Nuance Transcription Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1.8
Nuance Transcription Services Chairman and CEO Paul Ricci
Paul Ricci

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance and work from home option available (in 194 reviews)

• Paid on time, work is flexible but demanding (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is based on these things so you wind up at minimum wage (in 37 reviews)

• New pay scale is less than 1/2 the industry standard (in 27 reviews)

"Never again"

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time

Pros

Worked from home and set own flexible hours

Cons

Work was outsourced and little to no work left. Pay cut as "dragon" could do the work - NOT.

Advice to Management

Quit filling your own pockets and think about those employees who got the company where they are. Older and more experienced are in fact wiser than the young ones.

2. "MLS at Nuance Communications, 7+ years"

Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helpful managers, supervisors, IT. They do their best to keep you informed about current and upcoming needs of the company and the hospitals we work for.

Cons

Work flow has been an issue the last 2 years. It has been hard to make a full time wage with work running out a few times per year.

"Used to be a great company. Went downhill quickly. When you start making good money they find a way to hinder it."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Direct deposit, they can provide the computer. Good tech support. Platforms are easy to use thankfully because there are so many of them.

Cons

Not allowed to make up time if you miss hours. Pay scale is complicated. Scoring system for errors can be harsh. Management down plays minimal work.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and compensate them fairly!

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - MLS in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - MLS in Remote, OR

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, terrific managers. Only one account at a time to keep track of. Set up accounts by Primary, Secondary and Tertiary accounts. In my opinion this is best practice. I have been doing this for over 20 years, and this is the safest as far as errors/compliance with client specs that I have ever used.

Cons

Not nearly enough work to go around. Constant change in managers.

Advice to Management

Provide more options to OM's to keep their people busy.

"Prior employee"

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always paid on time, direct deposit.

Cons

Several. Please be careful working for this company in the capacity of Medical Transcriptionist. Work accounts are usually outsourced to US MTSO vendors or overseas to their company in India. At times, I felt I was just a number, not a employee.

Advice to Management

Stop being so greedy.

6. "Medical Language Specialist"

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of my supervisors was very kind.

Cons

Horrible communication and pay scale.

"Disgrace to medical transcription industry"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Lebanon, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Lebanon, PA

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Direct deposit, somewhat flexible hours.

Cons

Promise you tons of work and great pay scale which they end up taking away from you. You are just a number, they don't care about you. Whatever money you make, they take from you - terrible grid scale for pay. God forbid you should leave blanks, you get a pay deduction. What is more important, the quality of the report or how much money they are making. You figure it out. I am so glad I am no longer a part of this company. Was with them for 8 years part time and when they lost accounts, guess what, I had a 6 hour notice that my services were no longer needed, and this was done through a recorded message. What a joke. I would never ever recommend this company to even my worst enemy. I have been doing medical transcription for over 30 years and have never been treated so poorly.

Advice to Management

Consider your employees and stop worrying about how you can make more money off of them. You should sell to a company who has a real passion for the industry and the welfare of the patients it involves.

"MLS, this company gutted our profession"

Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Remote, OR

I have been working at Nuance Transcription Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Nothing can overcome the horrible treatment of employees and constant new ways to take pay from us. PTSD is caused by sustained stress and abuse like this. Text book. Deplorable yet somehow legal in this country.

Cons

Grid designed not to teach but to take LARGE amount of money from line pay that we have earned. No supervision when starting new accounts, promoting likelihood of errors causing harm to patients by docking pay for asking for help or confirmation of questionable dictation, NO standard for dictating clinicians, NO allowance for awful dictators and awful sound, highly flawed speech recognition systems. I only gave 1 star because I can't give zero. This particular company has destroyed an honorable profession that requires skills and dedication to patients. No chance for that anymore. BTW, they claim I am one of their best. That's how they treat their best.

Advice to Management

You would not care or act. This company wants our profession to be overseas and underpaid in the name of profit, at any cost to patient safety. Nuance has serially bought and destroyed companies and employees until hospitals have no choice but to use their flawed and dangerous product. You will be on the wrong side when the results of your selfish dangerous model causes serious harm to unsuspecting patients.

"Extremely disorganized company"

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time

Pros

Worked from home; health/dental/vision/life benefits okay

Cons

Started working for this company after a buyout and went all down hill from there. Extreme disorganization, started loosing accounts, false promises of new accounts coming on board, ended up with no work and using up paid time off, which they don't give you much of to begin with, and at that, they only grant it quarterly rather than per pay period. Pay scale/grid is terrible and they end up screwing you out of lines/pay because they penalize you for pending a report to make sure it is accurate. They only care about the bottom line and making a huge profit rather than showing that they truly appreciate the hard work of their transcriptionists!!! Would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a transcription job!!!!

Advice to Management

You need far better communication among staff and between management and clients so you keep transcriptionsts properly informed and up to date. A much better pay scale needs to be developed to pay hard-working transcriptionists a descent pay check. Also need to have a much better PTO accrual system with amounts granted each pay period and at a much higher rate so that transcriptionists can plan ahead and have their very much deserved time off to rest and spend time with their families.

"Worst of the worst"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist
    Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist

I worked at Nuance Transcription Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pros here.

Cons

Imagine you're a nurse who's been moved to a new dept/specialty. Everything is new but every time you ask for help, you lose pay and you're given no time to learn your new role. Actually, imagine this scenario in ANY career. This is Nuance. You will moved to new accts frequently and will lose money every time.

Advice to Management

Your pay scale is offensive. Your policies are demeaning. Your no blank/first time right rule is victimizing. You are scum.