Nuance Technical Support Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Nuance Chairman and CEO Paul A. Ricci
Paul A. Ricci

Cons

"Burned out with no relief in sight"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

These comments are specifically speaking to the Melbourne , Florida facility.

Limitless amounts of work to be done - you'll never be bored!
    Better than average amounts of time off annually.
    HR and senior management will listen when you have something to say.
    Upper-Mid-Level management are company veterans.
    Jobs are constantly being posted for positions company-wide.

Cons

These comments are specifically speaking to the Melbourne, Florida facility.

You'll never be bored because they will be working you to death! Every person has a red-line and this company will push you well beyond this red-line!

Sure, you get plenty of allocated time off annually, but most of it's worthless. You can't use it all because only half of your time-off requests will ever be approved, you can't sell it back to the company, and if you can only roll-over 40 hours annually - anything more will be lost. I don't know anyone who has been able to use all of their allotted PTO time in the past 5 years except for those who went out on sick leave for some major illness - oh yeah, and if you ever have to switch over to Long Term Disability, you'll immediately be terminated with no possibility of being rehired.

HR and senior management will listen to you, but they won't hear a word you're saying. They only hear what they want to hear.

Upper-Mid-Level managers are part of the "good-ole-buddy yes-man club" - seems the only way to get into the club is for someone to die of old age. So, unless you feel like waiting 15-20 more years for one of them to keel over, forget about ever getting promoted into their ranks.

Jobs are constantly being posted , but forget about applying for them - most of them never get filled, or the position is posted and then closed without being filled, going back to my first comment about how they work people to death!

The only reason why there aren't more people leaving - there are very few jobs open in the Melbourne area and a rather high number of people in the area looking for work.

I don't have a good outlook for this company or the Melbourne facility - with them doing layoffs at minimum once a year, sometimes twice a year, soon there will be nobody left.

Advice to Management

Corporate management - PLEASE - take a close look at the Melbourne facility and their business practices. People don't complain more because they are afraid of losing their jobs. You will never know all the non-sense going on because you don't take the time to find out for yourselves and your employees are afraid of landing in the unemployment line.

"A large company that you would think would have things together.. Not the case.."

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, some of my co-workers, Healthcare Industry

Cons

Old ways of doing things aka "The Dictaphone or Nuance way", lots of staff that should be working somewhere else due to being shuffled around from group to group. Layoffs at the Melbourne office are always clear, and predictable when they have police cars parked in the back and its a new quarter! Start caring about your employees. Poor management with very little direction unless you mess up or they want you to please a customer even if its for another group. Shifting schedules while being on call is a dumb and easy way to burn out your staff very quickly.

Advice to Management

Get new management. We need new direction and leadership. Trace was a great start but I think there is others that need change. Treat us as humans. Award more then free soda and popcorn as benefits of working for the company. Create a culture, make this a place that has a clear career path; my group has none and It is clear how we got to the predicament of being understaffed and overworked.

3. "Technical support Engineer"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Nuance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good consistent environment, a lot of people work there. Big teams, many projects -typical big company things

Cons

no social events, boring at times. not so exciting environment TBH

Advice to Management

Try to do more social events, make employees feel alive once in a while.