Nuance Reviews | Glassdoor

Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In some positions, work/life balance can be impossible to achieve (in 42 reviews)

• Upper management is looking to squeeze every dollar (in 39 reviews)

"If you are thinking about working for these people, don't."

Current Employee - MLS in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - MLS in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid on time. Management is well taken care of.

Cons

I never wanted to work for Nuance. My sweet little MT company was gobbled up by this monster and so I was forced into working for them. I will be leaving in a week. So many things wrong with this company. PTO? You get 8.5 hours every 4 months! Seriously?!? And if there is too much work then you are forbidden to use PTO. Management does not care if you are dying. You must pump out those lines! I can't fit into this little box all of the reasons why you should go with another company, just do. I have been doing this over 12 years and this is the worst company I have ever worked for. There is no holiday pay. If you send more than 2 reports to QA in a week your pay goes from 0.085 to 0.07.

Advice to Management

Give better benefits, have more incentives,

"The attrition rate speaks for itself."

Former Employee - Former Operations Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Former Operations Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation/benefits is okay, PTO is great, Well stocked break room, Job security due to high rate of attrition and low rate of new hires

Cons

Staffing issues, No opportunity for advancement, Random toolsets badly in need of consolidation, Escalation points have become surly and borderline abusive, Management consistently seems to ignore feedback, Toxic culture of blame and politics

Advice to Management

Stop shifting your paradigm and tend to the needs of your employees. Empower front line employees to give customers the service they expect, and show some concern over a high and persistent rate of attrition coming from a single team.

In such a custom environment there is no way to avoid some tribal knowledge as a necessity, an with multiple places to search for documentation that's not an easy thing to prevent. Retention of skilled resources should be a much higher priority, as should a consolidated toolset which would help to make documentation a more realistic problem to address.

3. "Medical language specialist, transcribing and editing medical reports for health care providers throughout the U.S."

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working from home was the only pro.

Cons

Employee is responsible to buy own computer, softwares,, etc. for office set-up. If there are no jobs downloading, need to wait for work, could take a long time; no work no pay. Scheduled shift but if no work during the shift management hopes employee will work at night. Paid per line; would not recommend.

"Medical Transcriptionist"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at Nuance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working for this company.

Cons

This company lied to me from the very beginning. They claimed that I would work a full-time Monday through Friday shift, but there was never any work during that time. I was required to log on several times a day to check for work, but I was not paid for my time doing that. Then I would get rude e-mails every Friday stating that I had just better work over the weekend if I intended to get my lines in. I was told that 80% of my work would be straight transcription, but it was 99% editing, which of course pays only half. I was told that they would be responsive to any questions or concerns, but they were not. My supervisor would send me e-mails several times throughout the day and require immediate response, which really cut into any work I was able to get, but she never responded to any e-mails I sent her. We were required to do several tasks that were unpaid. The way they calculated errors and production was a joke. The pay was low, and people with 20 years of experience were paid no more than newbies. The last straw was when we were required to take a test, which I took and passed with 100% accuracy, but she apparently overlooked the results and locked me out of the system, then went on vacation for a week. I couldn't get any response from her or her supervisor, so I sent in my resignation with immediate effect. That was the first and only time anyone from Nuance bothered to contact me regarding my concerns. My supervisor's boss actually called me on the phone and asked me not to resign. I told her that the three months at that company were the worst work experience I had ever had in my life, and I moved on to another company.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for the people who bring income to your company. If you don't have the shift they want, don't lie to them. Respond to their communications. Pay them for all the tasks that you require of them .

"transcriptionist/editor for EditScript"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Nuance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can't get work anywhere else.

Cons

I worked here 5+ years. Lots of punitive feedback affecting/lowering salary; nothing but verbal pat on back when you do well - no promotion, no increase in pay - all take and no give with lots of begging for extra help when Nuance needs it. For MTs (30 hours a week) you get no holidays - if it's Christmas, too bad if it's a work day - you work for same salary. No extra pay for working overtime/weekends. Finally, no solutions to software problems that slow a person down - reaction "must be your system that is at fault." Also - PTO time is pitiful - work 30 hours a week for 3 months - you get 11 hours of PTO time that's all.

Advice to Management

Karma can be awful...you reap what you sow.

"Terrible Leadership"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not easy to identify them

Cons

the leadership at Nuance is incompetent at nearly all levels. The CEO is hated within the company and even SVPs complain about him. Nearly every week, a new priority arises and execs panic - teams are flipped from one project to the next. Many in the company are demoralized on a regular basis. You can see it in the hallways and in meetings. The company is now telling employees to write positive reviews here to try to raise their score
    to paper over the issues with the culture. Good companies don't need to do that.

Advice to Management

You need to be replaced.

Nuance Response

Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the feedback. Most companies do request employees to post information on glassdoor about their experience. We do not ask for a specific type of review, only... More

"Opeations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Burlington, MA

Pros

Despite the company "culture," I have made some good friends here. I'm sure it's against policy.

Cons

Nuance only cares about making money off the backs of its employees. They treat you like a washrag and then throw you away when they're done with you. Upper management is uninterested in new ideas - they only want you to do as your told as quickly as possible. If you have a team, you are discouraged to treat them as anything but cogs in a wheel. They even sent an email to the managers to the effect that if they'd post a positive review on Glassdoor, they would be entered in a raffle for a prize. So the company is well aware of it's reputation.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Become human.

8. "Beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology no longer sexy but there is potential.

Cons

Management is inept. CEO and team are in it for personal gain. They play favorites and are constantly cutting people and jobs and moving people offshore. Knew I had to go when I got my first and last bonus in STOCK not cash. Is that even legal?

Advice to Management

Quit and give the company a chance.

"Very Political"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Burlington, MA

Pros

Great products with cool technology

Cons

Backstabbing... one minute you are a superstar, the next you are on the list to be exited. It is an unhealthy environment for some departments. Expectation is that you are always working..even on a Friday night at 10pm...

Advice to Management

It is obvious who the favorites are. You have lost so many good people due to inept management and pitting employees against each other. It is ok for managers to get promotions and raises but the minions get squat.

"Word to the wise ..."

Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work location in the downtown Seattle area, in an ancient building. Bagels served on Monday mornings, too. Some of the people are very friendly.

Cons

Management is looking to outsource as much as possible, so one might be skeptical as to the stability of their future at Nuance. Teams are not concerned with whether individuals flourish, enjoy their work or are particularly successful.

Advice to Management

What you are doing is counterproductive to how proper software is developed. Stop thinking that Nuance is some mecca of software and realize it is really just another place to work. Give your employees a real reason to stay.