Nuance Reviews | Glassdoor

Nuance Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

1. "Excellence is Nuance"

Current Employee - Legal Account Executive in Northeast, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Account Executive in Northeast, NY

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At Nuance what separates us from everyone else is clearly our talent; Smart and educated. Combining that with our global reach, our creative minds and meshing it with cool, cutting edge technology makes for a stellar company. The proverbial cherry on top of the cake would be our Management team. They demonstrate excellence on a daily basis. Nuance is on a whole the most innovative and passionate firm in the marketplace.

Cons

Still looking for something to put here.

Advice to Management

Please continue to pour your hearts and souls into this company, if so, the talent you have amassed will continue to out perform for you.

2. "Overall Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Healthcare Division in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Healthcare Division in Burlington, MA

Pros

Great technology and products. Leadership has a vision for the company and articulates it to all employees. While the company has had success in a lot of areas, it is constantly looking for new areas for growth.

Cons

Like any large company, it can have it's bureaucratic challenges. Certain (but not all) things can be way harder than they need to be. As a company made up from many (and continuing) acquisitions, integration can be slow leading to big differences in processes, tools, etc between different parts of the company. We seem to be getting better at it, but it can still present challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Through company-wide and divisional all-hands meetings, you do a good job of keeping everyone aligned and up to date on the company's health and vision. Much better than other places I've worked.

3. "Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership team and a desire to help me to succeed. I feel my immediate management team is very supportive and collaborative. Good Benefits and ability to work remote.

Cons

Too many levels in management which at times can make it difficult to get things done. 401K match is not very good compared to what I have seen with other companies. I think it is 50% for first 4%.

"Tough environment, but it is improving"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Technology is cutting edge and interesting
    - Things are always changing, never making it a dull day
    - Recent improvements within functions to try and deliver a clear vision (used to be non-existent...but improving)
    - the CEO is retiring

Cons

- They don't invest in their employees- I don't think they know what career development is and onboarding is quite difficult
    - People don't appreciate hard work or late hours...they expect it and even getting a "thank you" is quite rare
    - A non-collaborative culture- management between business units/functions for whatever reason seem to be in a never-ending competition
    - Company tends to not think about long-term and puts a lot of band-aids on large problems

Advice to Management

Stop competing against one another, we all work for the same company

"Make a few changes and this place could be even better"

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are great. The team is strong and extremely collaborative. Also very supportive when your manager goes off on you for something they don't understand. Other divisions seek out my expertise and working with them is a joy. The compensation is good.

Cons

Two set of rules for employees. One for director-level and above. The other for anyone else. Be under direct orders not to talk to, reach out or help another department within the same division. Are we back in high school? Working for an extreme micromanager who says they aren't a micro-manager. Been told that I can't be trusted to do my job. Nothing can be sent/published without their approval. This holds up projects and programs then I'm asked why haven't these projects/programs been launched. It's because they haven't approved them. If I launch them, I get yelled at. If I don't I get publicly admonished in front of colleagues. I can't win. When I talked to HR about this, nothing was done. It's only gotten worse, almost retaliatory. Almost like they knew I went to HR about these specific issues. So why go back to HR and to be caught in this vicious cycle? There is nowhere for me to advance in the division which I find a bit frustrating since this is not what I was told when I joined the company more than a year ago.

Advice to Management

Like I said, the team I work on is great. Reassigning or removing some in management would be helpful in making this division more successful and more collaborative.

"This place is a acquisition nightmare"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunrise, FL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is fair for the job.

Cons

The Nuance acquisition strategy is extremely reactive and nothing is ever planned well. This is definitely a place where good software goes to die.

Advice to Management

Plan and execute better.

8. "Nuance is interesting"

Current Employee - Research Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Work from home! No commute! Great work/life balance. Smart colleagues. Cool products. Small enough to know end-to-end systems; big enough to find someone who is an expert in whatever you're looking for.

Cons

Good compensation, but stingy on travel, hardware, or little perks.

Advice to Management

Employees look at more than just salary to know if they are valued. Splurge a little and buy new computers, monitors, snacks, or even products with our technology. They will appreciate it.

9. "Great company for people interested in language"

Current Employee - Principal Research Scientist in Arvada, CO
    Current Employee - Principal Research Scientist in Arvada, CO

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nuance is a unique company that focuses solely on improving human-machine interaction better through the use of natural language processing. Not everyone at the company is working directly on NLP algorithms, but everyone is supporting language-based products at some level. It's very exciting to be working on cutting-edge technologies.

Cons

If you're interested in working for a small company, Nuance is not a good choice. It does come with some of the red tape that big companies have.

"Great Products & Returning to Growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues all working hard to get it done!
    SAAS transformation is happening
    Starting to see investments beginning to be made in infrastructure
    Our products work and drive productivity improvements for all

Cons

Top down driven company (act like a big start up)
    Political agendas abound
    Ineffective leadership in several areas of the company

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to those getting things done and less to political agendas

11. "Channel Marketing"

Former Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Channel Marketing Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance (More than a year)

Pros

Great boss and team. Really enjoyed the channel sales team that I supported.

Cons

Management across the business units is not very consistent. While my experience was very positive I've heard of other teams experiencing poor management, infighting, poor team support.

Advice to Management

Follow through on career development for your top team members and be more generous with bonuses to retain your staff.