NuVasive Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free snacks, and Thirsty Thursday's (in 14 reviews)

• Great company growing fast and good team (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challanging when working to hit deadlines for projects (in 20 reviews)

• Long hours with little value in personal time (in 13 reviews)

1. "Extremely Exciting Work"

Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

The pace is fast, and you are constantly challenged. The work is extremely exciting and there is a real impact to be made.

Cons

At times the work/life balance leans too far towards work, but I know what I signed up for and don't mind.

Oct 16, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for the feedback- we’re so glad you’re part of Team NUVA!

2. "Professional People and Company"

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in West Carrollton, OH
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in West Carrollton, OH

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Onboarding was very well organized. Especially liked the testimonies of recipients of Nuvasive implants. I also like Nuvasive's commitment to partner with Surgeon's and give care worldwide to those in need of spinal help who don't have the means. And the company is committed to grow responsibly.

Cons

I do not have any cons to share.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positives that are being promoted. Company growth. Patient safety and care. Shareholder commitment.

Aug 29, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate everything you do for NUVA!

"Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Fast growing company, full benefits, motivated and hard working team of employees, large company but still feels small, a lot of training and growth opportunities, and great coworkers.

Cons

High deducible on the health insurance, but they have Health Savings accounts to help.

Aug 9, 2017 – NuVasive

"Doing great things, however the focus is shifting"

Former Employee - Lead Network Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Network Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee base, all very enthusiastic about their work.
    At the end of the day, you feel like you are making the world a better place.

Cons

New C-level infrastructure has shifted the focus to Wall Street, instead of the patients.

5. "Great culture and company"

Former Intern - Engineer
    Former Intern - Engineer

I worked at NuVasive as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to be a part of, great cause and culture.

Cons

Completely dysfunctional HR team. They exist in career fairs, but there are no where to be found when needed by employees. You literally have to send 3-4 emails and follow ups for a routine thing. Honestly the only thing that I think will effect the momentum of how the company is growing.

Advice to Management

Great management but they really need to look at improving the HR team.

"Big Company Culture"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Aggressive product development strategy with plenty of work to go around. Good relationships between most marketing and development project teams. Direct interaction with clinicians during product development.

Cons

Little tolerance for difference in opinion from management. Long hours with little value in personal time. Collaboration is diminishing and credit taking is growing. Professional growth comes as a far second to the progression of management.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee concerns and address management issues. Don't allow poor departmental management decisions by under-experienced leaders. The company is now a big company with corporate bureaucracy stop trying to pretend its not.

"Dirty and dishonest. Will do anything to get ahead including endangering patients."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Work 60 to 70 hrs per week. You are held responsible for the failures of other departments. Culture is phony

Advice to Management

Find a conscience and stop treating people like cattle.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment, R&D and Marketing are closely integrated, development is close to the customer, the company makes a huge effort to promote a positive culture

Cons

Company culture can go too far sometimes - the positive and friendly culture seemed to have a way of manifesting into cliques for some groups. If you don't quite fit in, you will know.

Advice to Management

Continue improving. During my time at Nuvasive, I saw a lot of growth and effort to build a strong company culture. Don't let up on this.

As an engineer, I saw some room for improvement with respect to the leveraging the power of ideas from a group over just an individual. There seemed to be a lot of celebrating an individual's achievements in development - not a bad thing, but incentives may lead away from tapping the collective power of a group and ultimately better design solutions.

"Merciless Cult That Will Bleed You Dry"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for learning about spine and breaking into the medical device industry. Take everything you can get, then find a better job. Stay two to three years. While you are there, talk about how everything the company culture states has made you a better (fill in the blank).

Cons

Management will burden you with blame. A stapler was thrown at the software team when we met in private to ask that claims to shield us from unrealistic timelines be met. (By the way, the impact of the stapler against the white board left a noticeable gouge as evidence). When we reported the incident we were told "don't worry about it." No changes. One individual drank on the job. At a medical device company! People's lives depend on the accuracy of the software. I reported the incidents (plural) and was layed off. I presented pictures I had taken. Call me a snitch, but I don't tolerate that behavior at a medical device company. NuVasive has become a victim of its own culture. I am actually very disappointed.

Advice to Management

Management works well when you find the truth between desire and reality. Dictatorial demands backed by demeaning speeches negate your intent of motivation. At this point, too much damage has already been done. Too bad, because the philosophy of innovation that lead to an IPO has been supplanted by the proverbial baton. Management, "physician heal thyself".

"The job is interesting, but too much of the corporate crap. Too much of individual effort, no team work."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Technology is great. If you like medical device development, you'll have lots of interesting and challenging problems to solve.

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. Way too many hours. Lots of wasted effort.

Advice to Management

Don't try to make a team of stars. Rather create a solid team where everybody has a specific job, not do-it-all people.