NuVasive Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
NuVasive Chairman and Interim Chief Executive Officer Greg Lucier
Greg Lucier

Pros
  • Gym, free healthy snacks, great pricey food in the cafeteria (in 12 reviews)

• The technology and product developed here is industry-leading, with a sharp focus on improving patient outcomes and transforming spine surgery (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be challanging when working to hit deadlines for projects (in 16 reviews)

• Due to the fast growth of the company, there are times where working long hours are expected (in 11 reviews)

"Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Good benefits, gym onsite, good looking building with a cheetah out front, stocks the place like Costco because you never have time to leave for lunch.

Cons

Incompetent management, you become a slave to the company, salaried employees are expected to work 10-12 hour days at the office and to "log in" when you get home. Buy in to the corporate culture and attend corporate events on your day off or else!!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings instead of robots!!!! You have lost a lot of talented people due to the way you treat them and it's reflected in how low your stock price has dropped.

"don't do it"

Pros

not a good company to work for

Cons

unrealistic sales expectations for sales reps

"Just say no"

Current Employee - Developer in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Developer in Newark, NJ

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative, highly technical company, some good benefits if you work away from corporate, better benefits at corporate.

Cons

Overworked like I have never seen; small reward. Too hard to get anything accomplished due to management runaround. Overly strict corporate feeling, employees are not happy. Employment agreement includes taking a 75 question spine test that is a complete waste of company resources. Not a family oriented company.

Advice to Management

Management is not in touch with employees, they live in their own world. Some many things are not getting done because no one can make a decision.

"Definitely consider your other options."

I worked at NuVasive full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Place to get experience within the medical device field
    Company pays for medical benefits for you (not your family as before)
    Many company activities
    Stock options (25% given each year, vested after 4 years of service)
    Company wide bonus (if numbers are met, of course)

Cons

The culture - It's very cult-like; conform to our ways or leave
    No 401K match
    Company wide spine test - absolutely has nothing to do with your job but they will force you to take it. Prepare to be scolded heavily if you don't make a 90 or above, no exceptions
    No clear career path
    Prepare to suck up to surgeons if you are in sales. The customer (i.e. surgeon) is always right (even if they are wrong) and this company will do ANYTHING to keep their business.
    CEO - Will force his political views on you via a series of email rants and presentations at corporate events. It is completely unprofessional.
    There has been a lot of turn over with upper management lately. Not a good sign.

"Just terrible"

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at the Memphis office are nice
    Great opportunity if you just got out of college and need some experience. (Jump ship when you're ready and make more money b/c you won't make it there)

Cons

Under paid (they will try to pay you in RSU's that vest 5 years later)
    Over worked (80-90+) hours a week depending on which department you work in
    Management is terrible
    Promotion without salary increase
    Over promise and under deliver
    Constant litigation battles with competitors
    No direction
    Every year, a "perk" is removed
    Mandatory spine exam
    International offices and HQ barely communicate with each other which causes project delays
    Managers and directors who do not have direct reports (doesn't make sense)
    Upper management will speak to you as a friend, but talk behind your back
    Absolute mess

Advice to Management

Be the management you were 6 years ago. Cut the fat with these directors and managers that don't do anything or do not have direct reports. Find out actually what directors and managers do on a day to day basis. There are plenty of people still there just coasting under the radar. Try to actually keep your employees happy rather than making them work for less money. Lastly, stop trying to give out RSU's to keep employees. It's nonsense.

"Merciless Cult That Will Bleed You Dry"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great for learning about spine and breaking into the medical device industry. Take everything you can get, then find a better job. Stay two to three years. While you are there, talk about how everything the company culture states has made you a better (fill in the blank).

Cons

Management will burden you with blame. A stapler was thrown at the software team when we met in private to ask that claims to shield us from unrealistic timelines be met. (By the way, the impact of the stapler against the white board left a noticeable gouge as evidence). When we reported the incident we were told "don't worry about it." No changes. One individual drank on the job. At a medical device company! People's lives depend on the accuracy of the software. I reported the incidents (plural) and was layed off. I presented pictures I had taken. Call me a snitch, but I don't tolerate that behavior at a medical device company. NuVasive has become a victim of its own culture. I am actually very disappointed.

