Nuance Reviews in Seattle, WA | Glassdoor

"UX Designer"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, work environment. Get your work done and nobody bothers you
    Work from home option available to some (if you live within 40 minutes of an office, probably not)
    I haven't worked with anyone I don't like, everyone has been competent

Cons

Sales overpromises on incomplete products (management wants clients to fund product development without telling them, it seems like)

Some roles are constantly overworked (not mine, but my manager's is), causing bottlenecks or poor work-life balance for them

IT investment is low - our tools are built for a higher resolution display than the laptops we are issued have

Getting hired was a long process, and the two people I have recommended for positions here were either forgotten about (far along in the interview process, which was over the course of 3 weeks) or treated poorly. Despite bringing this issue up in the appropriate channels, I haven't seen any meaningful attempt to address the issue, which is a shame, because this is a solid place to work. At this time I am unable to recommend referring anyone to work here.

Benefits for remote employees have been significantly cut since I started here.

Advice to Management

Consider improving transparency for pay. When I asked my manager if there was a pay range for my Nuance career level, she said there was no documentation on that, which is frustrating.

Consider budgeting benefits for remote employees, such as team building exercises. I saw a significant increase in my productivity and unity with my team after we went on-site for client visits together.
    Office employees (at least in Seattle) are given bus passes, parking compensation, food and regular beer/wine parties, and other benefits. Remote employees are (maybe) compensated up to $40 a month for internet costs (down from $80 previously), despite bearing the cost of office space themselves.

"Senior software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast
    Free coffee
    Located around good eating spots
    Occasional Pizza events
    Extra company holidays

Cons

1. The Professional services unit uses home grown development tools that are completely outdated and not at all scalable in terms of parallel development and from learning and general programming skills perspective. The higher management does not care about replacing it and it costs lot of extra development effort that is absorbed in project estimates.
    2. Professional services team or customization team is a direct customer of the R&D team but they don't treat them that way.
    3. R&D team members are outright rude and high headed.
    4. Engineers on the PS team have to work late not because of the complexity of the projects but because of the complexity of the home grown outdated tool that they are compelled to use.
    5. 8 out of 10 projects run over budget and miss deadlines because the issues related to the homegrown dev environment are highly unpredictable.
    6. Team morale and team member growth is of least priority.
    7. Project managers are dumb and usually pester devs with "Whats the status?" questions.

Advice to Management

If you don't find ways to retain talent, they will go somewhere else.

"Ok money, no work life balance"

Former Employee - Network Operations Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Network Operations Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nuance allowed employees to have access to some pretty cool technology. Unfortunately, all that cool tech was at least ten years outdated.

Cons

Where to begin?

Pay was underwhelming, despite senior management saying "at least we pay well!"

Hours are miserable. Seriously, 60+ hours every week and getting PTO requests approved was pulling teeth.

Management spent no time in training, or developing their current employees. They would rather run current employees into the ground and hire talent from outside the company.

Very little advancement opportunity. People are shoehorned into becoming SMEs on legacy products and have tribal knowledge that isn't documented anywhere. I saw one person promoted in the time that I was there.

When integral employees supporting legacy products leave for employers who won't ask for 60+ hours a week, they don't backfill the position. So the employees that are still there are expected to do more with less.

Their Enterprise solution is a nightmare. Constant data center outages for a culture of band-aid fixes.

Advice to Management

Train the people you have, and quit paying the C level employees out the nose to properly support your products. Initiatives to have a better organization are full steam ahead when the VP from Silicon Valley is in town, them abandoned when he goes home.

Oct 3, 2017

Thank you for your review. We take great pride in our innovative technology and are so happy that you were able to work with our products and solutions while at Nuance. We understand, however, that... More

"Nuance: Making Technology easier for everyone but their employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people in the NOC are some of the most dedicated people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Cons

* The Seattle NOC is forced to work in a very inefficient manor: Broken tools to monitor with, but still held accountable for everything.

* Some people would rather be unemployed than work here as they have quit with no notice.

* Improvement initiatives only happen when out of town VP's are in the office and die when they leave.

Advice to Management

I recommend looking into ITIL. It would do this company a world of good, but only if followed.

"The attrition rate speaks for itself."

Former Employee - Former Operations Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Former Operations Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation/benefits is okay, PTO is great, Well stocked break room, Job security due to high rate of attrition and low rate of new hires

Cons

Staffing issues, No opportunity for advancement, Random toolsets badly in need of consolidation, Escalation points have become surly and borderline abusive, Management consistently seems to ignore feedback, Toxic culture of blame and politics

Advice to Management

Stop shifting your paradigm and tend to the needs of your employees. Empower front line employees to give customers the service they expect, and show some concern over a high and persistent rate of attrition coming from a single team.

In such a custom environment there is no way to avoid some tribal knowledge as a necessity, an with multiple places to search for documentation that's not an easy thing to prevent. Retention of skilled resources should be a much higher priority, as should a consolidated toolset which would help to make documentation a more realistic problem to address.

"Cross team communication is impossible"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Free breakfast
    -Generous work from home policy
    -QAs and PMs are easy to work with
    -Spacious desk space

Cons

-Management implicitly or explicitly pushes team to work 50+ hours a week
    -Software performance is on the back burner. The company focuses on to get features out, rather feathers with good quality
    -Production environment is not built in a way that you can test your software before it's available to customers
    -Cross team communication is SO DIFFICULT. You will never hear back unless you follow up 3-4 emails, and involve management. The team to be inquired is always so defensive, arrogant.
    -A guy from Engineering team once wrote a reply to one of my team mates with the following content:

Please DO NOT send me emails to follow-up on forum posts. why?
    I DO NOT appreciate being hen-pecked
    I get notices from the forum software
    I HAVE OTHER WORK TO DO

If you do this again, I will NEVER answer another question for you. Capisce?

7. "Software engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time

Pros

Great technology portfolio. Diverse team. Flexible work schedule. Work life balance

Cons

Disconnect from upper management. Unclear company vision.

Mar 27, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are keenly focused on ensuring that people are hearing the path forward. We hope you have had an opportunity to participate in the quarterly company meetings as well... More

"Sdet"

Current Employee - SDET2 in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - SDET2 in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work, good people

Cons

Benefits, perks, growth , insecurity, salary

9. "Seattle office is a decent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Seattle office has some great people, leadership and talent. Nice office space.

Cons

Most years I was employed at Nuance there were quarterly layoffs.

Feb 14, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to see you acknowledge the great talent at Nuance. It is true that our business strategy has sometimes included layoffs.

10. "Sales Engineer"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership team and a desire to help me to succeed. I feel my immediate management team is very supportive and collaborative. Good Benefits and ability to work remote.

Cons

Too many levels in management which at times can make it difficult to get things done. 401K match is not very good compared to what I have seen with other companies. I think it is 50% for first 4%.

Showing 32 of 1,061 reviews