not get blamed. The "covering oneself" goes from the lowest to highest levels.

Disconnect between management and the employees.

Some departments have very low morale.

Advice to Management

Bring back the employee surveys. Actually use feedback from employees including from exit interviews.

Have more regard for the way Nusil did things. Not everything in 1.0 is bad. The way a competitor in the same industry does a certain thing is not always the best way. Nusil has succeeded for decades doing custom work and some of what we do are best practices for small custom products.

6. "Lack of structure dissapoints"

Current Intern - Process Engineer in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

• Flexibility and freedom in guiding project selection
    • Friendly work environment

Cons

• Lack of structured program can make it difficult to find meaningful/rewarding work
    • Pay is far below industry standard; housing/transportation stipend not offered in high CoL area

Advice to Management

More effort needs to be made to ensure interns have long-term, challenging projects to work on. Consideration of this should be made before the internship starts, not a month in.

"Okay company to work for"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time

Pros

Beautiful location, nice people, benefits are below average, good schedule, company will help a bit with education cost. Insurance if you're single it's relatively cheap (~$160 per month)

Cons

Old school mentality from VPs and Managers. Progressive thinking seldom taken under consideration. Raises range from 2-3% promotions 6-8%. Very limited room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Company should take better care of the workforce. Most employees are very unhappy, or don't care about what they do, which translates to possible poor quality. Overall employee morale is low.

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really nice, very knowledgeable people. Company is experience growth, and they are making changes to keep up and stay organized and competitive.

Cons

I'm a new employee. But I don't see many cons at this point.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in good, quality employees, and reward them accordingly.

"Dangling carrots, rotten practices, bait and switch"

Current Employee - Quality in Carpinteria, CA
    Current Employee - Quality in Carpinteria, CA

I have been working at NuSil Technology full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers, promising technology, interesting work

Cons

Management rewards or promotes slackers and keeps work-horses beaten down and under-paid. Promises to reward target and stretch goals (SMART Goals) for a years' worth of hard work, and then (just at review time) "normalizes" all ratings so that over achievers receive "Average" ratings and can be given minimum wage increases. This lowered moral is so low in some areas, that most employees doing exceptional work in the past are now "doing the minimum, just like they expect me to do as an average employee."
    A company that had once been a secure, solid place to start a career, is now a shell of what it once was. The loss of stability coupled with the low pay and bait-and-switch promises has left more than half the workforce searching for something better rather than supporting the company for whom they currently work.

Advice to Management

stop breaking promises, search out and pay/promote the work horses that are keeping things running, and follow through and support positive, employee-boosting programs.

"Strange practice"

Former Employee - R&D in Carpinteria, CA
    Former Employee - R&D in Carpinteria, CA

I worked at NuSil Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to begin an exciting career in silicones. Great hours that allow you to be home by 4:00, however many then have to go to a second job to offord a small apartment to live in.

Cons

I read a review from 2/13/16 and had to comment. They threatened to sue me as well when I left even though non-competes are clearly illegal in California. The most bizarre part is that nearly all leadership roles in the company are filled by people from direct competitors. This is a shady practice that I caution everyone about.

Advice to Management

Hypocrisy will never lead to prosperity. Treat employees well, even when they leave, as we are all just trying to excel in this life to raise our children right. Although this company was founded by a vendicitive motive, majority of humans are not out to do harm.