Nuance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,006 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Rather acquire other companies than invest in tools, employees AND SECURITY PATCHES"

I worked at Nuance full-time

Pros

None. They try to hang with Google/FB/AMZN/Apple and it's impossible.

Cons

I was fortunate to be apart of a department that believed in work/life balance, but I always heard the opposite from other employees in other departments/LOBs.

Advice to Management

Hire the right CEO that will right this ship. Current CEO has used the company as his own piggy bank for too long and don't even get me started on the wasteful spending on the private jet. You could send your execs in biz class and save money to invest in tools that would make the company more efficient in day to day operations.

"Feels Terrible"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is not technically challenging
    Hours arent too bad

Cons

Tools make job harder and are required
    pay is mediocre / low end
    Hostile employees are employed even after making coworkers cry
    All developers are Senior in title

Advice to Management

This company doesnt care about values. Employs some angry people.

Stop making impossible promises

Oct 16, 2017

Thank you for your review. We encourage you to share your story with your manager or your HR leadership so that we can ensure your experience at Nuance is more positive.

"High Stress - Severely Under-resourced"

Former Employee - Senior Program Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Program Manager

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Known name in the industry
    Healthcare division is key revenue driver

Cons

High Stress, Unhealthy Environment, Politics, Low Morale
    Constant lay-offs
    Stagnant stock
    Chronically/Acutely understaffed projects
    Very male dominated culture - few opportunities for advancement for women

Advice to Management

Hire sufficiently to staff projects

"Technology company stuck in the 90s"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Burlington, MA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team was extremely collaborative. The compensation is ok not great.

Cons

You never know what's going on. Constantly told to get things done and stay late to accomplish it. Only to be told the next day- we don't need that now. My division alone has gone thru 3 VPs in the past year. Upper management is a mess.

Many lower-level employees in the company are demoralized on a regular basis. My former boss had a nervous breakdown when she wasn't prepared for a meeting and was called out on it. I was then forced to send an email to new VP blaming the people who called her out. While I understand support your boss/team, lying about actual events is not the way to create cohesion in the division.

The company is now telling employees to write positive reviews here to try to raise their score on here. We've actually been sent out emails once a day for a month, reminding us to do this right before performance reviews.

Back in late June, we were victims of the cyber attack - Petya, a WannaCry product. The company could have prevent this by doing the software patch two months prior but nope let's rush our implementation of Office 365.

Advice to Management

What's the point? They don't listen. I'm no longer with the company. I just hope other people don't make the same mistake I did and waste 2 years of their life.

Sep 29, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. As a Director of Marketing @ Nuance, for two years, I'm sure you know that we have had a focus over the last several years on improving communications with an emphasis on... More

5. "Good, prodcutive company with positive culture."

Former Employee - Transcrtition Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Transcrtition Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Nuance (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable work load, fair compesation

Cons

None of signifiucance to report.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

Sep 6, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and glad to hear you were happy in your role here.

"Current Employee"

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

The salary I receive is very good.

Cons

Poor leadership, schizophrenic software development processes, no product direction, horrible benefits, M&A activities have no rhyme or reason, and they provide little to no means for employee development.

Advice to Management

Sell NDI to an organization who will do something meaningful with it.

"Their Goal is to sell Dragon"

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Nuance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the accounts I worked on, their enrich program and my supervisors. Working from home.

Cons

Constantly, being moved from accounts to different ones, being slowed down each time having to learn the platforms, new dictators, and account specifics. I worked for a company that was bought out by them. I finally realized that all they are about is selling their voice software to the clients, using the transcriptionists as bandaids until they made the sale, and then putting us on other new accounts they acquired. Sometimes out of work. They send stuff to india which competed with their US employees. I was 1 of the 432 employees let go in September because of the results of the cyber attack in June. The way they did it was by a recording. Did not payout PTO that employees had accrued. No compassion.

Advice to Management

My supervisors were excellent but the higher management needs to take care of their employees better, the pay is supposed to go up not down. It went down 4 times in 5 years, while upper management making millions. If u appreciate and reward your employees, they will work even harder to please u.

Sep 27, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We have a separate page for our transcription services as this is the Corporate Nuance page. Please feel free to share your valuable input here... More

"Sends jobs to India"

Pros

None that I can see

Cons

Lay off American workers and send work to India. Do not pay a living wage.

Advice to Management

Start treating American employees better! 7.5 cents per line straight typing??? 3 cents for VR??? Really? Be interesting if management got paid by production at the mere pittance they pay their American MTs.

9. "Better than ever"

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Market leader in multiple LOBs

Cons

Remote employees rarely get networking opportunities

Sep 6, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoy your role. In terms of opportunities for remote employees and networking we think that is a great suggestion.

"Needs help at the C level, questionable IT practices."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay level good, benefits good, new offices, workers are professional and very talented. Many could excel tremendously both financially and achieve broadened application of skills elsewhere. Culture and values great at worker level.

Cons

Poor communication from upper management down. Rampant politics and in-fighting that clouds judgement and prevents the establishment of a clear strategic direction. Lack of accountability at higher management levels.

Financial decisions regarding investments in technology refresh, advances and maintenance are puzzling.

Seems to be toxicity in and between middle and upper management.

Expectations set by upper management appear abusive towards workers in some cases, but is cleverly crafted to provide plausible deniability. Closer examination and analysis in the absence of fear is very enlightening.

Decisions by upper management levels seldom consider the human elements when those decisions will impact workers -- comes across as a total disregard for the individual's time and is quite disrespectful. In some cases decisions stand in stark contrast to the work/life balance touted by management.

Stock value is flat. Bonuses are awarded in stock and the stock value often tanks when options vest, yet have been taxed at higher value before vesting. Likely an unfortunate coincidence which works out in the wash, but value often does not match the original intended bonus percentage.

Poorly, if at all, prepared for DR, Business Continuity, or Crisis Management. As a result the business is at substantial risk and this has been demonstrated recently during a malware/ransomware attack.

BOD should be asking hard and serious questions as should investors with influence, regarding IT security practices, and who is accountable for the lack there of, and then take appropriate action up to an including dismissal.

Questionable Information and IT Security Procedures, and/or lack thereof.

Ask yourself this before considering joining Nuance. If an organization is hit by a virus/malware/ransomeware, such as Petya, a WannaCry variant, and the recommendation to patch with an update that was available and widely known of at least two months before the virus hit, who is accountable for leaving systems unprotected and vulnerable thus allowing a $2 Billion Dollar business to be taken to its knees in a matter of minutes? What about the lack of routine patching of user systems and servers within prod, dev and otherwise? Is it the CEO, CIO or CISO? It is not the individual contributors.

The fact that a company would be hit by such an event is not a matter of bad luck that can be attributed to "it could happen to anyone". It is a matter of not being prepared -- all despite the international news, and the IT community in general, making the risks as well as the fix well known to the world well beforehand. The company is paying the price now and then some. Unfortunately customers have suffered as a result.

Advice to Management

BOD should take a hard look at the c-level to better understand how decisions at the c-level have impacted the organization.

Showing 1,006 of 1,062 reviews