Nuance Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Unique culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone with whom I've come in contact has been extremely nice and professional. I've yet to have a conflict with a co-worker. Disagreements, sure, but no conflicts like I have at other companies where people were negative and backstabbing. The projects are very interesting and it's great to be at a company in a hot technology space.

Cons

Rather behind technologically. Laptops and IT infrastructure should be cutting edge, but we're years behind - the recent cyber attack lit the fuse to make significant updates, but it's coming very late and we have a long way to go. For example, laptops are not current hardware and most still run Windows 7. As other reviewers have said, this is a geographically distributed company. You will likely work will very few people on site. If you work at a remote office, outside the Burlington HQ, or from home, you need to strongly consider if you can work that way - it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

As a major player in the technology space, especially AI, you have to stay on the cutting-edge of technology. Listen to your employees when they suggest better tools or processes for getting this done - you have to stay current to compete.

Nuance Response

Sep 6, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear the projects are interesting to you! We appreciate your insight in regards to the technology and are working to make significant changes with our IT... More

2. "software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Nuance (More than 5 years)

Pros

good and full welfare, flexible hours,

Cons

nothing really from top of my head

3. "Nuance"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Nuance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance and great fellow employees.

Cons

Lack of clarity on project vision, scope, stakeholders.

Nuance Response

Jul 31, 2017

Thank you for your response and feedback. We are happy to hear you had a positve work-life balance.

"Engineering - R&D"

Current Employee - Engineering - R&D
    Current Employee - Engineering - R&D

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. Able to solve real US healthcare problems.
    2. Be part of the innovation that can help change the healthcare approach.
    3. Healthcare Unit has a genuine focus on Client Satisfaction that creates incredible learning opportunities.
    4. Pune Center of Excellence is a good value addition to the current talent pool.

Cons

1. Difficult to balance personal life with the amount of workload.
    2. Employee benefits can be improved so top talent doesn't leave for better pay/benefits.
    3. Employee career path needs a fresh outlook and flexibility.

Advice to Management

My comments are focused on healthcare unit. I LOVE the current leadership focus on client satisfaction and would love to see that continue with added innovation and creativity in solving client problems, pain points.

"UX Designer"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, work environment. Get your work done and nobody bothers you
    Work from home option available to some (if you live within 40 minutes of an office, probably not)
    I haven't worked with anyone I don't like, everyone has been competent

Cons

Sales overpromises on incomplete products (management wants clients to fund product development without telling them, it seems like)

Some roles are constantly overworked (not mine, but my manager's is), causing bottlenecks or poor work-life balance for them

IT investment is low - our tools are built for a higher resolution display than the laptops we are issued have

Getting hired was a long process, and the two people I have recommended for positions here were either forgotten about (far along in the interview process, which was over the course of 3 weeks) or treated poorly. Despite bringing this issue up in the appropriate channels, I haven't seen any meaningful attempt to address the issue, which is a shame, because this is a solid place to work. At this time I am unable to recommend referring anyone to work here.

Benefits for remote employees have been significantly cut since I started here.

Advice to Management

Consider improving transparency for pay. When I asked my manager if there was a pay range for my Nuance career level, she said there was no documentation on that, which is frustrating.

Consider budgeting benefits for remote employees, such as team building exercises. I saw a significant increase in my productivity and unity with my team after we went on-site for client visits together.
    Office employees (at least in Seattle) are given bus passes, parking compensation, food and regular beer/wine parties, and other benefits. Remote employees are (maybe) compensated up to $40 a month for internet costs (down from $80 previously), despite bearing the cost of office space themselves.

6. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Always innovative and usually ahead of the competition with software products in healthcare

Cons

While innovative, their go-to-market strategy has a poor history.

7. "Absorbed the start-up I worked for and laid-off most 2 years later"

Former Employee - Engineering Management
    Former Employee - Engineering Management

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: 4 week vacation is standard, education grant> $5k per year, adoption support!

Cons

Don't work with employees to relocate them to other jobs in the company even if there are a good fit. Management lacks vision about what's coming next. Compensation is a bit subpar according to my peers, but I was treated ok.

Advice to Management

When employee sees they need to be more technical to move up, help them and don't stay in denial about their prospects - don't only think about your next move!

8. "Glad to be back!!!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team structure, strong communication from exec leadership and empowerment to plan and executive my projects and programs. I left a few years back and regretted the move about six weeks after I left for a shiny object. But I was fortunate to have the opportunity to return and soon discover that I was in a wave of about six people that made the same "boomerang" move.

Cons

Nothing major other than the usual systems challenges of our procurement system, reporting resources, etc. but no deal breakers.

Advice to Management

Be mindful of chasms in teams across business units where senior management does not have good chemistry with their staff which can be poison. I'm fortunate and have never experienced it in my first go around with Nuance and even in my return.

9. "Software Manager"

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work for a good team

Cons

Upper management is looking to squeeze every dollar

"Stable market leader"

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nuance is the only company in the world with the depth and breadth of services offerings in the enterprise speech reco space, and is a market leader in PS with many big name customers. May sound like a sales pitch, but it's just our daily lives and a great place to work as a result. I've been here a long time, so maybe I drank the Kool-Aid, but I'm also here with a lot of other people who have been here a long time - and that says a lot, too.

(in Enterprise Pro Services)
    - Great customers
    - Consistent work
    - Regular opportunities to improve tools/process or work on new tech
    - Great people and culture

Cons

- Typical large public company stuff, I don't think any of this is any different from any other multi-billion public company

Advice to Management

IP retention and customer/market needs have to trump cost-control focus more often than they currently do.

Showing 275 of 1,036 reviews