NuVasive Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Gym, free healthy snacks, great pricey food in the cafeteria (in 12 reviews)

• The technology and product developed here is industry-leading, with a sharp focus on improving patient outcomes and transforming spine surgery (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challanging when working to hit deadlines for projects (in 16 reviews)

• Due to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected (in 12 reviews)

1. "Love it Here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People first, Great work environment

Cons

HR/TA both need help.

Advice to Management

Stop having single point failures.

Jul 10, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate everything you do for NUVA! Feel free to email us at people@nuvasive.com to chat more about the feedback you provided.

2. "Never a dull moment!"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

Working at NuVasive has been a hugely rewarding experience for me. I came from a much larger company, where bureaucracy slowed everything down to a crawl. NuVasive is incredibly agile, and empowers employees to make decisions, be curious, and engage in the culture. I'll admit, its fast, frenetic pace isn't for everyone. But if you can think on your feet, and enjoy a challenge, you'll thrive here.

Cons

One of our Core Values is "Absolute Responsiveness," and we live and breathe it here at NUVA -- which is a really good thing. However, I do think that sometimes, in our efforts to accommodate ever-changing priorities, we forget to take a step back and think about the big picture. Consider the down-stream effect of your decisions -- how does your work impact your partners? We need to start thinking more collaboratively in order to truly take ourselves to the next level.

Advice to Management

Change management is difficult here -- We change constantly, and it's very challenging to keep up with a continually moving targets. We're all up for the challenge, just help us understand the big picture, and the reason behind the changes.

Jul 5, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for the feedback, we would love to talk with you about how we can better address change management. Feel free to email us at people@nuvasive.com so we can chat. We’re so glad you’re part of... More

3. "You'll never be bored at this fascinating fast-moving company!"

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I find the experience of working at NuVasive to be very unique. The nature of the work is so interesting- it's rare to work for a company that has so many different components. We have a large field sales force, manufacturing, distribution, engineers, and neurophysiologists... all within the company! It's really interesting to learn about all of these different business units and how it all fits together to drive NuVasive's success. The people are also great- I've never worked with such a nice group of people before. And the company purpose of changing patient lives (for the better!!) is really inspiring. It's easy to get caught up in your daily tasks and stress, but when you stop and think about the impact that NuVasive has on relieving people from debilitating pain it's really motivating!

Cons

It's not necessarily a con, but NuVasive is a very fast-paced company and things can change without much notice. It's important that people be a good fit for handling this type of pace. The overall company priorities are very consistent, but NuVasive does pride itself on being quick to react, so sometimes your daily/weekly priorities may shift without much notice. I'm fine with that, but it takes a certain personality to find that fun vs. stressful.

Advice to Management

Remember to make it clear that you value your employees. Recognition goes a long way! NuVasive employees work really hard and give a lot of their time and energy to the company- little benefits and perks can help show them that their efforts aren't being overlooked. Shareholder value absolutely matters, but it isn't very engaging for your workforce when they feel like Shareholder value is being prioritized over their wellbeing.

Jul 5, 2017 – NuVasive

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We appreciate everything you do for NUVA, and want to make sure that all Shareowners feel similar recognition. If you’d like to grab a cup of... More

4. "Operations"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Company, you will work hard and be rewarded

Cons

Nothing noted at this time

Advice to Management

NA

Jul 5, 2017 – NuVasive

We’re so glad that you are having a great experience- thank you for making NUVA such a great place to work!

5. "AWESOME Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive (Less than a year)

Pros

- Global organization with tremendous growth potential.
    - Billion dollar start-up; very fast paced environment.
    - A lot of company sponsored wellness initiates (onsite gym, free healthy snacks, company wide exercise challenges).
    - You love coming to work because of the direct impact you have on life-changing innovation

Cons

As expected with any growing company, things change quite quickly around here so you have to be flexible to that change.

Jul 5, 2017 – NuVasive

"If you can find a way to work here, you SHOULD!"

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture here is incredible. Everybody says good morning to one another, is courteous and doesn't have a 'better than' attitude, regardless of status. This company is filled with brilliant people who are constantly striving to innovate and create solutions for pathologies in the spine industry.

Cons

The traffic to get here is rough, but if you wake up early, you can skip traffic by going to the onsite gym!

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome. Nobody makes you feel like you're less than here, and that's really incredible. I don't feel like a number here at all, and I feel as though I have genuine, and professional friendships with so many colleagues here. It's truly the best place I've ever had the honor to work.

"A growing company with lots of opportunities"

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Equal opportunities
    Care about team work and collaboration
    Rapid growth and expansions through acquisitions

Cons

Fast-path environment
    In some departments, there are some turnovers.

8. "SAP SD Functional Analyst"

Current Contractor - SAP SD Functional Analyst in Memphis, TN
    Current Contractor - SAP SD Functional Analyst in Memphis, TN

I have been working at NuVasive as a contractor

Pros

Good Company to work with

Cons

location is in very shady area

"Career-Changing Company Focused on Patient Outcomes"

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative company that has a bright future of rapid growth under new executive leadership. Love the team atmosphere and strong culture. The technology and product developed here is industry-leading, with a sharp focus on improving patient outcomes and transforming spine surgery. The company recently underwent salary adjustments to make it more competitive within the industry to attract top talent. They take care of their employees.

Cons

NuVasive is definitely a "work hard, play hard" workplace, with an emphasis on the "work hard" part. They're the best in the industry and expect the best from employees. I'm not a fan of the location and my commute to and from North Park. You have to compete with all the Qualcomm and Illumina traffic.

Advice to Management

Continue to professionalize processes, improve efficiencies, and streamline operations to help guide employees amid the company's rapid growth. Talk openly with employees about organizational changes and how their roles and responsibilities may be impacted.

"Wonderfully fulfilling intern experience!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

The work I did really felt important because of what the company stands for as a whole. Things are very team-oriented at NuVasive, which allowed me to develop my skills and learn from other members on my team.

NuVasive's corporate culture is absolutely top-notch. The company feels like a great big family with the main focus being the patients.

Being a cheetah was awesome and there are also plenty of opportunities to network with the other A-players in the company.

I could not recommend NuVasive any more for anyone looking to become a part of an excellent growing company that remains true to its values

Cons

I did not experience any negatives with the company. Reading other reviews, I would agree that the environment is very fast-paced, but one of the three principles of the company is "Absolute Responsiveness" after all. There have been a number of big changes lately, but the company as a whole is on the rise!

Advice to Management

As long as NuVasive proceeds on the path it's currently on; continues to practice its core values; and keeps shareholder happiness (and career opportunities), patient satisfaction, and an enriching culture as top priorities, the company will remain on the uptick as a major player in the medical device field.