Nuance Transcription Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1.9
Nuance Transcription Services Chairman and CEO Paul Ricci
Paul Ricci

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work life balance and work from home option available" (in 209 reviews)

• "The only pro is being paid on time" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pay is based on these things so you wind up at minimum wage" (in 37 reviews)

• "Low pay for demanding work; unfair QA; docking of pay for minor mistakes" (in 28 reviews)

"Never again"

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time

Pros

Worked from home and set own flexible hours

Cons

Work was outsourced and little to no work left. Pay cut as "dragon" could do the work - NOT.

Advice to Management

Quit filling your own pockets and think about those employees who got the company where they are. Older and more experienced are in fact wiser than the young ones.

"Company is a big fish swallowing up the little fish in several industries"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I tried really hard but I can't think of anything good to say.

Cons

Management never met with employees unless there was a negative reason most of the time. I became an employee of this company through acquisition and not because I wanted to be. The upper management kept changing their quality standards until I couldn't keep up and they terminated my employment. Management needs to learn how to treat the employees like employees and not slaves.

"Got laid off to ship jobs overseas"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Got to work from home

Cons

Management sucks. Bad communication and rude when they do communicate.

"Cusmtomer Service"

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and leave package
    Fair hourly wages
    Room for growth

Cons

Very poor Work-Life balance
    Extremely high stress
    Large work load but limited staffing

Advice to Management

If you want employees who give 100% then you have to give them the same. Money only goes so far.

"Medical Language Specialist"

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked from home. I loved my job. I loved my work content. I loved my scheduled hours. I loved everything about the job itself.

Cons

Management. The letting go on a phone call with literally hundreds of others with no warning, no way to ask questions, the "done effective at end of phone call," the reason of volume and restructuring, the shock of it all.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. But you've heard that before haven't you.

"penalities result in major pay penalties, out of work often"

Current Employee - MLS in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - MLS in Albany, NY

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful platforms, excellent educational programs. Working from home is a big plus and the reason most of us do this job. I've always been met with understanding from management when faced with family situations requiring adjustment of schedule/time off.

Cons

Submit 1 too many reports to QC and it can have a major impact on your pay in the form of penalty resulting in decreased line rate. I recently lost nearly 1/3 of my pay for doing just that (just 1 too many reports to QC). The account I work on allows no blanks to be submitted, so anytime there is a blank the report must be submitted to QC. There are similar penalties for falling below the accuracy rating. This is easier for me to accept since we must always hold our standards for accuracy extremely high...but blanks sometimes just cannot be avoided and I don't believe we should be penalized for trying to ensure accuracy. Also, of late there has been very little work and with no explanation from management. Instead of 4 hours a day of work I have been getting averaging 1-2 hours a day. This makes paying the bills quite the challenge.

Advice to Management

You have so many positives with the platforms and educational programs you offer. MLS morale is low and it's hard to stick with a job where your income can disappear without warning and without any communication as to when things might turn around. The penalties for QC submission are excessive. We are the backbone of the industry yet we are paid poorly and seldom if ever complimented. There are no raises only admonition to work harder and smarter to make more money - yet nearly all MLS I have spoken to agree that our pay has decreased 50% to 60% in the past 10-15 years. Instead of making more money after years in the industry most of us are making less. We ask to be treated with respect and appropriate consistent compensation.

"MEDICAL EDITOR"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Mountain Home, AR
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Mountain Home, AR

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

i DID NOT HAVE TO FIGHT TRAFFIC TO WORK AT THIS HORRIBLE COMPANY.

Cons

"Let me count the ways" Infinite. Low pay, ridiculous benefits, laughable 401-K. Rude support staff (although I had some good managers). Not enough work at times. Let go after the computer meltdown virus, etc because they were too cheap to protect their system. I, too, am finally burned out on medical editing/transcription. Got a few hours notice of layoff. Insulting severance pay after 9 years working for company. A cruel farce of a legitimate company.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. Confess your sins. Treat your employers as if they were your children whom you probably try to love.

"Medical language specialist"

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working from my own home.

Cons

Horrible. Poor communication between management and employees. Stupid policies. Terrible pay.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees the way you would like to be treated.

"Soul Crushing"

Former Employee - Medical Language in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Language in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home, some flexibility in schedule.

Cons

They're killing the industry and their employers. I started at a different company that got bought by Nuance. Fine at first. But the business's main concern is the software division developing Dragon voice recognition software. A job that used to be about writing is about editing voice rec. No problem, that's the industry. But editing gets lower financial compensation. Additionally, there's a huge part of the company that's outsourced (I notice that most of the positive reviews of Nuance come from offshore employees), which is used as an excuse to further drive down salaries. The pay is obscenely low. And I see people complaining that they got penalized for errors. I went a little slow and researched things. What I found was that a lot of errors still slipped through, but boy did I get penalized for not meeting line requirements. If I didn't live in a city with a high minimum wage, I couldn't have survived, but I got angry letters frequently because they had to keep giving me make-up pay because my line count didn't match that minimum wage. The benefits were fairly nonexistent. In the end, I got so physically and emotionally sick that I had to quit.

Advice to Management

STOP BURNING OUT YOUR EMPLOYEES. I was a good, loyal employee who loved transcription, and now the thought of ever going back to that line of work is pretty horrifying. Pay them what they're worth. Give better health benefits; your employees will all need a lot of mental health support. Prioritize your domestic employees.

"Lawsuit waiting to happen"

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. You will not get the advertised pay. They will take it in every way imaginable

Cons

Greedy company, appears to have a mission of destroying our profession to sell dumb as dirt voice recognition products, should be illegal and likely will be found to be just that

Advice to Management

You are a joke, lying to employees to keep them hanging on. You will ultimately answer for what you have deliberately done. I pray you endure twice as much pain as you have caused your employees with your malicious greedy manipulation