NuVasive Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gym, free healthy snacks, great pricey food in the cafeteria (in 12 reviews)

• The technology and product developed here is industry-leading, with a sharp focus on improving patient outcomes and transforming spine surgery (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challanging when working to hit deadlines for projects (in 17 reviews)

• Due to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected (in 12 reviews)

1. "Great, but always room for improvement"

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people work here! We are encouraged to share our ideas, share our failures and learn from them, etc. As an engineer your head isn't in the computer all day and at times are required to be a project manager, marketer, innovator. Great teamwork across cross-functional groups. Constantly changing business - a con for some but I think it keeps it exciting. We get to work directly with surgeons and see the fruits of our labor in the field. Great place to learn. Great overall culture.

Cons

We're expected to work startup hours and do exceptional work on "average" pay, they're slowly taking away perks (cutting costs) - yes, we're noticing it.

Advice to Management

More women in leadership, more incentive programs since salary is average, don't have enough exposure to senior management

Aug 17, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for sharing your experience. We would love to discuss your feedback in person if you'd like to continue the conversation. Feel free to email us at people@nuvasive.com!

"Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Development Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Fast growing company, full benefits, motivated and hard working team of employees, large company but still feels small, a lot of training and growth opportunities, and great coworkers.

Cons

High deducible on the health insurance, but they have Health Savings accounts to help.

Aug 9, 2017 – NuVasive

"Not as bad as these reviews state...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with in IT. All very smart, capable people. The work is challenging and takes place in a fast paced environment. I can only speak in terms of IT as that is where I was, but management did seem committed to top notch systems, processes, governance, and people. I can't agree with other reviews bashing management. Were there some not-so-good managers? Yes. There are everyplace. But overall it was not a bad place. I left on good terms and one day may try to re-join.

Cons

Hated taking that Spine exam! Hated my commute as I am up North of Escondido and it was a nightmare some days. I resigned as a family member became seriously ill and I felt I needed to be closer to home.

Advice to Management

Turnover did seem to be a issue that needed to be addressed. Perhaps it is now. Otherwise, I enjoyed my short time there :-)

"Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

You are going to do and learn a lot. This company, while perhaps too fast paced for some, provides uncoupled opportunities to lead projects, stretch yourself, make an impact in the organization, and all the while doing it with great people.

You get out what you put in, which is quite gratifying. People are generally given free reign and not micromanaged.

The leadership cares about share owner engagement, while needing to balance being a fiscally responsible public company.

Cons

Change management could use more communication at the manager-direct report level

Advice to Management

More communication on the front end of change and during change.
    Proactively retain your start share owners.

Aug 8, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and give us feedback. We appreciate everything you do for NUVA! If you'd like to continue the conversation with us, please email... More

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lower and mid mgt is where the heart and soul of is of this company.

Cons

Senior leadership so far out of touch regarding the spine business. Also, could care less about the well being of employee's.

Advice to Management

Make changes to take better care of people and add more experiece to your key leadership positions. Don't surround yourself with yes men and women!

6. "Company on a Mission to Do Great Things"

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

incredibly ambitious, smart, entrepreneurial team working to develop and commercialize life-changing spinal products and services.

Cons

Expectations out-pace the market while compensation does not. Excessively frenetic. Speed is great, but oftentimes we conflate change with progress

Advice to Management

Love the vision, love the culture, great company to work for. Execution and internal alignment is an area for improvement.

Jul 28, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for the feedback- we’re so glad you’re part of Team NUVA! If you'd like to continue the conversation with a team member at NuVasive, please email people@nuvasive.com.

"Changing of the guards again..."

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly culture, good people, life changing products/services. CEO is bright & forward thinking. Everyone works hard & demographic is younger. ESPP, gym onsite, cafe on campus.

Cons

Poor work life balance, frivolous spending leads to budget cuts again & again, but only below the Executive level. Benefits have been changed for lower cost to the company, resulting in sub-par benefits for employees. Execs have the VIP benefits so they don't really care though. Still weeding through the old regime vs. the new regime drama...

Aug 8, 2017 – NuVasive

We appreciate the candid feedback about your experience at NuVasive. In an effort to continually improve our benefits and work environment, we would love to sit down with you over a cup of coffee... More

8. "Good job"

Pros

Really advanced work, great facility

Cons

I have no idea why some people were hired. Technicians were awful

"Love it Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People first, Great work environment

Cons

HR/TA both need help.

Advice to Management

Stop having single point failures.

Jul 10, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate everything you do for NUVA! Feel free to email us at people@nuvasive.com to chat more about the feedback you provided.

"Revengeful Management"

I worked at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Location was good. Snacks were good.

Cons

Make sure you do your research first...any company with annual turnover of 25% and above; there is a problem here. IT senior management all have personalities like Jekyll and Hyde. PMO is a absolute joke run by nut. HR all came from Thermo Fisher and are horrible. Many write reviews on here to try and keep the star rating from falling!