NuStar Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Brad Barron
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "a honest review of nustar energy"

Former Employee - Operator in Linden, NJ
    Former Employee - Operator in Linden, NJ

I worked at NuStar Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pay was there every week.

Cons

benefits got worse and more expensive. this company shames their employees into contributing to united way. you are frowned upon if you do not contribute or contribute a certain percentage. 3% is expected of everyone. the linden nj facility is a joke. its run by harassing and bullying management. over 10 employees who worked at this facility for over 25 years, prior to nustar owning it, have been forced out or fired for minimal reasons. age discrimination. management has gone as far as badmouthing and giving bad reviews for these former employees in a effort to keep them unemployed. these are the kinds of people that run nustar. the baltimore facility was just as bad. dont let the goody goody reviews fool you. this company is hardly worthy of accolades or a title a best company to work for.

Advice to Management

try treating your employees like human beings. they put their pants on the same way as you do every morning. you are no better than no one

2. "Uncomfortable & Unfair"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at NuStar Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- fun events and activities
    - volunteer work was motivating
    - early days were given, and were paid as full days

Cons

After working here, within 2 weeks, I knew something was strange and off about my department. I would try to be sociable with most of the people in the department, but many felt they were too good to approach me. Maybe because I was a contractor and they were full-time. Did not felt like I was part of the team. The whole title of being a "contractor" or "permanent employee" really gave people the right to act differently towards one another. On top of it, there was no proper training at all! People had more time talking than actually knew of an improving way to train their new employees. I understand that the employer wants to take care of their employees at all cause, but it has gone to the point, where people are being LAZY. My training experience was so bad that I thought I was doing good, because I had more work given to me. Within 3 months of working there, my manager started acting strange with me, started pulling up work that was done weeks ago, telling me that I was not consistent with it. I mean really? Work that was done weeks ago, was now being reviewed? How ridiculous is that?! Also, I find it unusual how my district manager would only acknowledge some of her employees, and everyone else was just there just because. I have always thought that how things are affected, starts from the top. If there is a sign of favoritism, then where is the unity in the team?. So that means that as long as you get along with the upper management, then you don't have to work too hard. UNACCEPTABLE. I can not believe for a corporate company, this was happening. I guess my expectation was too high for Nustar Energy.

Advice to Management

Communicate better with your employees. Encourage and motivate them to do better. Be upfront and honest about all situation.

"Terrible company, probably won't be around in a few years since upper mgmt is clueless."

Former Employee - Decline in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Decline in San Antonio, TX

I worked at NuStar Energy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great location, nice new building, decent healthcare coverage

Cons

Current CEO (a lawyer) is terrible - does not understand the midstream business. Same goes with the Chairman of the Board of Directors (an accountant). Both have let the company sink (nose dive) for the past couple of years. Chairman NEVER stepped in to try and save the company from losing so much money in the past few years. The higher up mgmt (and board of directors) seem to only care about their paycheck, 401K and pension. They purchased businesses, had to turn around and sell since they lost a ton of money. They aren't willing to put money in where needed to make the business succeed. Mgmt won't get rid of crazy older employee(s) that really mess up. Too much nepotism going on (either with family or friends). These people are a big part of the problem since most aren't qualified. The new CEO (another lawyer) coming in, is arrogant. They changed the pension plan -- every one that's been there for a while and is older will take a HUGE hit to their pension. Kind of makes you wonder why the current CEO is retiring by year end. The company has been proud that they've never laid off -- WELL, they need to get rid of a lot of incompetent employees to turn the company around and be successful.

Advice to Management

Spend the money where needed, get rid of dead weight, make sure everyone works together and is on the same page. Fill upper mgmt positions with people who actually have midstream or oil and gas experience.

"Worst Work Experience"

Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Decline to State in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at NuStar Energy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company really knows how to market the image it wants the outside world to see, even to the extent of strong-arming employees into “donating” time and money to the company’s preferred charities.

Cons

Check your moral standards at the door before you go to work for this company. Multiple employee lawsuits against it. Significant penalties incurred for workplace violations. Don’t get too excited over the “excellence” of their benefit package – odds are good you will never get to realize those benefits. Model employees have been fired for no good reason despite excellent performance reviews. Go figure. This is your typical oil company through and through, nothing more.

Advice to Management

Try hirin some quality people of good character to manage this company at all levels.

"Not a good place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Nustar Energy's benefits are some of the best in the industry and their retirement plan is very good as well.

Cons

1. I did not receive a performance evaluation in the entire time I have worked at Nustar Energy. When other people in my department received stock options I did not as I have not had a performance evaluation. I asked my manager about this and he said that he 'forgot', but that he would do one next year.
    2. Work performed is not complimented or acknowledged.
    3. My manager steals credit for projects that I have excelled in performing.
    4. You are told to contribute at least 1% of your salary to United Way. The unspoken word is that if you don't you will not be promotod.

Advice to Management

Make sure that every employee has a timely performance evaluation at the company as that seems to be lacking. Try to cut down on the 'good old boy' culture.