Nuance Medical Transcriptionist Reviews | Glassdoor

Nuance CEO Mark Benjamin
Mark Benjamin

"Medical transcription"

Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance for more than a year

Pros

The pay was on time.

Cons

QA nitpicky, punitive, no breaks, run out of work, too many accounts getting sent overseas.

Advice to Management

Don't offshore work and keep work in the country.

Nuance2017-02-09

"Don't do it... If your current company is absorbed by Nuance, it's better to get unemployment than to work for them."

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had a wonderful manager who was very sympathetic whenever the "big dogs" would do inhumane things to the team.

Cons

Everything else. They would implement a bonus system and as soon as everyone started getting the bonuses, they would make up a reason to reduce your pay. The final straw was when they just said "you are typing on a platform that is easier than everybody else's, so we are taking 12% of your income. You should have heard the profanities being shouted on that conference call. Oh, and usually right before Christmas... they would send out an email about how your pay was being decreased - for whatever reason they felt like using. I would rather be homeless and making no money at all than to work for this company.

Advice to Management

Just go offshore already and see what happens to this industry. I hope that your giant ship sinks...

Nuance2017-02-02

"Medical Transcriptionist, aka Medical Language Specialist"

I worked at Nuance

Pros

Working at Home that is it!

Cons

Management is very poor. Communication is bad. Audio is very poor. Accuracy is not valued. Employees are paid very poorly. Reviewers of work little knowledge of medical transcription. Although incorrectly transcribed, if someone decides it is the "right way to type it" you are expected to type it that way even though you know it is incorrect,. The speed and production rate Nuance expects is totally... unrealistic as you have to send copy to correct physicians, proof read reports and because the audio is extremely poor even with native English-speaking physicians, unless you do not care, you need to go over it carefully to ensure accuracy!

Advice to Management

Value hard-working, accurate employees.

Nuance2017-01-06

"Medical Language Specialist"

I worked at Nuance for more than 10 years

Pros

There was always plenty of work. They were very flexible as to when you could work and when you could not.

Cons

They ax'd all their California employees. Pretty obvious when they acquired India almost 2 years ago. I'm sure you'll be seeing more cuts at Nuance in the not too distant future.

Nuance2016-11-16

"Medical Transcriptionist"

I worked at Nuance for less than a year

Pros

Daily and weekly emails to help MTs keep track of account changes.

Cons

Unobtainable bonuses. Extreme poor quality audios. Little to no work available to be assigned during some hours worked.

Nuance2016-12-06

"Medical Language Specialist"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Nuance part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to work from home

Cons

Nuance offers no flexibility in scheduling. They have you scheduled down to the minute and then often times work was not available. The editing pay per line is industry standard, which is incredibly low as the voice recognition software is not that great.

Advice to Management

Realize that most people doing this job are doing so to take care of family and life happens. Be accommodating every once in a while.

Nuance2016-09-07

"Should have negative stars."

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are no pros for working for this sweatshop company anymore. It's not worth it to get paid below minimum wage just because it's on time. it's not worth it to be able to work at home for sweatshop wages.

Cons

This company is the worst of the worst MTSO. They have managed to absolutely EVERYTHING wrong. For me the straw that broke the camel's back was when they started sending my work to India for QA. The garbage that came back as "corrections" was appalling and not once was anything corrected. Just another way to steal pay from MTs. Now they are laying off every single California employee because California actually... has laws that somewhat protect their workers. It just keeps getting worse with these people. My one wish would be that every single person working for this _____ (I can't think of a bad enough word to put in here!!) company can get out. They truly do not deserve even their worst employee, much less the ones who actually care about their job and this profession. It's sickening.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the pay grid. Quit sending work to India either for transcription or QA. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES A LIVING SALARY.

Nuance2016-09-12

"Exploited, underpaid MT/E workforce relative to skillset"

MLS, Medical Transcriptionist/Editor - Remote U S in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance

Pros

Though exploited, unable to network/collective bargain, statistic on a spreadsheet to be dropped with inconsistent application of faulty metrics, can work-at-home.

Cons

Inappropriate, nonrecommended (AHDI) performance measurement and compensation (high variability). MT/E wages often minimum wage. Staff isolated, unable to collectively bargain.

Advice to Management

Hourly wages+incentives. Extend review periods, averaging, to account for variability. Better training, procedures, mentorship, networking for answers and bargaining.

Nuance2016-08-30

"Medical language specialist"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home. Work with very nice people. Interesting reports for the most part.

Cons

Making $8.50 an hour. Lots of ESL dictators slow down your productivity. About 10 days per year PTO and cannot carry over any unused to the next year (PTO includes vacation, sick leave, holidays, any reason you are off work with the exception of Jury Duty and Bereavement Leave);

Advice to Management

Raise the level of pay per line. Offer more PTO.

Nuance2016-07-04

"Terrible Company"

Former Contractor - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Nuance for less than a year

Pros

The ability to work at home.

Cons

Everything, low pay, poor management, etc...

Advice to Management

Think about who is paying your salary.

Nuance2016-07-15