Nuance "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor

Nuance Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Aug 10, 2019

3.3
Nuance CEO Mark Benjamin
Mark Benjamin
Pros
Cons
  • "work-life balance can be difficult at times(in 55 reviews)

• "I heard later that Nuance fired all its California-based transcriptionists because that state instituted a higher minimum wage ((in 51 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews

"Thinking about working for them gives me chills of disgust"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pro of working for them was that I learned how to use EditScript, which is a program I use in my current job. I did work with some very fine transcriptionists and some of the team leaders were nice and sympathetic.

Cons

I have read through the reviews by other transcriptionist/editors and have been nodding my head for an hour. Yes, I experienced everything they did; their reviews are legit; I experienced this myself. Where do I begin? I was recruited for this job. I’ve been transcribing for over 30 years. This was the worst experience of my professional life. Right from the get-go, the recruiter represented the compensation was at more than $0.08/line, but that was a lie; he had said nothing about the “edited” work was compensated at half that. I worked here for about 15 months. It was awful. I was required to be available to work 40 hours a week; my shift began in the afternoon and I worked until 11 p.m. or something. However, there was never enough work to work more than 30 hours/week. I was scheduled to work, couldn’t work for anyone else, but for at least two hours a day, there was no work and no pay. I was still supposed to check in periodically to see if there was work, but this was uncompensated. I honestly couldn’t afford to live on $12K for a full-time job. At the time I was l living in poverty working for them, Nuance’s CEO Paul Ricci was reported to be the highest paid executive in Massachusetts, earning around $33 MILLION per year. There were frequent problems with the platform I was using. I found the IT folks pleasant, but the hours I waited for a callback for someone to remote access my computer and fix things were uncompensated time. I was repeatedly told “Nobody else has these problems” and it was suggested that I get a new computer. The computer I was working on was less than a year old, but I did go out and get a new computer, and the problems persisted. I supplied the computer, the Word software, the high-speed internet connection, the electricity; Nuance’s contribution to this overhead was ZERO. There were phone meetings and emails from managers where we were continually promised more work which never materialized. I worked on several accounts and each account had different editing/transcription standards. The QA was punitive. I was expected to contend with horrible sound quality (imagine 5 minutes of static) and produce a transcript with zero blanks or else my compensation rate for the entire pay period would be reduced. The entire system was designed so that transcriptionists were paid the lowest rate possible while keeping them constantly hungry for work. I came across an article on sick systems at issendai dot com and it really hit home. This is the Nuance business model. I remember bursting into tears and telling my supervisor of the moment (they changed frequently) that I had to borrow money for groceries. This was met with stony silence. By having us work at home (this was touted as a benefit) Nuance kept its transcriptionist/editors isolated; we couldn’t join forces or discuss working conditions and we couldn’t unionize or collectively bargain. Soon after I started, they announced with great fanfare and patting themselves on the back that everyone with Nuance NTS (the transcription end of Nuance) would be getting 40 WHOLE HOURS OF PTO PER YEAR. Cue the confetti. This was PTO that had to be used for sick leave, holidays, and vacation. The crappy health insurance plan had a $2600 yearly deductible. That’s right; on an annual salary of $12K/year, I was supposed to pay the first $2.6K out of pocket before the insurance would kick in the first dime. I have been on state medical assistance and it had better benefits. I was actually offered a promotion and higher rate to work as a member of some sort of special group of MTs that worked with new accounts, but my start date kept getting pushed back, which was disappointing; I kept hoping for more work and a tiny bit more money, but it was never going to come. (They can’t control you effectively by fulfilling their promises, can they?) I had applied for another job and asked my Nuance manager if I could use her as a work reference. She agreed and stipulated she’d use her personal email address. She mentioned that Nuance never answered any employment history inquiries. Under her breath, she suggested that I not give Nuance any notice of my impending departure. If I gave them a two-week notice, her superiors would have forced her to take me off the schedule. I heard later that Nuance fired all its California-based transcriptionists because that state instituted a higher minimum wage ($10/hour) and well, Nuance’s business model is based on exploiting an underpaid workforce. (I just noticed on Nuance’s website that they no longer hire in my state, either; our state minimum wage was increased to about $10/hour, too. I ESCAPED THIS HELLHOLE JUST IN TIME.) After I resigned (escaped), I was contacted about a class action lawsuit concerning uncompensated time. I didn’t join the lawsuit because I still felt traumatized over the company's abusive, dehumanizing treatment. I was with my current employer about a year when Nuance had that big meltdown/computer virus thing where for days and days the dictation system couldn’t be accessed. Part of me was thrilled that this had happened to them, but I know that this disaster was borne on the backs of the MTs who couldn’t afford to lose even a day’s pay.

