NuVasive Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Pros
  • Gym, free healthy snacks, great pricey food in the cafeteria (in 10 reviews)

• The technology and product developed here is industry-leading, with a sharp focus on improving patient outcomes and transforming spine surgery (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challanging when working to hit deadlines for projects (in 16 reviews)

• Due to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected (in 11 reviews)

1. "Disappointed with the new direction of the company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a company that made you feel valued and happy to work for. They got rid of company events with the exception of providing an onsite happy hour every couple months.

Cons

In the past year or so, they've outsourced many roles within the company to cut down on costs; recently laying off my whole department.

Advice to Management

If you're going to tell your Shareowners that you're either 'all in' or 'you're not', then you should allow them to be 'all in'; rather than laying off loyal Shareowners.

"Bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive (Less than a year)

Pros

free snacks, and Thirsty Thursday's

Cons

Bad management, silo environment, lots of finger pointing

Advice to Management

Better communication is needed, and accountability.

"Bad IT Department and HR Team"

I worked at NuVasive full-time

Pros

In my personal opinion there are not any pros other than the onsite cafe and some of the people who work there.

Cons

Inexperienced Desktop team including the manager. HR does not care about the Shareowners instead they try to force the fake culture down your throat. Not a good place to work unless you like kissing up to your peers and managers.

Advice to Management

Management and HR don't listen to Shareowner concerns or issues. There is no advice to give.

"Was Good, Not Anymore"

Former Employee - Technician, Desktop Support in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Technician, Desktop Support in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Culture was probably the best part about Nuvasive and most of the people are pretty awesome. I was in IT and it started good but got bad real quick. Next best thing was the Employee stock purchase Plan but that changed as well.

Cons

No room for growth, terrible management and poor compensation. I saw a Nuvasive review that said work hard, get rewarded. Yeah right, my whole team worked hard and only the people that did the least amount of work every got rewarded. It was just like high school, all about a popularity contest. Stay away. So much turn over at this company that it was alarming, HR never cared. And just to justify my review, I was not fired or let go, I left for a much better opportunity at a much smaller company. All of IT management was a joke!

Advice to Management

Reward the people that deserve and make more opportunities for people to advance their careers.

"IT Desktop/Infrastructure"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Great company overall, decent benefits. Work atmosphere and colleagues outside of current department were great. Positive vibes from everyone walking around the facilities. Cafe on site makes it very convenient.

Cons

I have been working "IT" for many years now and I have to say this department will probably be the "worst" department I every work for in my career. Very poorly managed over my course of employment. I have seen nothing but "favoritism" towards employees who are are close with others in higher positions. The department has had many employees leave, all stating the same things. I believe the toll is at 14 or more now...and that's in just the past 7 months... I have seen employees move up within this department after getting "demoted" in previous roles. It's almost as if they are running out of options for employees. You have been warned, if you are looking for a growing IT department that will move you "up" in your career then please do not come work at NuVasive. The current employees and management will just bring you down another level. It truly leaves me confused as to why they make decisions that don't benefit our department at all. Otherwise I would say the company "Nuvasive" is a great one, and they will continue to become the leader in spine.

Advice to Management

It's obvious everything you are doing IS NOT WORKING for this department. I have never seen anything like this at ANY company. Something needs to change..and it needs to change 5 MONTHS AGO!

"IT"

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young crowd. Decent pay for Infrastructure. NuVasive the company is great. Makes you feel like you are making a difference. Happy Hours on site.

Cons

This is not a knock on NuVasive the company. NuVasive the company is awesome and doing big things in their field. This is a review of the IT team and more specifically the infrastructure/Desktop Support Team. Since March there have been 13 people leave this team. Management plays favorites for all the wrong people. They choose friendships for people with zero experience over people who have worked hard and earned their certifications and who actually know what is going on.

The department is a mess. They recently hired a manager with zero experience and zero technical knowledge. It looks like they want people to leave so they can outsource. Coworkers in other departments will testify just how bad and inexperienced the department has gotten.

A few truly good people still left but they are also looking to jump ship. This once was a very strong department. No longer

Advice to Management

Make a conscious effort to truly invest in those who are already taking the time to invest in themselves. Only then will you be able to retain great employees.

"Big Company Culture"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Aggressive product development strategy with plenty of work to go around. Good relationships between most marketing and development project teams. Direct interaction with clinicians during product development.

Cons

Little tolerance for difference in opinion from management. Long hours with little value in personal time. Collaboration is diminishing and credit taking is growing. Professional growth comes as a far second to the progression of management.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee concerns and address management issues. Don't allow poor departmental management decisions by under-experienced leaders. The company is now a big company with corporate bureaucracy stop trying to pretend its not.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Business Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation and the people that worked for me. Company was very good to me and the team under old leadership.

Cons

Work life balance and lack of leadership and direction. Terribly self centered management with very little direction. What brought NuVasive to this point has been lost. It is not longer an all in atmosphere, but an"what's in it for me" type organization. Benefits and compensation are being worked down.

Advice to Management

Really look into performance of thee folks you promote in every angle. Many are not respected at all and are purely in it for self benefit. Non team players are rampant in middle to upper Mgt.

"Dirty and dishonest. Will do anything to get ahead including endangering patients."

Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Diego, CA

Pros

Pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Work 60 to 70 hrs per week. You are held responsible for the failures of other departments. Culture is phony

Advice to Management

Find a conscience and stop treating people like cattle.

"Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Interesting products/solutions...not much else. Pay is competitive, benefits are good.

Cons

Ridiculous and sometimes childish mentality of senior management and their cheetah nonsense. Watching the constant hiring and firing of key players. People quitting after a few months as they realize what a farce the company is starting with Alex Lukianov, Chief Liar. They claim that they hire "A" players, what they don't tell you is that they lose them all after a few months to better, more tenured companies. Waste of company funds on parties, lost/ stolen medical devices, hiring, etc. ( Alex can't keep an assistant to save his life!).

Advice to Management

Import some real leadership that knows what they're doing and get rid of the losers that are currently stunting the growth of the company.