Advice to Management

Management works well when you find the truth between desire and reality. Dictatorial demands backed by demeaning speeches negate your intent of motivation. At this point, too much damage has already been done. Too bad, because the philosophy of innovation that lead to an IPO has been supplanted by the proverbial baton. Management, "physician heal thyself".

"Not worth the long hours! No work/life balance at all!"

Former Employee - Information Technology in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Information Technology in San Diego, CA

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, nice people, corporate and departmental events, recognition for going above and beyond ("Spotties" or "Spot Awards"), ability to travel between offices at the expense of the company, education and gym reimbursement.

Cons

Multiple class action lawsuits against NuVasive which are currently in the court system, a multi million dollar judgment against NuVasive in the Medtronic lawsuit, spine exam (ridiculous to make people take it as a condition of employment and even more ridiculous to not reschedule it even though my department was heavily involved in the office move to the Lusk office and we had no time to study!). I can understand making client facing individuals take it but my department works "behind the scenes" and it was of no benefit to us whatsoever! And FYI, I didn't pass it the first (two) times that I took it and I am glad that I got "lost in the shuffle" and never had to retake it again! Also, the mentality of "you don't have to go but you have to go" in regards to team building exercises and corporate events stinks! What happened to work/life balance? You are driving your employees to burn out! I missed so many family events because I had to attend NuVasive functions. Furthermore, people don't need phone calls from executive staff asking why they didn't attend a corporate function. It's none of their business!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more and allow them to spend more time with their families!

"WORST PLACE.. Do not work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time

Pros

none that i can think of

Cons

They work you to death.. and if you don't drink the purple koolaid and have express any kind of independent thoughts you are outed... I've never seen a more cultish company in my life

Advice to Management

Change the senior management

"Turn the other way and don't look back!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at NuVasive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice campus, free snacks, nice co-workers, some great mangers, very smart people... The company is growing and it takes pride in their culture.

Cons

I have read previous posts and completely agree with come comments. This Company is simply "cultish!" There is absolutely NO regard to ones personal life.... understand that you will have ZERO time for your family.. it is run like a sweat shop. Your personal time is spent in huge company events with huge budgets that secretly.. not many want to attend.. everyone would just rather be home with their children.. but this Company expects you live it, eat it, sleep it and breathe it. I challenge you before you work here.. to ask about their turnover rate. Everyone quits.. Everyone gets fired and Everyone gets burnt out.

Advice to Management

I advise you to stop spending so much money on Company events. Understand that people would love to be home with their family and not glued to their phones all of the time. While the events are nice.. I think they are less valued then you think.. however if someone speaks up about it.. they will no longer be viewed as an "A Player."

"Prepared to be expected to work hard, and be judged on your relationships ... not your merit!!!"

Former Employee - CSR-trainer in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - CSR-trainer in Memphis, TN

I worked at NuVasive full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I did enjoy the people that I worked alongside in the Customer Service department located in Memphis. However, if you were not part of a small group of brown-nosing employees, that never questioned anything and acted like complete sheep .... you were either buried in a position without promotion, or fired.

Cons

Those in management (in Memphis) would fire you if they felt threatened by your ideas, intelligence or your innovative approach to solving problems. If the solutions didn't come from those already in power, they were not considered and you were thought of as "being a problem". I worked for three women directly ... I worked 50-plus hours a week for two-and-a-half years, and was fired after two-and-a-half years because I was working unwarranted overtime. MIND YOU - that your time cards were approved electronically every pay period — and mine were the exact same (number of hours) the entire time. The real reason was that I was pushing for a much-deserved promotion and the women in charge felt threatened ... but it could be worse — I could still be there!!

Advice to Management

Listen to those trying to work their way up ... you might find out some interesting things about those currently leading the way.