Advice to Management

I have no advice because I'm sure Nuance management has been reading these reviews and realizing with satisfaction that this business model of theirs (exploitation, greed) is working as they intended.

Nuance2019-08-10

"Don't Work There!"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Nuance full-time for less than a year

Pros

No pros that I can't think of. Even if you have to work at home, I'm sure you could find a better company.

Cons

They are greedy and count off for minor mistakes just to get your pay down to minimum wage. Believe me, if you don't have any mistakes, they will find some supposedly mistakes. They should be ashamed of themselves. Also, if you are a good producer, they will slow the work down and claim that they don't have any work available. Either way, a person can't make more than minimum wage.

Advice to Management

No advice to speak of, but I honestly can't see how you people can sleep at night knowing how badly you treat employees.

Nuance2019-05-12

"Just awful"

Former Employee - QC Editor in Austin, TX

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was hourly when I joined and that was good.

Cons

I took a job here because they paid an hourly wage - unusual in the MT business. The benefits got more and more expensive, and the 401k matching was paltry. Management was ineffective and uncommunicative. At one point I asked for a list of clients I'd be working on, and was told I couldn't have it because NO ONE HAD THE FULL LIST. Just awful. I went through the return to production pay (which was bad), and the transition to fishbowl every-day auditing (which was bad), and the horrible compensation grid where if you made a couple of mistakes you went to minimum wage for two weeks (obviously bad), and the firing people and refusing to tell anyone if they were still or not, and the complete mismanagement of the schedule that left people either with no work and not getting paid or too much work and being penalized for not doing it, and the benefits going up and up and up, and the utter refusal of management to clarify expectations, and on and on and on... and for my trouble I was demoted and then laid off.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly. Go back to hourly. Stop constantly auditing. Learn transparency. Hire effective managers. Give your employees the information they need to do the job. Learn to manage a schedule so people have work. Stop treating your employees like they're nefarious criminals out to steal from you. Improve communication. TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE HUMAN ADULTS.

Nuance2019-03-02

"Do not accept a job at this company!"

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Nuance full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. Their horrendous and dishonest way of operating and the way employees are treated overbears any good things about this company, the only thing being working offsite.

Cons

These people are dishonest, greedy, and despicable! They shut down my department at a hospital just to get their contract, offered to hire all of the hospital employees at their same wages for 3 months, then after that, your pay will be less than minimum wage. Then, 5 months later, you will be laid off immediately, no 2 weeks' notice, only explanation being "not enough work." They care nil about their employees, you are just a number, and they send work overseas (India) to get it done even cheaper! There is a lawsuit against them for not paying employees for breaks and lunch, which is the law.

Advice to Management

At least return emails and phone calls from employees! We are human beings and you are messing with peoples' lives here.

Nuance2018-11-20
  5. "Only Worth the Experience"

Former Freelancer - Medical Language Specialist in Remote, OR

I worked at Nuance for less than a year

Pros

Great experience for those in the medical field.

Cons

Extremely low pay that doesn't even match minimum wage, horrible management.

Advice to Management

Management needs to train MLS properly each time an account is switched and not be upset when they come to them asking for help. Also need to be more on the ball in helping MLS with questions. 2-3 days response time when most of these reports are due within hours is unacceptable. Cannot imagine any other position in which you seek your manager/team leaders help and do not get a response for two days. What is at risk with this position is NOT worth the 4-6 dollars an hour you are making. It is insulting to have a job which requires a college education and/or hefty amount of experience to be paid the amount that you get away with paying people. MLS are putting their education/futures on the line for a poorly trained, little help accessible job that is paying them nothing. Would recommend this job solely as for a line in your resume in the experience section, not for someone looking to support themselves, let alone a family.

Nuance2018-10-24

"Soul Crushing"

Former Employee - Medical Language in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home, some flexibility in schedule.

Cons

They're killing the industry and their employers. I started at a different company that got bought by Nuance. Fine at first. But the business's main concern is the software division developing Dragon voice recognition software. A job that used to be about writing is about editing voice rec. No problem, that's the industry. But editing gets lower financial compensation. Additionally, there's a huge part of the company that's outsourced (I notice that most of the positive reviews of Nuance come from offshore employees), which is used as an excuse to further drive down salaries. The pay is obscenely low. And I see people complaining that they got penalized for errors. I went a little slow and researched things. What I found was that a lot of errors still slipped through, but boy did I get penalized for not meeting line requirements. If I didn't live in a city with a high minimum wage, I couldn't have survived, but I got angry letters frequently because they had to keep giving me make-up pay because my line count didn't match that minimum wage. The benefits were fairly nonexistent. In the end, I got so physically and emotionally sick that I had to quit.

Advice to Management

STOP BURNING OUT YOUR EMPLOYEES. I was a good, loyal employee who loved transcription, and now the thought of ever going back to that line of work is pretty horrifying. Pay them what they're worth. Give better health benefits; your employees will all need a lot of mental health support. Prioritize your domestic employees.

Nuance2018-05-13

"Don't bother"

Former Employee - Medical Language Specialist

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work from home. Most managers are very helpful.

Cons

Impossible to make money here due to pay grid. In the end, was not even able to use PTO unless they could find someone to cover my shift in advance. When work is not available, forced to use PTO hours or go unpaid. Very difficult to make anything over minimum wage. As much as I loved my work, I was a total ball of stress almost every day struggling to get by. Was let go in mass layoff in September via email/phone call effective immediately after 11 years of employment.

Advice to Management

As important as the MT's job is, we deserve to be compensated for our work. Stop looking for any way you can to pay us less.

Nuance2017-12-03

"Medical Transcriptionist stay away!"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in New York, NY

I worked at Nuance full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no positive things to say about this company.

Cons

Below minimum wage pay due to out of work situations, given makeup pay due to employee status, only opportunity for more work was to work more than a 40 hour week. QA is horrible. Their attitude is condescending and belittling.

Advice to Management

Treat transcriptionists as the valued resource they are. Pay a living wage for VR since 99% of the time, the entire report has to be retyped and at the best the time spent listening to the report is still time spent regardless of line count.

Nuance2017-11-08

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Medical Transcriptionist/Editor

I worked at Nuance part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home was nice

Cons

Not enough work to live on. Some weeks you have work and others no work. They move you around to different accounts and struggle with new doctors and styles. Overly aggressive Quality control. The average wage is minimum wage. Supervisors who don't care about you and don't communicate with you. Won't help you. Even though you make no errors, 100% QA, are dependable, and get your job done you are just a number to them. Yesterday they fired over 250 transcriptionists as they can't manage their accounts. Supervisors show favoritism as there are a few transcriptionists who always got their hours in and worked on only one dedicated account and got top of the grid.

Advice to Management

You are dealing with the lives of real people. That was just bad, bad, bad, firing 250 people without any warning so they could at least get their lives in order first.

Nuance2017-09-13

"RUN, THIEVES, SCAM"

Current Employee - MLS in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Nuance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home. I wish I could give NEGATIVE 50 stars.

Cons

There is not enough space to write them all. Recently, we were told we would receive incentives for helping bail them out of cyber attack. We caught up all work and when it came time to pay they did not. They all of a sudden said it was platform specific when nothing said that before. They since deleted all messages where it showed we would be paid extra. Management only cares about lining their pockets. We already barely make a living wage and now they take the incentive away. The pay grid is ridiculous. You get penalized for not putting commas in the correct places or sending jobs to QA . Pay is based on these things so you wind up at minimum wage. They do this so nobody can make any money. It is a DISGUSTING company. I have NEVER in my life felt so beat down and worthless. I am getting out ASAP.

Advice to Management

Pay what you said we would get when we worked hard to get the work caught up due to cyber attack. Treat your employees better. You want 99% accuracy, treat us like we matter. Pay us like we matter. This company and management are a DISGRACE.

Nuance2017-08-28